Bent valve?

Scrapson

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So your implying that it might not be the spark plugs? It could be the wires but I replaced them when I got the pickup the old ones were cracked the cap was “replaced” from what the guy I bought it from said. The rotor looks fine as far as the mechanic was concerned. 

What you're saying is you don't really know about the cap. Might as well get a new one. If it doesn't help, you have a good spare.

What previous owner said: "Yeah I replaced the cap with a new one"

What he meant: "It was new 3 years ago"

Alright here’s what happend yesterday when I drove it and been told there’s no spark on cylinders 3 and 4 my problem is there’s spark outside of the motor but in there well there’s no spark we pulled the wires and it ran the same on 3 and 4 but got worse for 1 and 2. I’m replacing plugs and cap 

I had a buddy of my pull apart the carb he’s got more knowledge on this than I do the gasket between the bowl and the stacks is completely blown out. However today it did idle and it’s flooded to all hell so I’m letting it breathe over night and slapping a different carb on till I can order my rebuild kit for the 32/36 on it. Stupid Weber downdrafts. It idled for 10 seconds and fell flat on its face the exhaust leak is extremely loud so next is welding those. New plugs helped so much I gapped them to 40 thousandths which is about right between 38 and 42. So hopefully this weekend I’ll have scrapson back. The cap looks like it’s brand new there’s barely any wear but the rotor needs replaced so I orders it. 

Edited by Scrapson
I’m wetarded.

I cant see how 3 and 4 plugs were NO change when you pulled the plug wires. How can this be the carb.?  Maybe the carb fouled them out. YOu would have caught this when it happen again and on different plugs then figure the carb was flooding out(smell of gas????)

. Just so happens 3 and 4 were the weakest plugs and fouled out.

Webers are great simple carbs.

I rebuild kit is just a new accell pump and needle valve and  some gaskets. If its worn out its worn out. Buy a new one they are cheap 250-300$

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
5 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

A fault with the carb is not likely to cause two cylinders not firing.

Get a new cap.

DITTO !!

One of the first things I change when a new vehicle enters my collection are all the inexpensive, easy to change ignition parts.

plugs, wires, cap & rotor, and points if it has them. 

To keep chasing a miss, or dead cylinder without doing this, is just plain silly,

especially if you can get shocked by putting your hand on the distributor.

• Like 2

No I ordered the cap I was supposed to pick it up today but that’ll be Thursday when I don’t have work till 8 I’ll get it if it’s not the carb but I think it’s the cap or the distributor might be worn because where the little contacts should be barely touching but one is almost 20 thousandths away from the contact which is way more than the others on cylinder 4. 

• Like 1