Draker's 1972 1200 Sedan - "The Pickle"

Draker

4 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Have not been 'de smogged' yet either. See the screw with spring just above the left dome? it interconnects the carbs and has a braided hose out to the air filter. We didn't get the dual Hitachi's so not much is known about it's function. It was discussed on The Realm and best guess is that it's an adjustable air bleed to tune the idle mixture. They suggested removal and triangular aluminum covers put on, typical 'smog shit' mentality, but I would think you could just close them or use them. I have a set from an L16/18 SSS.

The little red capped tube is the vacuum advance.

Does this have water cooled intake runners???? I don't think the A series used this on their intakes. Easy enough to drill the two holes in the head to match up. The outlet from the intake has to connect to the lower rad hose inlet to the water pump.

L16/18 SSS  SUs didn't like heat and the intakes were water cooled and even were heat shielded so likely these are too.

I've got the same set on my 71 510, and I see what you're saying about the block off plates. They've been deleted on my other car. I gotta get some point in the domes and see if I can get the pistons moving freely. One is a bit sticky, and one is seized completely. Otherwise the throttle shafts seem tight.

Regarding to cooling, from my very limited research it appears that the oval port GX heads did have coolant passages. But other A series heads did not. I'll have to look into the modification of a non GX head to suite these carbs. I haven't gotten there yet.

This was more of a "buy it when it's available" purchase.

• Like 1
  • Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Draker said:

it appears that the oval port GX heads did have coolant passages. But other A series heads did not. I'll have to look into the modification of a non GX head to suite these carbs. I haven't gotten there yet.

As long as it's an oval-port head, you'll be fine. I've run them on heads with and without water passages and never saw a difference. 

But...

1. I wasn't "racing".

2. It's a lot colder in Eugene that Texas. 

YMMV  😁

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

As long as it's an oval-port head, you'll be fine. I've run them on heads with and without water passages and never saw a difference. 

But...

1. I wasn't "racing".

2. It's a lot colder in Eugene that Texas. 

YMMV  😁

I don’t think the head is an oval port. I’ll pull the valve cover and ID it.

6 hours ago, Draker said:

I don’t think the head is an oval port. I’ll pull the valve cover and ID it.

You can usually tell a lot by looking at the intake. 👍

Most often, the round port intake has one upper bolt, between the runners, while the oval port has two upper bolts on either side of the runners. The thickness/height of the runner will also tell you a lot. There are a few round port intakes that look like oval port at first glance, usually from a 210. And based on how smogged up your intake looks, maybe...

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 1

a while back I bought a NOS glove box. The only problem, it’s been smashed for decades. Anyone make a sheet metal replacement? I got it installed anyways.
96CFDC67-FFAC-4F9A-A3B3-2EC1153055E5.jpg
81C7EF16-D1D8-49A5-8597-9714E6628F44.jpg

I needed a mounting bracket for a amp volume control. Modeled something simple and mounted under the dash.
3DA5895C-A0AF-47DA-948D-1DEB3A5EF2F8.jpg
C032175F-F424-481C-86D0-8BD3FE5E7685.jpg

• Like 1
22 hours ago, datzenmike said:

KELMO, where does the water exit the oval intake and how does it connect to the lower rad hose to the water pump?

If you look at the pic of the manifold Draker posted on the previous page, you can see at the bottom side of the manifold there are water "jackets" under the ports. On the head, there should be 2 corresponding holes for coolant circulation.

IIRC, the head I used did not have the corresponding holes but was an oval port head.

Edited by KELMO
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Yes. I wanted to know how the coolant exited the intake and returned to the lower radiator inlet to get back into the water pump so it circulates.. 

I don't think it does? I thought it was just a horseshoe to prevent "carb icing" in colder weather...

Edited by datsunfreak
10 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Yes. I wanted to know how the coolant exited the intake and returned to the lower radiator inlet to get back into the water pump so it circulates.. 

Looks like there's maybe a coolant pipe at the front, same as on SU intake...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTIUgKJB31g9JnDTrM7cJY

11 hours ago, KELMO said:

Those look vehicle specific (and they also look very good).

coco mats. You send them a pattern, they send you the custom made mats. They followed my pattern pretty well, good fit!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Draker said:

coco mats. You send them a pattern, they send you the custom made mats. They followed my pattern pretty well, good fit!

Those look really good. About how much though for the cheap bastards out there (I mean me of course)

2 hours ago, Dguy210 said:

Those look really good. About how much though for the cheap bastards out there (I mean me of course)

they aren’t cheap, about $240 shipped in this case with discount code.. Lots of different colors, patterns, options. Truly custom mats. 

• Thanks 2
11 hours ago, Dguy210 said:

https://www.cocomats.com/coco/

8 hours ago, Draker said:

they aren’t cheap, about $240 shipped in this case with discount code.. Lots of different colors, patterns, options. Truly custom mats. 

Did they not have the 1200 pattern, or you wanted it cut differently?  I guess it's a bit confusing to me they have you select the vehicle, but then do you have to provide a pattern as well?  Maybe not in all cases.  Fronts only?

16 hours ago, iceman510 said:

https://www.cocomats.com/coco/

Did they not have the 1200 pattern, or you wanted it cut differently?  I guess it's a bit confusing to me they have you select the vehicle, but then do you have to provide a pattern as well?  Maybe not in all cases.  Fronts only?

no 1200 patterns. Also I think there is a difference between manual and auto cars due to the tunnel sizes. Basically you can order the samples, they send you everything you need for making a pattern. You pay online, mail the pattern. They make the mats and send them back to you. Pretty easy really! 

11 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

Have you seen this thread?  😁

I actually have seen it. Pretty cool. I do have the Nardi horn button though. I’ve just been doing some work on the horn.

9 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

There is a noticeable difference. Auto car tunnel is at least 2" wider. 

Thanks for the confirmation.

When I ordered the previous set of floor mats from stock interiors (which are nice by the way), they were a little wide. I figured the template they used was from a manual car, where as mine is (was) an auto.

• Like 1