Converting auto to manual locking hubs

Madkaw

I’ve searched and searched and there’s just not much info on this. I have a 83 with auto hubs and I want to convert to manual type . Warner makes the correct spline (26) hubs , but not sure what is involved or is it even possible? I read in one post that it was a bolt on deal , that was a 84 model . 

Anyone confirm or have a link to the procedure? I know nothing about 4WD front hub assemblies . 

• Like 3
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 4wd and the rotors and hubs are different, I doubt the bearings are the same. If you disassemble the hub get the number off the bearing and shop with that info. Better prices and better control of the supplier. I get Japanese bearings and matching races from amazon. Once you have the number there are many bearing supplier's if nothing Japan sourced I go for timpken. Avoid Chinese bearings at all costs. Ordering  wheel bearings by truck model is a gamble.

• Like 1

I’ve been looking until I’m blue in the face. If I search 83 4WD , the search results rarely if ever differentiate between the two- like there isn’t a difference between 2WD and 4WD . The numbers on the old bearing are NSK , and not having much searching that way either. Ugh

• Like 1

I know ordering on line is a PITA. You have to be careful that you get the right ones. I ordered from Rock auto and got the race only - though the ad said race and cup. I’ve also seen the same part numbers used for two different bearings. Very few ads list actual dimensions which is what I am trying to use. 

• Like 1

The number on the bearing is not usually brand specific. I just normally use the number and many brands show up. Remember nissan didn't make bearings just used what was offered. Most towns of any size have a " bearing house" and drag what you have in there and with a quick measurement if no numbers are present they can order the proper bearing, but it will cost more.Same with seals i am far from my truck and parts so sorry I can't be more helpful. Good luck 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, bottomwatcher said:

The number on the bearing is not usually brand specific. I just normally use the number and many brands show up. Remember nissan didn't make bearings just used what was offered. Most towns of any size have a " bearing house" and drag what you have in there and with a quick measurement if no numbers are present they can order the proper bearing, but it will cost more.Same with seals i am far from my truck and parts so sorry I can't be more helpful. Good luck 

Well the closest city for that is an hour away. I was struck by the inconsistency of bearing numbers between vendors . Also, Rock Auto will call it a 4WD bearing when the measurements say 2WD. I did find SKF inner wheel bearings on Rock Auto site that had the correct dimensions, but most of the time the ad has no dimensions. 

Most searches show the same dimensions for all the 720’s , we know that’s not right

• Like 1

Yep I get it, I live in the sticks too. But if you have the old bearings in hand and take them with you to the bearing house they just whip out the calipers and will have replacements on the way. Take your seal with you too even if the numbers say nla when looking up online the bearing house can get them too. Sometimes it is just easier for folks who deal with this everyday to solve the problem even if it takes some windshield time and a couple extra bucks.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I should have updated this . They did not fit . I ended up rebuilding the auto hubs which I haven’t even tested yet. I just now am changing the U joints on the front driveshaft. My 5/83 front axles were only good for auto hubs . I would have to swap axles to go manual type. My axles don’t have a groove for the outer clip that holds the manual hubs. 

85 might be different . There’s a lot to consider , spline count , proper axle , etc

• Like 1
On 9/20/2018 at 4:48 PM, Madkaw said:

Well the closest city for that is an hour away. I was struck by the inconsistency of bearing numbers between vendors . Also, Rock Auto will call it a 4WD bearing when the measurements say 2WD. I did find SKF inner wheel bearings on Rock Auto site that had the correct dimensions, but most of the time the ad has no dimensions. 

Most searches show the same dimensions for all the 720’s , we know that’s not right

https://www.applied.com/categories/bearings/c/1859

While not necessarily local, they ship and have awesome customer service when it comes to finding the right sized bearing. 

14 hours ago, Madkaw said:

I should have updated this . They did not fit . I ended up rebuilding the auto hubs which I haven’t even tested yet. I just now am changing the U joints on the front driveshaft. My 5/83 front axles were only good for auto hubs . I would have to swap axles to go manual type. My axles don’t have a groove for the outer clip that holds the manual hubs. 

85 might be different . There’s a lot to consider , spline count , proper axle , etc

Thank you for that update. i didnt realize that date was november of 2018

15 hours ago, Madkaw said:

Are there threads in the tip of the stub axle? If so, you may be able to use a small bolt and large washer in place of the c-clip. This works when converting IFS Toyota hubs for use on a solid axle. Maybe worth a look.

His had the splines continue to the end of the shaft without the groove for the snapring. I have made my own groove caveman quality and used a round wire snapring. There is a reverse taper in the splined part that engages the hub and it pressed the wire snapring into the groove. I really wouldn't call it a proper fix but the 82 and earlier halfshafts are NLA so you gotta do what you gotta due. On a side note while over serving myself some beer in my shop I grabbed a clutch alignment tool off the wall. Those splines match the clutch, the front outer halfshft and the trans output shaft. Just a little useless info.