Damn truck wont start

1lo620

Ok I went to start my Blue Show truck today. I havent driven it in just over a month. When it parked it ran and started fine. So today it turns over but no start. then i notice that my stereo wasnt coming on. So I turned it to acc. and the stereo turned on. So I am thinking ignition switch... So I put another I had and then stereo came on when i was trying to start but still wont fire up. I am getting gas, I couldnt check for spark, no tools and I was by myself. Now I just got a new exchaust put on it and I noticed it has been back firing a bit. Is it possible, it is out of time a bit and I fouled a plug??? But that wouldnt explain the ignition problem....would it....I am so tired of not knowing how to work on cars. I am about ready to sell them all and just buy and new Titan or something. Any thoughts, suggenstions would be greatly appreciated. I would love to avoid taking it to the shop????

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Put key in ON position. Then run a small wire from + on the battery to the starter solinoid (small wire on starter) That jumper wire will crank the engine. It might start then. If so, your ignition switch is funky. (spark turns off while cranking)

oh, be sure transmission is in neutral. :D

The 'no tools' check for spark:

Pull plug wore off plug, put old spark plug in end, lay on grounded surface like valve cover, crank motor look for spark.

I find mine hard to start after sitting ... pump the shit out of it and try.

I have this inline light bulb that clicks into the plug wires, its handy for a one man operation. I think you could hook it up and from the drivers side see if it was lighting up while you are cranking it. Where is the truck? Is it in Seattle? If so I could swing by.

If point dizzy ck the points to see if its opening?

Does this have a MSD 6A or something in it? I remember you saying you had one or wanted it installed.

I would pull the center plug wire from coil and put it near the chassis and see if its sparks when you turn it over? REMEMBER when I was working on your truck what I did to see if spark. This tells me if the dizzy has poer and is firing when the Points or Reluctor is turing inside the dizzy cap..

Then maybe ck at the spark plugs or wires.(maybe new ones)

Ck if Intake is tight.

weird about the ignition switch?

I remember you said someone wired it up last time. Dizzy or coil went bad last time. But no need to rewire it that was the case. Question the guy who did it.

....I am so tired of not knowing how to work on cars. I am about ready to sell them all and just buy and new Titan or something. Any thoughts, suggenstions would be greatly appreciated. I would love to avoid taking it to the shop????

If it turns over, in order to run you need only two things ... spark and gas. Both are easy to check for on side of road. Get a note book and wright down.

SPARK:

Pull a long plug wire like #4 and stick something metal in the end like a piece of fence wire or screw driver and hang over the driver's fender with a 1/4" gap from the metal. Roll down window and reach in and turn motor over. You should see a nice fat spark jump the gap.

YES there is spark: Put the wire back on and check for fuel.

NO spark: Pull coil wire off cap and test for spark.

YES there is spark: distributor cap or rotor is bad and not letting spark through to plug wires. If wet, dry it. If dirty, clean it. If worn, replace it

NO spark: remove cap if you have points and bump motor over while checking that the points do open and close.

NO open and close: adjust till they do any small amount will get you going to get home. Even if you have to bend the arm on the points to get some gap, anything to get home.

YES they are working: check ignition switch, or jumper 12 volts to the + side of coil to get you home.

GAS:

Take air filter off and look at sight glass on front of carb. Fuel should be at line etched into glass or the dot on the bull's eye.

YES there's fuel: Pump throttle while looking down the carb... there should be a strong squirt of gas from the accelerator pump. Check that choke is on if cold and open if warm.

NO fuel: Check the tank has gas... gauge could be bad. Pull hose off pump and crank. Pump should squirt gas out.

YES fuel from pump: needle valve or float stuck shut at carb not letting gas in. Tap with piece of wood or screw driver handle around carb fuel inlet to dislodge valve/ float. Remove three screws take front off carb and manually check float and needle valve.

NO fuel from pump: Check inline fuel filter, replace or by-pass to get going.

Icehouse is coming by tomorrow to checl it out for me > igot some new wires and plugs. But I am starting to thinkit might be the battery. I cant tilt my bed, meaning the battery is low. S I am going to charge it up and see what happens.

Redeye...When I get ready to fire up my chop top, or my burgandy old school truck. I am sure I will be able to use your assistance....so we will talk.. I thank all you that gave me advice...

I really do appreciate it. I am not the best mechanic around and I usually need help....I guess I better learn how to work on these creatues if I am going to drive them.

I will let you know what I find out....

I am not the best mechanic around and I usually need help....I guess I better learn how to work on these creatues if I am going to drive them

I gave you that DVD what happen to it?

I have looked at your DVD several times...And I just never had an engine that needed that much work to it. Sorry If I am not as mechanicaly inclind as some of you. I admit when I am over my head. I would love to learn how to do eclectical work and engine work. But at this time, I just dont know all that I am doing. And I much rather ask or pay someone before I make it worse...And Again Hainz, I am sorry if your video dint make me the Datsun mechanic of the year....It is a great video and I hope to use it some day...

It is all good. I just want a truck I can drive. I dont care how fast it is, if it has dual carbs...I am more concerned with the reliablity of the car...And I know Hainz, that your the man for the L series engines. I would love for you to build me an engine one day....But for now I have to deal with what I got.

ANd the not starting issue is onmy blue show truck and it is bone stock, points, stock carb etc...and that is what is not starting. My chop top has the MSD coil and crap on it ....but that is for another time!!!

Have Ice run you through the basics. You'll get it eventually. I've had years of broke down on the side of the road lessons of experience, some friends that know alot and I still get stumped on occasion :)

Didn't know that truck had points? Did you already try jumping it to test the battery theory?

If it turns over, in order to run you need only two things ... spark and gas. Both are easy to check for on side of road. Get a note book and wright down.

SPARK:

Pull a long plug wire like #4 and stick something metal in the end like a piece of fence wire or screw driver and hang over the driver's fender with a 1/4" gap from the metal. Roll down window and reach in and turn motor over. You should see a nice fat spark jump the gap.

YES there is spark: Put the wire back on and check for fuel.

NO spark: Pull coil wire off cap and test for spark.

YES there is spark: distributor cap or rotor is bad and not letting spark through to plug wires. If wet, dry it. If dirty, clean it. If worn, replace it

NO spark: remove cap if you have points and bump motor over while checking that the points do open and close.

NO open and close: adjust till they do any small amount will get you going to get home. Even if you have to bend the arm on the points to get some gap, anything to get home.

YES they are working: check ignition switch, or jumper 12 volts to the + side of coil to get you home.

GAS:

Take air filter off and look at sight glass on front of carb. Fuel should be at line etched into glass or the dot on the bull's eye.

YES there's fuel: Pump throttle while looking down the carb... there should be a strong squirt of gas from the accelerator pump. Check that choke is on if cold and open if warm.

NO fuel: Check the tank has gas... gauge could be bad. Pull hose off pump and crank. Pump should squirt gas out.

YES fuel from pump: needle valve or float stuck shut at carb not letting gas in. Tap with piece of wood or screw driver handle around carb fuel inlet to dislodge valve/ float. Remove three screws take front off carb and manually check float and needle valve.

NO fuel from pump: Check inline fuel filter, replace or by-pass to get going.

Great "rules of thumb" for ANY carbureted car that has a starting problem! :yes: ..

Fouled plugs can cause a no start or compound a no start. I had a battery that was strong enough to crank, but not to start, as another poster had. I pumped a little too much gas into the intake trying to get it going, and the plugs were gas fouled. I bought a new battery, tried to reuse the old plugs after they dried out, and still no dice. Bought some new plugs, and it started up. Plugs are cheap for a Datsun, so it's well worth it to throw a new set in there.