Draker

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This kind of build threads get me thinking On why I didn’t just start driving my 510 instead of taking all part and having it sit  in jack stands for over 5 years. Could had been doing work as I rode it along!!  Little by little yours is getting back.  Nice work. 

3 hours ago, Jsoi510 said:

This kind of build threads get me thinking On why I didn’t just start driving my 510 instead of taking all part and having it sit  in jack stands for over 5 years. Could had been doing work as I rode it along!!  Little by little yours is getting back.  Nice work. 

Thanks!

Honestly I thought this would be done quicker.. don’t we all? But the car will be much nicer afterwards. I keep telling myself it’s NOT a restoration and so I haven’t been focused on making everything pretty.

I’ll pretty up the inside a bit but the outside will come later. The moist PNW weather has. It been too kind to the paint over the last 2 years. But it’s holding up. 

ive still got a ways to go. Perhaps it’ll be done by next spring. 

• 2 weeks later...

Next step is to finish grinding the welds back a bit, wire brush the pans to clean them up, seam seal, and por15 to finish it out. I’ve used zero rust before but it took a bit too long to dry. 

the bottom side is going to need undercoating as well.

6 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

That's a very good idea to do while you're in there. Always thought they were way too far forward. They end up fouling the seat if you use a retractor belt or racing harness...

Yeah I went back and forth on this trying to find a way to live with the current location. I tried to find seats that would work with the current location... I tried finding slimmer retractors. No luck, so I just chopped them out. I think this will work well.. they are just in a terrible place from the factory.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, datsunfreak said:

I'm sure they are in a perfect spot for a person just over 5 feet tall.  😄

That's me, that's me.

I am using Z31 belts on the grey coupe.

I am using B210 belts on the green car mounted to the upper "B" pillar area.

I don't particularly care for the B210 belts. They foul my neck a bit.

Ordered some carpet samples from stock interiors. Not sure what the difference is between 80-20 loop and nylon loop. But I’ll find out within a week, I hope. Planning to go with black carpet, but thinking of some accented floor mats. 

Started to lay down the fatmat sound deadener. In most areas it has two sheets

813D0E4C-7B07-43D9-B178-E41F12846239.jpg

I needed some 40mm body plugs for the floor pans. I found these on ebay, 10x 40mm body plugs for a Tesla.
82362D33-8FC6-4FE0-945C-A6E71369BAED.jpg

While I was painting the floors with por-15, I took the opportunity to pain the transmission crossmember.
C6E44610-5AEC-48D8-AEA8-3DE9B59192E1.jpg

Edited by Draker
  • Like 2

I've started to fit the seats again to get some ideas for the new seat mounts. I think the front of the seat sits too high. It's still comfortable, but they are clearly angled up in the front. Probably by design. I may shim the rear mounts up just a touch, but thats more to help with other clearance issues. I'm not totally stoked about the fit, but I really don't want to chop out the factory mounts, so I'll likely live with the fit for now. If they become too much I'll look for another seat option and put these into another project. Sitting in the seats, they are comfortable. The positioning seems to be good. I just think the front could drop about 1"

F7F73A16-DB03-4E3B-B2CC-925FA1F27977.jpg
926DA206-F064-462F-80CF-E9D27E483A12.jpg