Crashtd420

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, wayno said:

OK, the front case from a Zcar will likely work fine, it likely has the small front bearing but you would need to measure it to know for sure.

I guess I'll take take it apart first to compare and go from there.... I have all winter to get the swap done... I tend to buy parts while I'm working extra hours so when I'm not working so much I have parts available and things to work on....

• Like 1

Older than '85 use the smaller 56mm counter bearing. From '85 on it's 62mm. You won't know for sure until you remove the front cover plate. All L series will be 56m so just swap a new 56mm bearing (and the 56mm cover plate!!!) in place of the 62mm and go from there.

Oil pump...the 12 valve 240sx engine or the 12 or 16 valve D21 Hardbody engines. If the Xterra and Frontier continued with the external oil pumps on the 4cylinder engines... probably them too. This is one of the best and cheapest upgrades to L and Z series longevity and peace of mind. Great if you have a worn engine or spray bar and the oil pressure is naturally low.

• Like 1

Oil cushions and 'bleeds' out from between crank, rod and cam bearings at a set rate. The RPM doesn't really matter much. At low speed it bleeds faster than the pump can supply it so the pressure is lower. A worn engine or one with a spray bar or turbo will have slightly lower than normal pressure. My tired old L20B was 17 PSI hot idle pressure. Installing an equally used 240sx pump it jumped to 29 PSI at idle. Across the board the pressure is higher and reaches maximum sooner than the stock pump. It's just some cheap peace of mind.  

• Like 2

So after looking around a little I decided a cheap $25 oil pump is probably not the smart buy.... so I'm leaning towards this oem nissan one..... 

Screenshot-20181102-175934-e-Bay.jpg

I know everyone says go factory.... but I also found these which are a little cheaper but I'm thinking Hitachi should be good quality.... am I right or wrong?

Screenshot-20181102-175740-e-Bay.jpg

Screenshot-20181102-174112-e-Bay.jpg 

Is it worth trying to save a few... 

Or possibly this....

Screenshot-20181102-174141-e-Bay.jpg

Just typing this I think I talked myself into the factory one.... any opinions?

• Like 1

Only the 280zx turbo automatics (which I believe only came with an oil cooler) had the high volume pump. I've never measured one but I have measured the S13 and the D21 pumps and they have the 13% longer rotor inside. If buying one be sure to check that you are getting what you paid for. The longer rotor is quite visible when you look down inside.

Regular L16/18/L20B L24/L26/L28 and L28 non turbo. It was rumored that the LD28 in the Maxima had one but it doesn't. You can only see the top of the trochoid rotor in the regular pump.

V2fckkS.jpg

This it the S13 or maybe the D21 high volume pump. Here, if you compare, you can easily see the rotor top and side showing

7jkQ4Im.jpg

sBzw2v1.jpg

Everything different is inside. You can't tell from the outside if mounted on an engine. If you can't see the rotor as shown in the second picture it's just a regular oil pump. Know what you are getting.

• Like 1

Thanks Mike.   I'm gonna go with getting one for the 240sx/d21.... 

Stock part # 15010-40f0a, which is the Hitachi oup0023....

I gonna try the Hitachi pump,  I was able to find a pic and i can see the rotor like the pic you posted.... I can find it on rock auto for $50.... 

Also found on Amazon for $55, since the wife needs a couple items I'll just get it there with the included shipping...

• Like 1

So in the process of getting things ready for my winter project I realized my shifter is missing the bushings and little end cap....

Screenshot-20181116-111313-e-Bay.jpg

Basically these.....

I have the short 71b 5spd and I believe a 620 shifter..... 

The listing I'm looking at say 260z/280z and the 620, plus a couple other vehicles.... 

Are these all the same if the part of the transmission where the shifter goes looks like this?

Screenshot-20181116-111106-e-Bay.jpg

Just wanna be sure before I order....

• Like 1

Not sure about the material,  I tried to figure it out but they dont say what they are made of..... but they claim its factory nissan parts and I saw it from a few different sellers....

I thought I had the old shifter parts I used before, I know the pin is on the transmission but i dont know what I did with the bushings to the shifter..... I may have cannibalized the old shifter to make the one I'm using now.... basically cut the bottom off just above the pivot, so it should be somewhere.... 

Maybe I'll just buy the bottom cup and use some brass door pin bushings like I did with my 4spd.... 

15 minutes ago, mrbigtanker said:

Order it you will be fine.

I probably will.... at least I know it would fit.... I'm gonna check through my old parts boxes first.... 

I'm excited to have the 5spd in for next year ..... it snowed today so the 521 will be hibernating for the winter...... 

I already miss driving it.....

• Like 1