720 Engine Swap?

Angeldust720

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you remember the old Mazda pickups that had the signal lights mounted above the front bumpers? Forget the years but quite a while ago. A friend of mine shoehorned a 302 V8 into one. Lot of work, though, had to do a lot of firewall work.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, ]2eDeYe said:

I vote for a KA. 🙂

I mean, of course.

However, the VQ35DE would fit better than a straight-6 though.

Height from top of oil pan to top of intake manifold is 28"
Width from head to head not including piping is 22.5"

Overall length from front idler pulley to where the trans bolts up is only 21"

Might save you having to do a firewall push but may require inner fender "adjustments" which is far easier than the firewall.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Angeldust720 said:

Wait what about a 240sx engine has anyone tried that yet also?

I did, works well. Little bit too much work for what it's worth as Datzenmike mentioned.
With that said, if you're looking to say turbo-charge in the future the KA is a rather easy platform to work with.

• Like 3

Crytek89s swap is well written in the how to section. You have to have tools and a place to work. The kae is the easiest but is not easy. There is support for mounts and wiring on here. Except maybe the 4.3 vortec any American pushrod motor is a waste of time. There are dozens of documented swaps on here that never get completed. I am rolling a 1995 truck kae in my 82 4x4 and love it but it is a crapton of work and not cheap.

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...

It is tons of work, but they are the closest thing to a bolt in conversion you will find. The bellhousing of your trans will bolt to the KA24, but custom motor mounts will be needed, an exhaust system, plumbing and wiring. If I had all the pieces here in my shop, I could probably have one done in a week, but I do engine swaps for a living, so I am kind of biased.

Yep and what are the labor hours $ wise? I know probably between $70 to $100 an hour depending on what part of the country you are in. German cars are like $200 an hour wherever. Doing this on my own with the standard rednecks assortment of tools took 10 days and I had the engine running on a stand and the wiring all figured out and completed before starting. I used redeye's mounts and icehouse can am box. Tagdot was the last one on this forum to post his ka trials and just needed the to finish the wiring. That was his last post months ago. Swaps are difficult. I have had my 720 31 years and it has been worth the effort and in a sick way fun! Driving her daily and loving it. One year older than you Stoffy at 48 but I still feel 17 when driving the truck like the day I bought it!

• Like 1