1983.5 4x4 - retirement truck

Madkaw

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did the sketchy shot today . Ground out the injector notches in the head . Took longer to prepare than actual grinding/ cutting .

Need to change out the inlet fitting on the water pump in order to connect all the coolant lines . Then I should be ready to bolt up intake . 
The biggest stumbling block is the throttle cable . I ordered one for a 89 hardbody thinking it would be a tad longer for the throttle body . Not sure how I’m going to hook up the pedal side , but I can rig that some way. 

C842B748-AC2A-484C-B440-5833F69567FF.jpeg

395F7CA7-A1AE-485E-B677-550E5861BE10.jpeg

• Like 1

So did you just remove the reservoir from the 720 pump and plumb lines, or did you switch to a different pump?  I know the 240sx pump (and other nissan pumps with remote reservoirs) are the same as a bunch of subaru pumps, so there might be some parts out there to help you clean up what you have if you don't switch to electric anytime soon.

Are you looking at electric steering column (prius etc), or electric pump for hydraulic system (volvo, MB)?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Lockleaf said:

So did you just remove the reservoir from the 720 pump and plumb lines, or did you switch to a different pump?  I know the 240sx pump (and other nissan pumps with remote reservoirs) are the same as a bunch of subaru pumps, so there might be some parts out there to help you clean up what you have if you don't switch to electric anytime soon.

Are you looking at electric steering column (prius etc), or electric pump for hydraulic system (volvo, MB)?

I just took the reservoir off the 720 pump . It’s clean enough for now . I will use a Prius steering . 

• Like 2

About wired up . I still have to install fuel pump . I still don’t have a throttle cable. I talented shop owners says he can lengthen the cable . The cable for the hardbody I ordered was super short , but it will sacrificed to make a longer cable . There’s probably one that right size out there but won’t have the correct ends 

8D5CCC63-6706-4D5D-B10A-660DF6021E84.jpeg

• Like 3

About wired up . I still have to install fuel pump . I still don’t have a throttle cable. I talented shop owners says he can lengthen the cable . The cable for the hardbody I ordered was super short , but it will sacrificed to make a longer cable . There’s probably one that right size out there but won’t have the correct ends .

It’s hard to get an appreciation of the plumbing spaghetti that happens under this intake . Between radiator hoses , ps steering hoses , coolant return lines and throw in a AC hose makes it pretty busy under there and makes this job tougher . It was brought to my attention that there is a coolant manifold to handle all the returns with this induction set up , but I ended up using just a T. Hopefully that won’t come back to haunt me . 
Other notes are that the mounting hardware is all different . This manifold is thicker than the carb manifold . 
You probably noticed how close the TB is to the radiator hose . I had to fight for every millimeter to get a 90 to fit on the TB and clear the hose . To run a tube across to a filter will be close too. It will barely clear the PS pulley. This whole project would be so much easier without PS . I had to move the pump to reach one of the manifold bolts . 
Im hoping to have it started tomorrow after I swap out a bad fuel pump . Still might not have a throttle cable so I can drive it 

5F8ABA9B-FC12-4FA9-8DEF-79C755BFE754.jpeg

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Why not a throttle cable for an '80-'83 S110 200sx? Probably one from a KA 240sx would also fit for length.

It’s also about the ends . I might have done better with the 200sx , but it’s all a guess . And if I search 200sx cables , the web comes up with 720 cables 

Edited by Madkaw
  • Like 1

Well I took my new cable that was too short and gave it to a talented friend that welded/brazed/soldered the end of one to the other and got me the length I needed . 
Had a hard time getting the engine to run . I swapped my injectors from my z(26lbs) with the ones that were in the truck (44lbs) and bingo it ran. I have to dial it in and find the big vacuum leak . 

13FA29EE-D385-4FB6-B9B2-84076EA9710A.jpeg

F5C7B4DF-08B1-4456-8238-8C20E77556DE.jpeg

• Like 1

IT RUNS! 

She tested my troubleshooting skills . Had a wire with a nick in it laying on a bare shielding wire that was shorting my coolant sensor wire -jesh. 
Quite sure I will have to work some kinks out . I already have a coolant leak to deal with and it’s in a bad spot around the thermostat housing . 
Also will need to get a tune saved that runs good . Drove it around the block a few times , but even with no real time it ran decent . 

EA06CF8A-759B-4E45-8812-F3B76CD57A3B.jpeg

BB7322BB-0DFD-40D4-ADCA-1BF9A2E7542E.jpeg

DD64CBF1-2844-44E9-81A1-30A7ECFD1C4A.jpeg

• Like 2
13 hours ago, bottomwatcher said:

I hate plugs that require a fist sized hole to accommodate them. I don't have a solution just bitching. Carry on.

The solution is to depin and repin the plugs or to install a bulkhead.  Both are suck amounts of work but both solve the problem.

Madkaw, you have a grommet for that?

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Lockleaf said:

The solution is to depin and repin the plugs or to install a bulkhead.  Both are suck amounts of work but both solve the problem.

Madkaw, you have a grommet for that?

Eventually I will get a grommet . Doubt the plastic hole will do much damage . I’ve taped everything up . I needed to be able to pull it out to work on it so a grommet would have made that harder 

• Like 1
On 8/11/2021 at 4:49 PM, Madkaw said:

Other problems are getting the AC going . I had two compressors and still couldn’t come up with a good one . I had one rebuilt and it quit after 3 mjnutes. The shop refunded my money but I’d rather ha e a working compressor . The shop said my other compressor was needing shaft seals and he couldn’t find any . I know nothing about AC . 
Thinking about going with a d21 compressor and d21 lines , but swap ends to match my trucks evaporator .
Any thoughts ?

We have used a new late model Sanden compressor on two 240Z builds.  Sanden & places like Vintage Air will offer a SMALL but way more efficient compressor (technology!), but you will very likely need to fab up at least some small spacers to mount & align the pulley with your tensioner & crank pulley.  I doubt you will find anything modern that will bolt in.  ALWAYS replace the receiver drier, unless it has been recently replaced.  We also had a local AC shop custom make new hoses, to our specs.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

So the project was going well except an intermittent miss I was having on #1 cylinder . So many variables when changing this much on the motor . After having the ECU checked, coil changed, wires changed , spark plugs changed , many consultations on the MS support groups I changed out #1 injector ( purchased new -Bosch - less than 4 years old) , It fixed the issue !

Engine really runs strong . Haven’t checked MPG yet . Cold starts are really easy now . Still working on the fine tune , but with the bad injector out of the way I can finally tune for big HP - lol. 
I was told the 3.9 would be a terrible gears , but actually does well around town and highway is just right . 
I can now focus on turbo charging and electric steering . I think electric steering will be harder to pull off than turbo charging . Not much room for the PS unit( motor) . 

BDD3170C-A969-47D0-A744-B33CCC51DAF9.jpeg

• Like 2

The motor assembly can be inserted anywhere in the column or shaft.  Might be worth getting turbo and manifold bolted in and then seeing if you can fit the motor in the engine bay on the steering shaft rather than inside the cab?