1983.5 4x4 - retirement truck

Madkaw

Well the shifter went all wonky and popped out of its joint - lol. Not sure how it happened but the shifter kicked off its plastic bushing . Ordered a new one from Nissan for 9$ !!

Then I noticed how I could pull the shifter out of its box right past the snap ring ? So I realized I must be missing something . Now this is the 71C hardbody trans - so it’s different . I figured it was a retaining washer behind the snap ring that I’m missing . Hard to tell from pics I’ve found . Good thing I have a friend that’s a machinist , because this was a special sized washer you can’t buy locally . Sorry I didn’t take a pic of it , but for most it wouldn’t look familiar anyways . 
I took this opportunity to make a better cover panel on the trans tunnel . I tore my round boot when I took it apart and I have no idea what the application of that boot was . So a made a panel that would work for a 280zx boot . The 71C has a small boot over the shifter.  The original tunnel panel with boot won’t work for this trans . 
The ZX boot also has a handy plate that’s snugs the boot down ! 
Well now the shifter has a LOT less up and down play . The shifts are very precise. 

6458AD76-B505-4082-AB75-DC0F24870003.jpeg

05AFB424-5778-4810-AF02-4175138B1903.jpeg

AFDFAEA9-F565-470D-9815-07EC76D64630.jpeg

38107B2C-4AF4-443B-9ED3-F4C290800BD6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I’ve been really hard on the truck here lately . Helped someone move out of a shop . Loaded trailers full of scrap steel that really put a hurt on my truck during take off . The 3.90 gears along with 31” tires made things a bit miserable taking off on a hill. Makes me consider going back to stock size tires . 
Add to that another exhaust leak at the collector . I double nutted those MFers and I still lost a some - WTF . What is it with this truck and exhaust leaks . 
I guess I’ll try a lock nuts next . 
The funny part of all this is that the shop owner that worked on high end sport cars had been using my truck . He says he gets more conversations about this truck then he ever did driving some of the exotics he worked on - lol

• Like 1
9 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Compared to stock gear (3.889) and tires going to 31" diameter tires is the same as having a 3.26 differential.

Oops - I think I meant to say 30” . I believe the tires are 1” oversized 

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

30" would still be 3.370 and not very good for hauling up hill

Yes - it’s bad . I guessed something like 3.70 so I was way off . I think 3.90 isn’t as bad as some people say if you rarely haul . 

14 hours ago, Madkaw said:

The funny part of all this is that the shop owner that worked on high end sport cars had been using my truck . He says he gets more conversations about this truck then he ever did driving some of the exotics he worked on - lol

While driving my 320 pickup through Napa once, there was a guy in a Ferrari that passed going the other way, and he couldn't take his eyes off my truck. I couldn't take my eyes off his girl in the passenger seat.

On 3/17/2023 at 12:55 PM, bottomwatcher said:

I have 31s,KAE and 4.37s and it cannot be confused as a rocket ship. Part of the issue is swapping in the 2wd version of the C series trans. It has a taller 1st than 4wd trans so that compounds the issue. A lot of math going the wrong way on this.

Exactly

(I knew that would happen)

Yes there is a 3.889 mentioned but it would seem that was maybe for the first few months of '83 model year? What's your build date? last few months of '82 maybe?

5/83

An "injection tank" would be the way to go. The pump is submerged making it quiet. You can run an aftermarket high pressure pump under the hood but they are loud. I hate mine and want a bigger submerged pump tank. Not sure what Madkaw is running but if is an external pump I think he will agree. Downright uncivilized!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, frankendat said:

Madkaw I continue to covet your build. I was re reading the injection bit and missed if you changed the fuel tank. Are you using the original tank? I got it in my head that injection requires an "injection" tank. 

Nothing special . Original tank and an external fuel pump located in the same place as the old one . Pump is very quiet . Not sure what brand . It came with the Megasquirt ECU that I purchased . They were using it on a Chevy car before I think 

41 minutes ago, bottomwatcher said:

An "injection tank" would be the way to go. The pump is submerged making it quiet. You can run an aftermarket high pressure pump under the hood but they are loud. I hate mine and want a bigger submerged pump tank. Not sure what Madkaw is running but if is an external pump I think he will agree. Downright uncivilized!

Nope - just hums along 

20 minutes ago, Madkaw said:

Nope - just hums along 

Nice. I have got the walbro under the hood and is about as soothing a sound as fighting cats. I could mount it by the tank but I was concerned about a long run of high pressure fuel. You running it through the original steel line or did you replace it with something new?

57 minutes ago, bottomwatcher said:

My question arises, as there is an Aeromotive 11542 in tank pump for sale local, opportunity for a deal. The D21's with KA's are listed as compatible with this pump. The D21 tanks appear to have a large removable plate allowing for installation of an in tank pump, I see no access for this on the 720 tanks. All my knowledge of these tanks comes from pictures. I have neither removed mine nor ever removed one from a D21.

I am not opposed to aftermarket fuel cells, or installing a D21 tank in my 84 ext.cab, if it has been done before and there is a write up or thread. I am not up for blazing trail. Ratsun search was lacking, when I searched.

43 minutes ago, bottomwatcher said:

Nice. I have got the walbro under the hood and is about as soothing a sound as fighting cats. I could mount it by the tank but I was concerned about a long run of high pressure fuel. You running it through the original steel line or did you replace it with something new?

First mount at the tank..

1/ quieter obviously

2/ pumps are efficient pushing but limited by atmospheric air pressure and can cannot lift more than about 30 feet so the lower the mount the better.

• Like 1

First mount at the tank..

1/ quieter obviously

2/ pumps are efficient pushing but limited by atmospheric air pressure and can cannot lift more than about 30 feet so the lower the mount the better.

Is an Aeromotive 340 IN tank (for a D21) with an Aeromotive FPR and no other major pump modifications to the custom KA fuel injection system--moving in the right direction? I am concerned that a D21 fuel tank will be necessary (or custom fuel cell) and want to ensure the aforementioned are easily (affordably) available.