L20B engine in Hovercraft

I recently purchased a hovercraft that had one of these engines installed for the thrust motor.  I am in the process of starting it up and need help with the wiring of the distributor, coil, and what ever else is electric on the carb.  Also need help on what lines I can block off (coolant) because it only needs to go to the radiator.  I got the starter hooked up to the key but dont want to start wiring up stuff wrong.  Also how can I tell what year and make this motor is out of incase I need to order parts for it.  I have the serial number on the block located. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look on the bottom edge of the head behind the fuel pump between #1 and #2 spark plugs for the head identification number.

W58.... '78-'80 will have an EI (electronic ignition) distributor.

U67..... '74-'77 will have a points distributor

• Like 2

I will load some pics and more info soon.  I am looking forward to getting this motor running and getting this hovercraft out in the water.  I have built many hovercrafts and this is the first time using this type of engine on one. 

-There is a white wire on the carb that goes to a solenoid, is this a fuel cut on/off solenoid. Does it need connected to a hot wire?

- And how would I hook up the coil to the distributor?  12 volt wire goes to what side of the coil and where do I connect the resistor to the coil or in-between the coil and the distributor? 

-coolant line on the side of the head.  Can I plug this up or will it affect the cooling ports?

-Is there any other electrical connection on the carb that must be hooked up to run?

-Is there a way to text or phone somebody on some pics when I have a issue.  I don't want to just post my phone number.

• Like 2

The solenoid is hex shaped and must be wired to the ignition so it is on when running so you have fuel to the idle circuit.

I have to assume you have a points distributor. Negative side of coil to points. Positive side to ballast resistor. Other side of resistor to the ON or RUN position on the ignition switch. The START position on the ignition should be wired directly to the coil positive. When working you have the full battery 12 volts when cranking the engine to start but once running the ignition voltage is dropped by the ballast resistor. This prevents burning the points up and over heating the coil.

If you mean the coolant fitting on the head above the starter, plug this unless you are running a heater.

There is the idle cut solenoid and an electric choke. Both must have power to them when running.

Don't post phone number. Go to General Discussion and in the PINNED section find Photobucket and Ratsun. This will get you posting your own pictures.

• Like 1

Pictures would help us determine what distributor and carb you have.  The matchbox distributor usually does not use a ballast resistor.  But can use a ballast resistor if used with a point distributor coil.

Does the carburetor have an electric or manual choke?

W58 head so '78-'80 engine.

Look where the wires are, the terminals are marked C and B. You must use a '78 and up coil with this wiring below. A points coll can't handle the power the matchbox can provide. The proper coil gives a much higher output.

EIwiringtocoil.jpg

• Like 2

So the 12v + coming from the car harness is that coming from the ignition switch when it's in the "on" position or the "start" position

Connect the On to the coil with the matchbox set up.

What about the choke wire ? And the fuel valve wire

Already answered...

The solenoid is hex shaped and must be wired to the ignition so it is on when running so you have fuel to the idle circuit.

I have to assume you have a points distributor. Negative side of coil to points. Positive side to ballast resistor. Other side of resistor to the ON or RUN position on the ignition switch. The START position on the ignition should be wired directly to the coil positive. When working you have the full battery 12 volts when cranking the engine to start but once running the ignition voltage is dropped by the ballast resistor. This prevents burning the points up and over heating the coil.

If you mean the coolant fitting on the head above the starter, plug this unless you are running a heater.

There is the idle cut solenoid and an electric choke. Both must have power to them when running.

Don't post phone number. Go to General Discussion and in the PINNED section find Photobucket and Ratsun. This will get you posting your own pictures.

I wired it how you said and it has spark now! Now I will need help on what I can blow off and get rid of!

You need everything, don't fuck with it trying to 'simplify it'. There is no hidden magical power increase from messing with it.

Needs an air filter, that's imperative with a hovercraft.

Loose the fram.

• Like 3