Cold starting issues..72 wagon

Ok the last 2 days in the morning my wagon has not wanted to start & had to drive the wifes car to work. Heres my routine which has worked fine till a few days ago. Turn the key to "acc" [dash lights are on], pump gas pedal to the floor twice slowly to engage choke, then start..fires right up & idles high for a few minutes until i pump the pedal once more, idle settles down & im off. What it has done the last 2 mornings is instead of firing right up it'll idle rough then die, feathering the gas pedal doesnt seem to help either. Then i get a strong smell of gas like the carb is flooded. I did get it to fire once by propping the butterfly open with a small wire brush but yesterday it was a no go. Could it just be a dirty carb or can the choke be adjusted to correct it? Motor is a bone stock L 16 auto tranny if that matters. & BTW it's been 55 degrees in the AM which isnt really cold compared toother areas but it seems to make a difference. Thanks guys...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is this a stock carb? Yes ,The ck the glass window in front and see where the float level is. Hopefully its on the line. If overfull it could be the needle valve stuck open(float has hole ans sank in the bowl). Maybe bang on it where the fuel line goes in to the carb.

How about not pumping the gas before starting. If its a electric choke the flap should be close and draw in a richer mixture anyways. Buy new spark plugs!!!

IF you keep the Key switch in the ON position(car doesn not have to run) the electric choke flap will open over time as it heats up the coil(the round plastic thing with the 3 screws). So I guess make sure this works correctly.

If not you can loosen the 3 screws and rotate the round thing to get more or less choke.

I convert mine to manual or just wire them open and pump the gas on start up.

Yeah stock carb. Just tried to start again & no luck. Fuel line is at the line & float is floating.

Ill try the no pumping the pedal idea in a few hours after i replace the plugs.

Ill also try just turning the key to see if the butterfly closes.

I did check the dist, shaft for excessive play & it looks fine.

The choke butterfly can't close until you release it by stepping on the gas. There is also a linkage that sets a stepped fast idle cam to hold the throttle at a fast idle. Choke makes it richer so it needs more air. If the fast idle cam is not setting then it will choke itself super over rich and stall.

The upper ivory plastic thing is the stepped cam with the fast idle screw set on it. once warmed up the butterfly slowly opens and the fast idle cam is disengaged and the idle returns to normal.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/carbZ24fastidleadjustLg.jpg[/img]"]carbZ24fastidleadjustLg.jpg

Spray the linkage with carb cleaner and work all the linkages through their full travel while holding the throttle partially open. WD-40 works but is mineral oil based and will attract dust... I use it anyway.

Edited by datzenmike

i've had problems liek that when its been super cold.. it only wanted to fire if i kept it floored with some pumping to it.. even then it would studder to life.

i have a feeling it mightof been plug frost because ether didnt make a difference either

i think i'll have it corrected for this winter though

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok the starting issue has come back. Ive been pumping the pedal once[agter sitting overnight] then she has been firing right up. Recently when it would'nt start i installed a new cap & rotor, cleaned the points & installed an EI coil [thinking the coil went bad] & still no start. She turns over fine but i get a strong smell of gas almost like the carb has flooded. Keep in mind this time i DIDNT pump the gas pedal. I did get it to start by wedging open the butterfly the other day but she idle'd really rough. Im almost sure it's a carb issue & im tempted to install my 32/36 BUT i dont wanna lose my good MPG & the speedo liknage is different. Im also on the verge of doing a Matchbox EI swap too, my thinking is it MAY be a spark issue. Any more insight guys???

remember the EI coil is .7 from from the stock 1.6 ohm coil so youll burn up points faster!!!

anyone running points should get rid of them ASAP so we can eliminate ignition right off the bat. But more than likey its a Carb issue.

Is there a possiblilty its having too much Choke on intial start up???????

waitt awhile and open up the choke flap and let it air out. Then try to start later w/choke flap open(use a screw drver to wedge it open). and just use the accell pump as your enrichment circut(means I pump a few squirts in there right before start up).

today oil is 38$ a barrel, No ecuse not to have a Weber DGV now.

Obama is in Office and some black lady on the news said, he was going to pay for the gas

Your GM ignition write up or a match box ignitionmigh be enough to light off so it wont be as noticeable. Your like right on the edge

If the Hitachi is set right there is a choke unloader mechanism to open the choke when cranking if you have flooded it. Just push the pedal to the floor and hold there while cranking, don't pump or you'll make it worse. Full throttle pushes the choke linkage opes slightly to let in more air to dry it out.

Hainz & D-mike good points.

Ill keep the EI coil in & do the dist. swap soon. I went out & wedged the butterfly open & she fired right up. I noticed the butterfly closed all the way after a few attempted starts. So...i adjusted the choke just a tad [thickness of a nickel] & then she fired right up. Exhaust even smells a bit less obnoxious. Gonna let it sit overnight & try again in the AM & report back. D-mike i have & was doing the "pedal to the floor" trick which worked. Hopefully i wont have to do that anymore. & hell if Obama is gonna pay for my gas ill start running 92..HaHa.

Besides the float check the fuel filter and coil, timing, wires, not sure when you change these. Yes, do check the choke, may have to richen it a bit. When you said that you had to wedge the butterflies, sounds like the choke needs to be adjusted a bit. Carb needs to get some air or else how can fuel and air mix. Not sure about stock carb which direction..refer to your hanes or chiltons if you have one.

You still have to pump the pedal a couple of times even if it's electric choke.

Okay found this on Auitozone, in case you don't have manual.

You need to read everything:

http://www.autozone.com/addVehicleId,1365701/initialAction,repairGuide/shopping/repairGuide.htm?pageId=0900c1528004f507

Aso sometimes when your valves are not properly adjusted, you will have a hard time starting the car.

racerX

I already have a 32/36 but do like my 30 mpg :D TY for lookin out. Ok pics...............

sat all night & it's in this position.........

12-24butterfly1.jpg

turned key to acc. , pumped the gas pedal once & it's here...

12-24butterfly2.jpg

turned key & she fired right up & immediately went into high idle which is something she's NEVER done. Im ok w/ that..she idle's high for a few minutes until the temp. goes up a bit,tap the pedal & i get a nice low/smooth idle. Hopefully problem fixed.