Heater Control Knob

510_dreamin

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, 510_dreamin said:

Can someone recommend a replacement heater knob (driver side of the control panel for the off-high settings) 

I can't seem to find one that would match. 

Thanks!

How about those "chicken head" knobs that go on guitar amps?

• Like 1
On 4/14/2020 at 6:04 AM, 510_dreamin said:

Can someone recommend a replacement heater knob (driver side of the control panel for the off-high settings) 

I can't seem to find one that would match. 

Thanks!

Interested too as mine only has one knob...

Dash-2.jpg

I just snapped to this......the switch that goes there is for either the dome light or a dash (map) light. If so equipped.

Most just had the blind plug as pictured above.

11 minutes ago, KELMO said:

I just snapped to this......the switch that goes there is for either the dome light or a dash (map) light. If so equipped.

Most just had the blind plug as pictured above.

Ah, OK I see the symbol for a light now next to this switch/plug...so above my radio hole is a transparent plastic rectangle, is this where a dash light would illuminate..? And if so what does the switch that turns this on look like...?

Cheers,

JK

If I remember correctly, yes, that bit above the radio is the lens for that lamp. It seems to  me the first 510 wagon I owned had this option....but that was 1980 something. I am pretty sure neither of my current 510's have this option but I will poke around the shop this weekend and see what I find.

Duncan on here has a build thread that may have a picture if this. I just don't know for sure. His wagon is an AUS import.

3 hours ago, KELMO said:

Duncan on here has a build thread that may have a picture if this. I just don't know for sure. His wagon is an AUS import.

My wagon had the factory map light, and the car was apart for so long during the resto, I couldn't find the knob for it.  I ended up getting a fan control knob from the Keeper.  I'm not sure what knob was on it originally, but the matching knobs looks just fine...

1 hour ago, Duncan said:

My wagon had the factory map light, and the car was apart for so long during the resto, I couldn't find the knob for it.  I ended up getting a fan control knob from the Keeper.  I'm not sure what knob was on it originally, but the matching knobs looks just fine...

Probably a job further down the line, but I'd like to get the light above the radio working again at some point so if you've a picture I'd be grateful. I'm sure I can locate a similar sort of knob hers somewhere.

Cheers,

JK

1 hour ago, JK510 said:

Probably a job further down the line, but I'd like to get the light above the radio working again at some point so if you've a picture I'd be grateful. I'm sure I can locate a similar sort of knob hers somewhere.

Cheers,

JK

It's the exact same knob you have for the blower speed control.  I just assumed the two knobs were the same from the factory.

3 hours ago, JK510 said:

Thanks for that, can I also ask what the switch to the left of the ashtray does too, mine just has a hole here too..?

It's my understanding that depending on which market the car went to, they could populate it with other options. (rear window defrost, etc, etc)  I used it for my electric fan controller bypass switch since mine was empty when I got it.

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

All USA spec 1970-1973 510's had the fan blower switch on the left of the heater panel.  The "map light" above the radio was a dealer option, so pretty rare, but all of the 70-73 cars had the white/yellowish lens in place, even without the map light.  The switch for the map light would have mounted on the right of the heater panel.  1970-1971's had a simple black plastic blanking cap on the right.  The 72-73's had a red "fasten seatbelt" illuminated cap.  The USA spec 1973 only had a rear window defrost, the defrost switch was to the right of the ashtray.  The 70-72's had a simple black plastic blanking cap.  All 70-73's had a cigarette lighter to the left of the ashtray.

BrandonS......what light switch is to the left of the ashtray?  Is it German market or did you install it there?  Cig lighter is on the right!  Just noticed your car is RHD...............in Germany?  Gauges appear to be SSS......??  Cool 😎 

2 hours ago, yenpit said:

All USA spec 1970-1973 510's had the fan blower switch on the left of the heater panel.  The "map light" above the radio was a dealer option, so pretty rare, but all of the 70-73 cars had the white/yellowish lens in place, even without the map light.  The switch for the map light would have mounted on the right of the heater panel.  1970-1971's had a simple black plastic blanking cap on the right.  The 72-73's had a red "fasten seatbelt" illuminated cap.  The USA spec 1973 only had a rear window defrost, the defrost switch was to the right of the ashtray.  The 70-72's had a simple black plastic blanking cap.  All 70-73's had a cigarette lighter to the left of the ashtray.

BrandonS......what light switch is to the left of the ashtray?  Is it German market or did you install it there?  Cig lighter is on the right!  Just noticed your car is RHD...............in Germany?  Gauges appear to be SSS......??  Cool 😎 

That’s some good info!  To answer your question. The light to the left of the ashtray is the OE fog light switch for the fog light option grill. The cigarette lighter is on the right as you said, but was in the center console when I took the pic. I believe in 71 (the year of mine) the fog switch was always there regardless if you had optioned the car with the fog light grill or not. Along with the switch, the wiring for the grill is also in the engine bay harness already. I swapped over to 9007 headlight housings and use the switch to control the low beam element for the inside lights that have yellow bulbs in.  

Also, the car Is RHD because I had bought while I lived in Japan. It’s an 1800SSS Coupe so it has the SSS gauges and other SSS bits. I brought it with me to Germany when I had moved.  It’ll follow me back to the states when I finally head back. 

Edited by BrandonS