Bent valve?

Scrapson

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks correct.

clean up the area and you have to drop the oil pan abit so the gasket don’t rip when slipping the front cover on.You could buy a gasket and cut the front section and just use that.Others might say use some black rtv.

I also but a cunt hair amount around the water port passages and up in the corners of the head.I assume the head is torque down already.dont pinch the head gasket in the corners.Do a couple dry runs on doing this Also once the front cover on do some dry runs on distributor install once you got it figured out make sure oil in oil pump with new gasket

• Like 1

Started right up and ran like garbage. Adjusted the valves ran another compression test and it was 210 all the way across the board no oil but that was stellar compression as far as I was concerned. Timing is good it’s at 10° of advance but just runs like garbage makes an awful clopping noise like your dog drinking water ya know? I think the carb is messed up and we tried adjusting it but just won’t run right. I’m running out of ideas here. 

The distributor does have a little play but it just changes from the 11:20 position to the 11:25 position with the amount it can wiggle. I’m not how much is too much on that. We got them in the correct firing order and sitting for 15 minutes trying to figure out the orientation. 

I should mention the distributor shocked the living shit out of my friend when it was running we were going to put the vacuum advance line on and he touched the plastic cap and he just turned pale for about a minute so maybe the distributor is going out? I read on different forums just to replace the distributor so im going to reset the carbs adjustments ill just take it out 2 turns on the air fuel adjustment and the idle screw a turn just to see if it'll awaken from its shallow grave.

If he got a shock this says the distributor cap or the wires are letting voltage leak out. Voltage will ALWAYS look for the shortest path to ground so make sure the cap rotor and wires are in good shape so that the shortest path is across the spark plug gap. I use dielectric grease on my nipples too.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Scrapson said:

...runs like garbage makes an awful clopping noise like your dog drinking water ya know?

1 hour ago, Scrapson said:

I should mention the distributor shocked the living shit out of my friend when it was running we were going to put the vacuum advance line on and he touched the plastic cap and he just turned pale for about a minute...

That could be a symptom and a cause. A bad wire or a cracked cap or other similar problem with the high voltage produced by the ignition could make a noise like you describe, and could cause it to run like crap too.

1 hour ago, Scrapson said:

I should mention the distributor shocked the living shit out of my friend 

At least you did it right.......

Never, ever diagnose possible ignition issues by touching them yourself,

always have a friend (male or female) do it for you.

"Honey, can you please hold this wire while I try to start this".

electrical-shock-funny-girl-having-probl

• Like 1

Check for spark on all cylinders cylinder 3&4 have none I’ll replace the plugs they look like they’ve had a lot of miles then after that if it doesn’t fix it I’ll do a cap. I had the local mechanic take a gander at it he said change the plugs. It felt good to drive it around the block I missed it. 

Remember that a spark will seek out the easiest path to ground. This could be the thin coating of carbon on the plug tip. Once clean, check again. Naturally you can't see what's going on inside when air is compressed by the piston.... and don't forget that your friend did get a shock.

Well I can clean them off again but they do need to be replaced I would think I’ve put 3,000 miles on them and who knows how many before. I got some of the strangest looks and I made my coworkers day by driving by I don’t think I’m selling it soon. Side note same guy that got shocked to shit