1983.5 4x4 - retirement truck

Madkaw

Looked up a D21 tank and a 720 tank and as suspected they look different and have different part numbers. Fitting an intank pump into the 4wd Ext cab 720 tank appears major surgery. Am I missing something or is inline the way for those injecting 720's that did not arrive with factory injection?

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The April '85 and on Z24i uses an external in line pump. What could be simpler than swapping it into place of the 720 electric pump mounted on the frame???? Any inline electric pump would do, easy to get at if needing to replace. One thing that should be done is upgrade the fuel line to the EFI with hoses rated to handle the increased fuel pressure. Certainly carburetor hoses would probably pop off. as only intended to handle 3-4 PSI or 1/10 the pressure.

1 minute ago, datzenmike said:

The April '85 and on Z24i uses an external in line pump. What could be simpler than swapping it into place of the 720 electric pump mounted on the frame???? Any inline electric pump would do, easy to get at if needing to replace. One thing that should be done is upgrade the fuel line to the EFI with hoses rated to handle the increased fuel pressure. Certainly carburetor hoses would probably pop off. as only intended to handle 3-4 PSI or 1/10 the pressure.

You provide good counsel. My gas tank is rusty and a fellow is selling a never used Aeromotive in tank pump for 1/2 price. Started down the rabbit hole of poly tanks and fuel cells that might fit  (without setting in the bed, I need to haul stuff) and got swamped by google. (I swear it is getting harder and harder to get answers to specific questions on the net). This isn't an emergency thanks for weighing in. If a D21 poly tank would fit in a 720 Ext cab, then I thought it could work out.

12 hours ago, frankendat said:

You provide good counsel. My gas tank is rusty and a fellow is selling a never used Aeromotive in tank pump for 1/2 price. Started down the rabbit hole of poly tanks and fuel cells that might fit  (without setting in the bed, I need to haul stuff) and got swamped by google. (I swear it is getting harder and harder to get answers to specific questions on the net). This isn't an emergency thanks for weighing in. If a D21 poly tank would fit in a 720 Ext cab, then I thought it could work out.

Information overload. Also known as 'the tyranny of choice'. You go to store for some breakfast cereal probably to get your favorite but maybe open to something new. The isle is full on both sides and over 100 foot long every possible brand screaming for your attention. WhereTF is my Count Chocula????? Do I really need 350 types of cereal???? wouldn't I be just as happy with a dozen???

Cheapest easiest option is another inline pump but if the tank is pooched I see no problem with a D21 tank. It just needs to be attached to the 720 frame. It might even be close to begin with and certainly closer to fitting than a bloody fuel cell..  

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Madkaw said:

Why not a new steel tank ? 
Tank Inc sells a really nice set up for a drop in Walbro sump kit . Affordable and works well . I run one in my converted EFI Z

I have replaced tanks in a few vehicles and even when not replacing, because of rust, all of them had much rest. Started eye balling poly tanks and (at the time) they were less than steel I'll check out that Walbro kit, but I'm chea--cost conscious.

13 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Information overload. Also known as 'the tyranny of choice'. You go to store for some breakfast cereal probably to get your favorite but maybe open to something new. The isle is full on both sides and over 100 foot long every possible brand screaming for your attention. WhereTF is my Count Chocula????? Do I really need 350 types of cereal???? wouldn't I be just as happy with a dozen???

Cheapest easiest option is another inline pump but if the tank is pooched I see no problem with a D21 tank. It just needs to be attached to the 720 frame. It might even be close to begin with and certainly closer to fitting than a bloody fuel cell..  

That is good news and opens up many options. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Well I’ve been wanting to put some LED headlights in . The stock lights just aren’t cutting it even with a new harness on separate relays . Ordered a set from Headlightexperts.com . More expensive than most but looked closest to stock(180$ for a pair) . They didn’t fit 😞 . If you see the pic you can see that they aren’t tall enough to fill the bezel and would just flop  around in there if installed . Emailed them and they say those are the correct ones for my truck . This is after I sent one back for spots on the lens .

I would have thought the dimensions on these rectangular lens would be fairly standardized ? I don’t think for 180$ headlights I’m going to “rig” these to fit . Hell- I could buy and 50$ and do that . Wish I could just find some Cibie lens . I put those on my Z and they are outstanding !!

D45435C6-F438-4146-88B3-B0A5D34BFE7F.jpeg

Well I’m sending back the LED headlights . Found some CIBIE lights on eBay and bought those . These are about rare so I need to find a brush bar to protect them !!

The lens also have “city lights” - so we will see how that goes .

Also received my Kameari cam sprocket.  Installed it without much of a fight . Going to play around with valve timing and see what results I can get .

And - my new tires should be here this week .     Back to factory size which should help speed up my truck !! 

Well the Cibie headlights fit like factory . I actually talked to the seller and he had bought out a lot of inventory of Cibie stuff . 
I went ahead and wired in the city lights which is just an extra bulb in the headlight . Haven’t even had time to see the lights at night yet - so I’ll judge when that happens .

Meanwhile I’m digging a hole in my bed side. Damn salt caused zits to pop up . I worked it once but didn’t get rid of all the rusty metal - shame on me . Now I welded in new metal to replace all I cut out . My friend that owns a body shop said he would reshoot the bed when I’m done . I’m really not that good at bodywork - it’s been a while . I’m starting to remember things as I go about getting a panel straight . Not sure how I managed to get my Z so straight . 

Bought some white letter paint for my Goodyears - or should I have done the yellow? Raised white tires are getting harder to get and I wasn’t going to pay the extra money for them . Also hard to get the 16” tire in stock 29” tire . I miss the color though . The truck needs more color and the white lettering helped . The letters on these tires would be filled in completely - so it would be even more striking ! I might experiment on the backside of the tire to see if I am capable of coloring in the letters . Might do a stripe down on the bottom body line with the wheel color paint . 

75FDC003-8B7C-4EA4-9C5F-FB284F5B859F.jpeg

2096F056-762A-4C79-B903-3284D54B3D0E.jpeg

The '83 bed has the horizontal seam and no inner bed liner to prevent cargo from denting outward. Stock tire diameter is 27.7" for the 4x4 and 25.5" for the 2wd.

Twenty-nine is considered the upper limit for minimal 'rub' on the 4x4 on stock suspension and height.

• 2 weeks later...

Well lots going on with the truck - deja vu- lol

I got some high build primer on the bodywork trying to make things flat . 
Need to cut the cat off . Should have cut it off a long time ago . I made the mistake of having it installed before I converted to EFI . I imagine it’s pretty clogged . I had ordered the “ proper replacement ‘, but it’s 2.25 both ends . Pretty sure stock size wasn’t that big . I’ll make it work . 
Transmission leaks out the tailshaft if parked on a hill - wtf - did I put a seal in there - lol

Went down the rabbit hole of bigger front brakes . I have a left side that gets squealing when rolling down the road - for no apparent reason . Pressing on brakes stops the squeal. I read up on 2000 Pathfinder and decided to check it out . Went to the local pick and pull and got some used stuff for mock up . The Pathfinder rotors are massive - at least an inch bigger in diameter . And of course 2 puck calipers . The point of no return is that the spindle holes need to be enlarged to 14mm for the massive bracket bolts . The only other thing I want to see is if the dust shield will mount up . I didn’t get those at the pick and pull so I will have to go back . Don’t see much of a down side on this conversion . 
Then there too much time on my hands project -ha . Miss my raised white letter tires so I tried making my own . I like the look but will it last ? 

46F42169-8FB7-4EDF-94C9-DE9EF44F5A39.jpeg

87DD10CF-17FE-441A-BD84-C0BF7E0B285F.jpeg

• Like 1

Nice looks good, I typically don't like white letter tires but I think they are fitting on these 70s-80s trucks because they were very popular then. That's why I put them on my 720. Now I just need to find a roll bar which is proving fairly difficult.

I am curious though why so many people go to larger front brakes on these trucks. I have always thought my 4x4 720 stopped just fine.

Edited by powderfinger
  • 2 weeks later...

Well most of the bodywork is done - but I saw more bubbling while I was crawling around putting this exhaust on . Never should have driven this truck - should have just parked it and looked at it - lol

Replaced the cat since I figured the time I drove it the with a carb didn’t do the last one any good . 
After I installed the exhaust I was anxious to drive the truck since I hadn’t driven it in weeks . Started it up and smelled gas - rut roh . Puddle of gas on the floor . Looks like one of my fuel hoses( labeled not for EFI- oops) was leaking at the fitting . After putting the correct hoses on - verified with reading glasses - she fired up and ran good . Noticed my fuel pressure was 50 psi ? Don’t know how -but backed it off to 43psi .

So back to chasing rust 

16A93840-3675-4072-AF04-5E756A2D75BD.jpeg

• Like 1

Exhaust seems to work out fine . The cat is doing its job . Couldn’t help myself with the exhaust tip - lol. I’ve had that Ansa tip laying around forever . Had no use for it - until now 🙂

Also finally got around to getting the other 4 plugs working . Had a weird miss last time I ran 8 plugs - so I’ve only been running the intake side . It turned out to be an injector was the issue . It runs good with all 8 now . I had advanced the timing for when I was running just 4 , but left the timing where it’s at after I got all 8 going . So far - not much knocking or any at all , but this gas tank I did run 89 instead of the 87 . 
I still have the cam timing 6 degrees advanced , but think I’m going to go back to 3 degrees advance . It has good power now but the cam probably isn’t efficient this advanced. I’ll have to check the cylinder psi - I think I’m at 175 . I bet 3 degrees will bet me 160 psi . I might gain better power over 3k rpm with less advance . The Kameari sprocket makes this task very easy

F731B9FF-87FF-4532-ADED-3FA397C34F1F.jpeg

3107D33D-E9ED-41CF-94E1-C4373D9A45C1.jpeg

• Like 1

So today was to try and make the truck ride better . Of course the 4WD came with 2 over load springs . I’ve only being running one but now I’m going with none . I pulled the the leaf and to save my ride height I cut the leaf into the size of a spacer . What’s weird is this truck has always sat higher on the passenger side . I can’t figure it out . It’s almost an inch difference . I took the shocks off and that made no difference so it must be in the leafs?  This aren’t the originals so maybe shitty aftermarket leafs that are arched differently ?

While I’m under there I’m running a power wire for my trailer light amplifier . 

Shocks have no springs inside so have no effect on ride height.

Add a 1 inch spacer between spring and axle to the low side or remove the spacer you made from the over load spring on the high side.

7 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Shocks have no springs inside so have no effect on ride height.

Add a 1 inch spacer between spring and axle to the low side or remove the spacer you made from the over load spring on the high side.

I thought of doing that but I wanted to make sure I’m not overlooking something . Well now I’ll have to take it apart again or live with it -lol

Well kept it as it was with just leaf spacer . 
The fronts were off too as far as height . I dropped the drivers side down and in turn that dropped the rear some . I need to drive it and see how it shakes out and rides !

19E2D3BA-7C48-4F3B-A620-3BA9D20A7090.jpeg

5957CD66-34FE-40A4-8690-487CF46CC18C.jpeg

• Like 1

Ever since I saw this type of brush guard on one of these trucks I knew I wanted to make one . Had some scrap laying around and just decided to do it . Never saw one of these up close but it was easy to figure out where to attach it . I used blind nuts to secure it . I am probably going to put one more bend at top front . I guess I’ll paint it too - lol. 

C067841E-7821-468B-B0C1-20908D631955.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

To be much good the skid pan should be robust. It's to prevent/reduce damage to the oil pan and lower parts of the engine from ground strikes on rocks. Most Datsun cars have splash pans but they are removed to do work and seldom put back on.

I only have the '84 specs...

I see 4x4 but don't know where Bloomington is. So California or Federal? Putting the state you are in in your profile speaks volumes as to what emissions equipment carburetor/electrical/distributor was installed.

I'll go with federal or non California...

Vacuum advance degrees @ inches of mercury

00 @ 3.15

40 @ 4.6-5.9

100 @ 9.4

Centrifugal advance degrees @ RPM

00 @ 650

70 @ 1,345

9.50 @ 2,100