Draker's 1972 1200 Sedan - "The Pickle"

Draker

Got the rear seat sewn up and test fitted. I’m happy with the fit. I wasn’t sure how it would look since some the measurements were iffy at best. I still need to find some wire rod to attach the pleats and stretch and attach the skin to the frame. Here is a bit of a preview 

91B6BA5A-0F98-4609-B432-AC8F20F69B73.jpg
59AA5620-2E39-4A02-BAEF-5C4B318864D4.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, Duncan said:

Too bad we don't live closer. I could help you with paint and body, and you could help get some sewing machine chops..

The upholstery looks good!

Wow! yeah that would be a good trade 🙂

Got the seat skin stretched and fitted then installed the seatbelts. They are a bit sun faded but I’ll run them. I may need to dye them at some point.

also got the front kick panels and carpet installed. I need to figure out a way to anchor the carpet with the stock anchor points. I may just cut a hole and sew around it.

38DDEE16-C4CA-4A10-9AB8-83C160C9C980.jpg
79C203B6-3669-4377-872B-7334E5866BEC.jpg

• Like 4

Been busy trying to get this thing on the road for powerline next weekend. 

Since I manual swapped the car I haven’t had the center console installed. I got the console in and thought I was missing a bracket. Turns out after looking at my other auto 1200 the console mounts to the auto shifter. Since I sold that, I just modeled one and printed it.

b110-center-console-bracket.png

2C15BC96-0659-465D-BD5C-CD3BCDC087C7.jpg
88E71A7F-734E-4628-992B-A8F42FCE9716.jpg

I dig these badges out I collected over the years. These were in really sad shape so I figured I should restore them. Why I did t take a before picture.. I dunno. Well here they are now.
A1141FEF-0783-4224-A97E-9B43EF96B236.jpg

I got the stock interiors carpet kit installed. They fit pretty good. I’d say 9/10. Some small issues but to be expected for these old cars. They had no provisions for the factory anchors so I added these. 12mm chrome grommets from hobby lobby. 
64AAF47E-1E7A-4999-A019-52216978213A.jpg

here is where I left if for the night. Seats and all carpet is in. I’m in the middle of modifying the steering wheel hub. Maybe tomorrow it’ll hit the road for some testing. 🤞 
17B6CAF2-6C20-44E7-8E2D-4D29AED079B1.jpg

Edited by Draker
  • Like 5

I still need to make the new trunk carpet, give it a bath, change the oil, polish it up a bit.

I still plan on swapping out all the wiring harnesses and dash. I have an IR alternator to wire up. I’ve got matchbox dizzy to install. I’ve got a tach that needs installed. I need to install some rear 6x9 speakers, amp and sub. Not sure when that work will happen. 

• Like 2

Years go I bought this boss steering wheel hub adapter. It fit, but had two issues. The return pegs were spread too wide for a 1200 causing the horn to honk twice on each full revolution of the wheel. Also it had a 16mm gap between the hub and steering wheel clamshell.  

I pulled the hub and drilled new holes for the return pegs. 40mm on center. 3mm wide. Relocated the pegs and that was fixed. Then I modeled a spacer that press fits onto the hub. 14mm wide, printed and pressed. Looks much better. 

E80AF230-5968-41C7-B641-A9FB071DAFC8.jpg

I tried my best to bring this paint back around. It’s still a 10 footer. Hit it with cutting compound, polish, and heavy wax. 

57599314-2031-40FE-9854-964731ECC323.jpg
4A295DE1-F11C-4159-B3BD-82173A2FA7F1.jpg

got some plastic on the seat trapping some leather moisturizer. Trying to bring these seats back around. They had a hard life while sitting in the wrecking yard.
98A61C49-3147-4CC7-86EA-2C55926B85D7.jpg

06844F0A-12E7-49D8-84F8-CCFBA1409FE4.jpg

Edited by Draker
  • Like 5
5 hours ago, Draker said:

Years go I bought this boss steering wheel hub adapter. It fit, but had two issues. The return pegs were spread too wide for a 1200 causing the horn to honk twice on each full revolution of the wheel. Also it had a 16mm gap between the hub and steering wheel clamshell.  

You're very lucky you even found one that fits the column shaft. 99% of them don't since the 1200 uses a smaller shaft than any other Datsun...

5 hours ago, Draker said:

I tried my best to bring this paint back around. It’s still a 10 footer. Hit it with cutting compound, polish, and heavy wax. 

I think it looks phenomenal!  👍

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Draker said:

Looks really good.  I saw that car occasionally when it was in my area and it's looking much better these days.

Years ago, I had an original paint 1200 Coupe.  I tried buffing it with some finishing compound, and it starting going through the paint.  I stopped in time before it did irreparable damage, but the results were less than stellar :)

• Like 1

This thing had a respray at one point with some questionable bodywork. Lack of proper prep with a base and clear. Probably very fitting for the time when it was done. Not sure when that was but likely when it had the the rear bumper pushed in. But now it’s showing it’s age. It still shined up but you can see the years of bad decisions. Including a prior buffing incident.  

Since I only play with thrashed garbage no one else even wants, maybe my perspective is skewed, but I think it looks pretty great.  Not even my 2006 daily driver is that shiny.  That is a sweet 1200.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This car is looking great.  I am getting to the interior of my 510, so nice to see how you did things with the vinyl trim.  What adhesive are you using for the vinyl?  Can looks like it says some type of contact adhesive.  Specifically automotive or general?

Thanks.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, iceman510 said:

This car is looking great.  I am getting to the interior of my 510, so nice to see how you did things with the vinyl trim.  What adhesive are you using for the vinyl?  Can looks like it says some type of contact adhesive.  Specifically automotive or general?

Thanks.

i used both s18 contact adhesive for direct to metal and for to foam foam I used sprayway high temp fast tack 92.

• 5 months later...

The wiring is a big mess. It all worked, but there are so many burnt connectors and wires.

the plan is to replace the dash pad, radio, do a few repairs to the heater, install tach.

under the hood, I need to rip out the harness, install and relocate new alternator. Refurbish new harness and install. 

9 hours ago, Draker said:

Also I need to replace the rear shocks. After lowering, the back end bottoms out the kyb’s. I’m looking at koni red 80-1551. Which are about 3” shorter. 

any other shocks I should be looking at?

82-92 Camaro shocks should be 2" shorter than stock as I recall. 

I usually figure out the dimensions I need, then go through a shock sizing chart to find what I want. Something like this:

https://www.kyb.com/resources/technical-information/dimensions/

And getting something spec'd for a heavier car usually makes them firmer and provide better handling. On the rear of my 1200 I used front shocks from a Chevy truck, and they worked a treat. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I’ve been slowly working on replacing the dash and engine bay harnesses. I’ve got the alternator relocated and wiring moved in the harness. It’s an IR alternator, so I need to eliminate the voltage regulator. Im running pertronics at the moment but may swap to an OEM electronic dizzy. We’ll see.. I have the parts but that’ll likely be after the wiring swap is complete.

next up is a smoke test… does it smoke when I hook up the battery? We’ll find out soon enough.

• Like 1