Jump to content
Stephen22

Seat Belts

Recommended Posts

My 510 was a semi race car so had a roll cage and 4 point harnesses that were fastened to the cage.

I am now reversing that process and trying to fit after market seat belts.

 

I need to bolt the top part to the upright between the doors but there seems to be no bolt holes. 

Where was the original seat belts connected to?

 

YOImB74.jpg

Share this post


Link to post

It's up higher under the headliner. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/12/2019 at 11:50 AM, Stephen22 said:

My 510 was a semi race car so had a roll cage and 4 point harnesses that were fastened to the cage.

I am now reversing that process and trying to fit after market seat belts.

 

I need to bolt the top part to the upright between the doors but there seems to be no bolt holes. 

Where was the original seat belts connected to?

 

YOImB74.jpg

I'll take a pic Sunday when I get home.

Share this post


Link to post

Yes, the original "captive nut" is up a little higher into the headliner......too high for my liking.

 

What year is your 510?  I think the NON adjustable/rigid shoulder harnesses came out 70-71, but iirc the 68-69 DID have that "captive nut" in place for other Euro market requirements.  I think the retractable belts came out 72-73......??

 

How tall are you?  Reason I ask is that the factory "captive nut" is really high up & causes the shoulder harness to ride up your neck, especially if you are taller & have the seat moved back.  I'm shorter & it even bothered me!  We welded another captive nut LOWER on the B-pillar & installed aftermarket retractable belts.  Lowering the mounting point brought the shoulder belt down, which made it much more comfortable!  It's my buddy's car, but I see it most weekends.  If you want some pics, send me your EMAIL or TEXT.............pain to post pics on Ratsun! 

 

I also have a parts car right now with the headliner removed, can send a pic or two of the factory captive nut location via EMAIL or TEXT.

 

TJ

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Sorry I forget to take a pic but will do on this Sunday.

Share this post


Link to post

Just did new belts on my wagon. I’ll post pics later if how I did it. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/18/2019 at 2:22 PM, yenpit said:

Yes, the original "captive nut" is up a little higher into the headliner......too high for my liking.

 

What year is your 510?  I think the NON adjustable/rigid shoulder harnesses came out 70-71, but iirc the 68-69 DID have that "captive nut" in place for other Euro market requirements.  I think the retractable belts came out 72-73......??

 

How tall are you?  Reason I ask is that the factory "captive nut" is really high up & causes the shoulder harness to ride up your neck, especially if you are taller & have the seat moved back.  I'm shorter & it even bothered me!  We welded another captive nut LOWER on the B-pillar & installed aftermarket retractable belts.  Lowering the mounting point brought the shoulder belt down, which made it much more comfortable!  It's my buddy's car, but I see it most weekends.  If you want some pics, send me your EMAIL or TEXT.............pain to post pics on Ratsun! 

 

I also have a parts car right now with the headliner removed, can send a pic or two of the factory captive nut location via EMAIL or TEXT.

 

TJ

 

 

 

 

The "Datsport", 3 point retractable seat belt set up, solves the belt hitting you across the neck.  They have pics of the installation, uses the standard bolt locations, plus a few extra holes has to be drilled.  Below is one of the pics with the top bolt location, this pic is on a 4 door. I don't recall, if the location is different for the 2 door, and my 2 door is at the A/C shop.  So, im not able to reference the location on the 2 door is the same or not.  Just thought I'd throw out another solution for you.  

belt full length

Share this post


Link to post

Here is a shot of my 2door that is all apart.

 

57-FD0-AA7-BF40-45-CB-A410-D3-E2-D203346

 

 

here is my goon.

 

DEA0-EA42-8-D5-B-46-ED-90-FD-BF2-CB29-C4

 

 

Hope that helps and sorry for the delay.

 

 

Edited by edekalil

Share this post


Link to post

I went with the B-Pillar in my 4 door and it works great for me. I am 6 feet tall. Plus I really don’t like how the belt would hang in front of the rear door when mounted to the stock spot. Picked up some new fabric and will be replacing the pillar cover.

F0B83DF3-EC3A-4302-8C44-50E2339942EE_zps

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, EWD said:

I went with the B-Pillar in my 4 door and it works great for me. I am 6 feet tall. Plus I really don’t like how the belt would hang in front of the rear door when mounted to the stock spot. Picked up some new fabric and will be replacing the pillar cover.

F0B83DF3-EC3A-4302-8C44-50E2339942EE_zps

 

Did you use one of those plates you drill a hole and slide the nut and reinforcement plate behind?

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, BrandonS said:

 

Did you use one of those plates you drill a hole and slide the nut and reinforcement plate behind?

Sort of. The seat belt kit came with some large washers. I ended up cutting small portions off of each side so that it would fit through the hole near the top of the pillar. I used the nut that came with the kit and a lock washer to secure it. The hard part is getting it to lineup and stay in the right spot while feeding the bolt through. I ended up using Gorilla Tape to cover the back end of the wrench with the nut, lock washer, modified washer/plate and wrapping the ends of the tape on the sides of the plate so that it wouldn’t fall off while maneuvering it down the inside of the pillar. Once it was secure I just pulled the wrench free of the tape and took it out. Going to do the passenger side this week.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Nice work on the relocation. Looks pretty good. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

We welded a nut at about that same location on the B pillar............much more comfortable location! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.