1983.5 4x4 - retirement truck

Madkaw

About ready for paint ! Need to re-spray in the bed liner first . Going back with UPOL tinted liner - it looks fantastic . After I spray it I can reassemble the bed and drive to a couple of painters to get an estimate . Going back stock Brown metallic . Need to put some striping on it to add some color . I have paint that matches my wheels and I will probably do a stripe down by the bottom of the door all the way back . 
This is the LAST time it gets painted by me . I will be nicer to it this time and keep it away from stones and salty roads 

IMG_7907.jpeg

IMG_7942.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, jxb003 said:

@Madkaw what’s the status of the parking brake cables. Been following but maybe I missed what you found. 

If I remember correctly the drivers side for the 83 4WD is NLA . I actually had one made. They might all be NLA anymore . I actually have a complete extra set from Wagner that someone was selling so I grabbed them - including the center one . 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the bed liner sprayed . I’ve got a half gallon left of this UPOL liner if anyone wants to buy it . I also have the brown tint to go with it - if you have a brown truck !

Email me if interested 

sfinnerty1018@gmail.com

IMG_8048.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Well waiting on the paint shop now . I decided to tackle a project I’ve been wanting to do . It always bugged me that the corner lights don’t work with the turn signals - so I made the change . I also have converted to LED bulbs . I figured I’d lighten the electrical load while I was at it . 

IMG_8131.jpeg

IMG_8128.jpeg

IMG_8130.jpeg

• Like 1

Nice work. I was just thinking the exact same thing about the side lights after troubleshooting a brake light issue (bulb casing grounds were trash causing brake lights to shutoff with parking lights on) and wanted to do the same.

Well I finally got ALL the LEDS installed and everything works great except the 4 way flasher . I’m ASSuming that since there is 2 separate flasher units I should have replaced both with electronic type ? 
I used this 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B097SMP66B?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I didn’t even need to adjust it much . 

21 minutes ago, Madkaw said:

Well I finally got ALL the LEDS installed and everything works great except the 4 way flasher . I’m ASSuming that since there is 2 separate flasher units I should have replaced both with electronic type ? 
I used this 

One is for blinkers and one is for hazards. See if they work with hazard switch?

3 hours ago, Madkaw said:

I used this 

If you have a sec, what part numbers/supplier did you use for LED's? Anyone install side view mirrors with the LED's signals in them?

On 3/6/2024 at 8:19 PM, Madkaw said:

Well waiting on the paint shop now . I decided to tackle a project I’ve been wanting to do . It always bugged me that the corner lights don’t work with the turn signals - so I made the change . I also have converted to LED bulbs . I figured I’d lighten the electrical load while I was at it . 

IMG_8131.jpeg

I did something similar on my 521...

The side markers are just a running light.... 

I used a trailer light box...

Parking lights on the brake input and turn signal on the turn signal input....

Using the brake input vs parking light allows for operation regardless if lights are on or off... 

36 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

I did something similar on my 521...

The side markers are just a running light.... 

I used a trailer light box...

Parking lights on the brake input and turn signal on the turn signal input....

Using the brake input vs parking light allows for operation regardless if lights are on or off... 

Turn signals  work regardless of parking lights on or not . That’s the only way I would have done it . Great idea you had for sure 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, frankendat said:

My OEM isn't that deep at all. Wow, goes to show the benefits of new

I think there was more than one brown . This is a metallic . Today I’m hoping to get the truck re- sprayed . Good paint also makes a huge difference . I’ll be spending 1500$ just for paint - ugh . I know the guy that owns the body shop and he is will to spray it for me for cheap . And people wonder how a paint job can cost 10k

5 hours ago, Madkaw said:

I think there was more than one brown . This is a metallic . Today I’m hoping to get the truck re- sprayed . Good paint also makes a huge difference . I’ll be spending 1500$ just for paint - ugh . I know the guy that owns the body shop and he is will to spray it for me for cheap . And people wonder how a paint job can cost 10k

$1500 for paint, SWEET BABY BENDOVER, that make me hurt and you paid it! I'm along way from paint, but like to day dream. 

I found the 1984 Dark Brown Metallic MFG code 015, Dupont code G8457. What paint code did you or are you spraying your truck?

The brown truck I saw the other day was a 2015 Ram in Western Brown Pearl code PEP KEP, it was the sharpest brown truck I had seen in a long time. My 84 is the same brown as yours and I have neither motivation nor resources to change colors. According to the owner the color "goes from metallic Root Beer brown in the sunlight, to eggplant when the sun goes down. The metallic hides itself when the sun goes down."

ram1500.jpg

The Ram paint is around $300 a gallon pre-reduced and requires a urethane clear coat. I do not understand the importance of the terminology, but some paints advertise the need to reduce and others advertise different compounds, including the details seems prudent. Additionally, I lack knowledge of total gallons needed to paint a Nissan 720.  

9 hours ago, frankendat said:

The Ram paint is around $300 a gallon pre-reduced and requires a urethane clear coat. I do not understand the importance of the terminology, but some paints advertise the need to reduce and others advertise different compounds, including the details seems prudent. Additionally, I lack knowledge of total gallons needed to paint a Nissan 720.  

There is also different grades of paint . The same color can be twice that cost for the top of the line - and you will see the difference . Good quality clear is 750$ a gallon . Also makes a huge difference what clear you use . I’m actually going to do the first few coats in a midline paint and use the high end for the last coat . The high line stuff really makes the metallic pop . 
We won’t even talk about the red that’s on my Z :-0