A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

35 minutes ago, d.p said:

So I can buy one of these and get a bell housing from a 71b transmission with an L bolt pattern?

Basically yes, plus a few more items ...

The only question I have is why it's called a 71f? Newer version maybe? 

I did measure my tailhousing and its 11 inch vs the 12 or 16.5 inches they say ... but the center plate is 1 inch so maybe they are including that in the measurement... 

You'll definitely need the correct bearing for the L case and you will probably have to drill the shifter rod hole as Mike described ... there maybe are other mods neccessary due to a newer design.. but still it should be possible..

I would call them and ask some questions if you were serious....

• Like 1
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I got a few things knocked off my to do list...

Got the seal removed from the tailhousing,  I was able to verify the reverse switch will work,  and installed the 56mm bearing...

20181219-110654.jpg

Gonna try to clean the cases Friday,  its supposed to be almost 60 degrees out.

Decided to change out the oil pump next to the high volume pump..

20181219-103118.jpg

Used a method I think datsunmike posted ...

Removed the base with the distributor attached.... held onto the oil pump spindle with some vise grips...

Dont have to mess with the timing this way.... 

20181219-103110.jpg

I was lucky and had a could spare gaskets.....

20181219-103147.jpg

That was about it for today....

Gonna setup to reseal the oil pan and probably start pulling the driveshaft and trans mount next... 

And hopefully get my friend over to seal and assemble the transmission.....

• Like 1

Well I cleaned up the front case and cover and the tailhousing.... 

20181220-143458.jpg

I still need to tighten that nut everyone was talking about.... it was staked but it is definitely not tight.... I can wiggle it.... also the nut that is below it is just as loose.... i ran out of time trying to unstake those so I can tighten them up, once that's done I can reassemble.....

I was able to install a new tail housing seal....

20181220-144802.jpg

And in the cover plate....

20181220-144806.jpg

Also You can see the connection groove I added, connecting the shifter rod and bearing area.... the cover I took off the other bellhousing had that groove, nissan made that change for some reason so I figured I'd replicate it...

• Like 1

I realize that Nissan put that grove in the large bearing type transmissions, but the only reason I can see for that groove is to maybe lube the back side of the shift rods as that area has no exit except for the groove you made, the other groove is there for a couple reasons, one is to lube that lower bearing, the other reason is to have a place for the oil to go getting thru that upper bearing other than out the front cover into the clutch area.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

You do understand that the seal between the front case-mid plate and the rear case-mod plate are held tight by the same bolts? Removing the bolts will probably compromise both sealing materials, so it makes sense to take them both off at the same time.

That and honestly its foolish not to go the one step further and take both off.....

Once you do it once you really won't believe how easy it is to do..... 

Plus there are 2 nuts in that tailhousing that should be checked for tightness....

• Like 2

On 12/20/2018 at 2:46 PM, wayno said:

I realize that Nissan put that grove in the large bearing type transmissions, but the only reason I can see for that groove is to maybe lube the back side of the shift rods as that area has no exit except for the groove you made, the other groove is there for a couple reasons, one is to lube that lower bearing, the other reason is to have a place for the oil to go getting thru that upper bearing other than out the front cover into the clutch area.

wayno the groove is likely to let oil out from behind the shift rods. It gets in easy enough and would be stagnant otherwise. This way it circulates though the counter bearing as well.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Hey Crash, do you have access to a lathe? If so, why not make one of those extended sockets for the tailshaft nut? The you can use an impact gun to tighten the nut. I'll snap a pic of the ones I made later today.

Well technically I do have access, but since my company changed from a family owned company to full corporate things have changed.. they let me run a pair of machines that are worth around 3million, but i can barely use a hand grinder for personal stuff..... 

We have a large drill press with a rotary table that can index to specified degrees. All I needed to do was redrill just 4 holes in between the original holes, total of an inch of aluminum between the 4 holes, in a atv rim on a Sunday after I finish my work.. and got in trouble.

my boss said ok but dont get caught, well of course his boss came in for some damn reason and I got caught...  I was told only qualified operators should be running this ancient drill press, i said " really I'm not qualified", whatever and finished up, I figured if I was gonna get in trouble I might as well make it worth it and finish ...

we would call it government work around the shop.... well that ship has passed.....

• Like 1

Main shaft......... 100-125 ft. lbs.

Counter shaft...... 75-100 ft.lbs.

Not the end of the world if not exact. It works even if just barely snug (and probably for tens of thousands of miles) and the nut can't back off completely. I just used a large crescent wrench with a pipe on the end. It maybe moved 1/5? of a turn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Hey Crash, do you have access to a lathe? If so, why not make one of those extended sockets for the tailshaft nut? The you can use an impact gun to tighten the nut. I'll snap a pic of the ones I made later today.

We have a couple sets of these at work I would think that would work on a torque wrench pretty good..... 

Screenshot-20181223-151614-Chrome.jpg

But then again I'll probably do it like Mike did..... 

• Like 2

Big crescent wrench with a pipe will work fine. You'll need to figure out how to hold it while tightening it though.

Both of those nuts look factory staked, which makes one wonder about the forces it takes to wear, ever so slightly, the gear hubs and thrust washers over time. Enough to take all the torque out of the nuts.

• Like 1

Well looks like I need a size 27mm and a 38mm so probably not buying something..   

I'm thinking about drilling a hole and welding a socket into the side of my adjustable and trying to torque it that way......

Then I'll have an adjustable clawfoot....

Damn they exist....

Screenshot-20181223-194631-Chrome.jpg

I thought I had a money maker idea going.... still gonna make my own......

• Like 2

Open end wrenches as well as adjustable ones aren't very good when tightening or loosening with a heavy load. A box end or socket is much better. Remove that bearing and cut a socket and weld to a pipe long enough to slip over the mainshaft. Weld the other end on and use a torquewrench.

Well,...... if you tighten more than one mainshaft nut per week that is.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Open end wrenches as well as adjustable ones aren't very good when tightening or loosening with a heavy load. A box end or socket is much better. Remove that bearing and cut a socket and weld to a pipe long enough to slip over the mainshaft. Weld the other end on and use a torquewrench.

Well,...... if you tighten more than one mainshaft nut per week that is.

I've been thinking of a few different ways to get it done.... if I had to tighten things daily I'd spend the money over engineer something.... not worth it for 2 nuts, I'll get it right enough..... 

• Like 2

Well I'm having issues unstaking those 2 nuts.....

Any tricks to that?

Since that gave me issues I decided to play with the door locks..... I bought new locks and surprisingly they were incorrect  .....

The 521 has a small step on the plate that connects the cylinder to the lock rod. ... my new ones were flat..   

20181224-133010.jpg

2 bends a little welding and drilling and I have working locks finally.   

20181224-133237.jpg

Pulled it back out to put some paint on the metal.. Not the prettiest but it works....

• Like 1

Oh almost forgot I finally restarted my truck for a moment to check the oil pressure before I actually drained the oil and pulled the oil pan off... what a difference the high volume pump makes..... 

Idle was in the 30 -40 psi range to start and when I gave it some throttle I had a solid 60psi.....  

• Like 2