My 1971 521

d.p

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pulled the plugs and 1 3 and 4 look much better but 2 is completely black.  What would cause that? Bad wire? The burn mark on the tip on 4 looks shorter than 1 and 3 and I can’t see shit on 2. 

39CF161A-5EFB-409B-850B-F6044496DA46.jpeg

• Like 1

Close the #2 idle screw and count how far it takes to close it. Do the same with another screw on a cylinder that looks good and compare them. It's possible that you have #2 too far open. 

Trying to think of other causes but can't come up with anything.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mainer311 said:

Close the #2 idle screw and count how far it takes to close it. Do the same with another screw on a cylinder that looks good and compare them. It's possible that you have #2 too far open. 

Trying to think of other causes but can't come up with anything.

I will check that screw and see.  I tested the spark plug wires I made and +2 didn't have the great of continuity as I had to move the terminals around to get a solid connection.  So maybe just a poorly crimped wire.   I switched to another set of wires and will see if that helps.  

• Like 1

Ok got anew alternator but it’s not charging.  Charge light doesn’t go off and volts never go above 12 even when driving. 

what are the chances it’s bad too? 

Edited by d.p
2 hours ago, d.p said:

Ok got anew alternator but it’s not charging.  Charge light doesn’t go off and volts never go above 12 even when driving. 

what are the chances it’s bad too? 

I dont believe it you for got to put the T connector back on or something.

I have never had a bad a bad alternator even from Vatozone.  YOUR DOING SOMETHING WRONG...  i told you the other one you had was ok

also the NGK wire sets  never had one bad.  crap i never changed a dist cap in over 10 years untill just last year

3 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

I dont believe it you for got to put the T connector back on or something.

I have never had a bad a bad alternator even from Vatozone.  YOUR DOING SOMETHING WRONG...  i told you the other one you had was ok

also the NGK wire sets  never had one bad.  crap i never changed a dist cap in over 10 years untill just last year

Wrong.   Dude its painfully simple so how could I mess it up?  I even put the original squeaking one back and it charges no problem and reads 14 volts under load.  Trust me I uninstalled and reinstalled the new one 3 times to no avail.  Never read above 12 volts and the charge light never went off.  

New one on the left old one on the right, both AC Delco reman'd from RockAuto.  

IMG_5468.JPG

Edited by d.p
  • Like 1
27 minutes ago, thisismatt said:

Why aren't you using at least a hardbody alt...something 10+ years newer at least

only because I read that the 200sx was a direct swap.  What hardbody alt will fit? 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, d.p said:

only because I read that the 200sx was a direct swap.  What hardbody alt will fit? 

Not a good fit on a Datsun truck and why they are 36amp and small diameter.

These are only 50/60 amp....

'86-'88 Z24i

'86-'93 (at least) VG30E   

These all have a V belt. You can use the KA engine alternator but you'll have to remove the serpentine belt pulley.

The S13/14 KA alternators are serpentine but 70-90 amp? (may be the same as the 240sx and why they have the serpentine belt so they don't slip) I know the '89 240sx one I put on my '74 710 (60amp) made a hell of a difference. It made so much power that it made the belt squeal if I left the lights on and it was charging it up.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, d.p said:

What is 36 amps?  

200sx alt fits and is a 60AMP. Unfortunately for me I got 2 lemons and one new one that was way too big to fit. 0 for 3 so far.  

The stock 521 is around 34 amps and is small diameter to fit near rad hose and idler arm between block and frame. Car alternators of 50/60 amp are difficult to fit in that space.