Draker

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, witchespellmichelle said:

These are drain holes!? like...do i have to keep it un-covered? seems weird, no? 😊

Yes, no, and no. 

The factory fits rubber plugs there. But if it ever flooded, you'd need to pop those out for it to drain/dry out. 

Mostly, they are just a convenient place for rust to form.  😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, witchespellmichelle said:

These are drain holes!? like...do i have to keep it un-covered? seems weird, no? 😊

Naw, they should have rubber plugs in them. Mine were missing or fell out so I replaced with some I found on eBay. 

• Like 1
Just now, datsunfreak said:

Mostly, they are just a convenient place for rust to form.  😁

I think I’m gonna put some sealer on mine. Because you’re right, rust always forms here. 

1 hour ago, datsunfreak said:

A pint of POR-15 would go along way too.  👍

Already got 2 coats top and bottom. But still worried about the edges chipping and trapping water under the grommet. Probably good enough but in my opinion best to not let it get under the plug at all. Plus the amount of rain we get up here in Oregon, you almost have to treat these like a boat hull. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Not too much more to report at the moment. I went to buy some flat black/charcoal vinyl paint, it was still too glossy. So back to the store again next week to buy some more, I guess. I'm trying to put together a plan for the rear seat as well. Not sure exactly how to tackle that one quite yet.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/16/2021 at 4:07 PM, Draker said:

Not too much more to report at the moment. I went to buy some flat black/charcoal vinyl paint, it was still too glossy. So back to the store again next week to buy some more, I guess. I'm trying to put together a plan for the rear seat as well. Not sure exactly how to tackle that one quite yet.

I bought a few other types of paint to sample. Sad to say the color chips don’t match too well at least on this headliner material when it comes to gloss. I tried a few different colors too. After a few cans at $23 a piece I just settled on satin black. It’s still a bit glossy though, so be warned in you use it. This partially had to die with the headliner pattern itself. I sprayed it on a different pattern and it was more satin.

Edited by Draker
On 4/5/2021 at 9:09 AM, datsunfreak said:

Well, if you do it now, while half the interior is out...   😁

And he made me to it.. so here it is.

masked up

95F87303-CF2F-455F-B17F-656D8DA21558.jpg

Still drying removed the masking. You can see how the vinyl prep spray really softens the vinyl here. It got saggy after applying prep and paint.

FD845AD0-106A-45D1-B8D2-37C8C3A1CEB2.jpg

here it is the next day

59CAA95A-879D-4DB8-824A-3AEB86DF0A57.jpg

close up, you can depending on viewing angle it has some shine. The pattern basically makes the little triangles shine. All good. It’ll get dull over time.

E57A3C56-7561-4BCD-A89F-5D87ACC754D9.jpg

• Like 4

And I keep telling myself I am just refreshing the interior. It’s not a restoration. But I am now in the process of refinishing the heads of fasteners. 😐

I think that’s when you know you’ve crossed the line.

• Haha 1

There are small white plastic bits to cover the window hinges. I pulled one to see about refinish long in black. It immediately cracked... sooo those might be a finish in place or leave them alone. They’re kinda out of place now though. 

I also bought materials for the back seat. I’ll be getting started on that next.

• Like 1
On 5/8/2021 at 5:23 PM, Draker said:

There are small white plastic bits to cover the window hinges. I pulled one to see about refinish long in black. It immediately cracked... sooo those might be a finish in place or leave them alone. They’re kinda out of place now though. 

I also bought materials for the back seat. I’ll be getting started on that next.

10 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

Never seen those before...  😄

They are always missing on every 1200 I've seen. 

Those seem like they might be a good 3D printable item then.

PN 76828-H1200 COVER-SIDE WINDOW HINGE

9988.jpg

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Dguy210 said:

Those seem like they might be a good 3D printable item then.

PN 76828-H1200 COVER-SIDE WINDOW HINGE

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I have some material that could work for it too. Just need the time.

On 5/9/2021 at 10:33 PM, Draker said:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I have some material that could work for it too. Just need the time.

Finished modeling these tonight. I’ll try printing one tomorrow.

next is modeling some wheel center caps. They should be a lot easier than the hinge covers.

The car had this mirror in it when I bought it. It fits great but the mounting was a bit messed up. The screws were a bit proud since there was no countersink. I drilled them and the screws are now nice and flush. The plastic cover was hacked to bits by the previous owner so I bought a new one and refinished it in black.

mirror is from a 1998 Acura integra I think. Part number is pictured.

B1C1657E-5FEF-489C-9ED7-69D8CAECBD54.jpg

2D914449-6EB6-418A-94D4-A8AF1FF6F7D3.jpg

73FC626E-F807-4DF1-B65A-9B17BE290484.jpg

853CCF0B-9375-450F-A1A6-D91625125352.jpg
31390349-A843-454E-82D5-E481DAFC1454.jpg

47554DA5-0814-4EC5-A856-F78C3F2DDBB4.jpg

Edited by Draker
  • Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Made some progress on the rear seat upholstery. Here are the pieces cut out, ready to sew.

0B483BD5-E5D0-4D7C-8C18-E919DA7324F4.jpg

Here is the old vs new comparo. I changed the pattern to be horizontal to match the GTI front seats. 
853DA27D-8501-4AC7-A803-758F75A82139.jpg

All sewed up. I got to this point and thought I was done. I had originally planned on doing a half french seam along the front outside edge. Once I got to this point I chickened out. It was midnight and it was going to be incredibly difficult to add the stitch due to some tight corners. 

F5778016-D458-40DA-8188-0AC1701CF6BC.jpg

The next day I had a look at the skin sitting on the seat frame. It looked good but without the half french seam there was a lack of shape to the seat. It looked like a pillow.. very puffy round corners. So I pulled it off and tossed it on the sewing table and tested if I could possibly get the stitch right. After a bit of practice, I felt good enough to give it a go. If I messed up, I'd have to cut a lot of the material off and re-make it. Lots of work... But I went for it. It actually turned out good. It was a bit stressful, but I took is slow and it was fine.

I straightened the frame out since it was bent at the corners from what appears to be someone trying to pull the seat down. Then put the skin on. I dug through my tools and found I only had 9 hog rings to attach the skin... so I used them. More are on the way. Here is the seat skin attached only on the top and bottom. Once I get the other hog rings I'll stretch the wrinkles out of there by pulling it sideways.

4A03372F-A3C3-4952-B4EE-6462FB78F7AF.jpg

Here is a picture of the lower seat, which is currently under the knife. I'm thinking same treatment. Try to match the GTI seat pattern.

82127F70-60EE-46AC-8EFC-0FF52E306D9C.jpg

Edited by Draker
  • Like 8