1974 620 straight driveshaft... Is it possible ?

1974hellarust

My rear u-joint just went out for the second time and I am looking to put an all new straight shaft in. I don't know exactly how low my grow is but the rear is nearly as low as possible without c notch. I had the truck jacked up from one side and used a large piece of pipe and it looked like it would fit but the suspension was not fully compressed.

• Like 1
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It may not be the angle.

If you had the shaft apart in the center, and you not get the 3 u-joints indexed properly, the shaft will kill u-joints very quickly.

They have to go back together exactly like they came apart, or the rear shaft speeds up, and slows down every half turn.

Always mark the center flanges so they are indexed correctly.

• Like 1

Start researching these two things. If that doesn't fix it.. get your shaft balanced.

Was the carrier bearing lowered when the rear of the truck was lowerered?

Wedge blocks.

You want the ANGLE of the transmission output to equal the angle of the diff input.  They don't have to be pointed right at each other (and in fact should not, as that causes even more U-joint wear).

• Like 1

One piece works fine. As long as u r at ur final ride height(low as u plan goin). But angles r most important thing. Shim u trans if need b and angle blocks on the rear. My 521 has been running one for 5-7 yrs with no issues.

Perfect! This is exactly what I needed to know! What's an ideal angle for a car with a straight shaft would be my next question? And what's the best way to adjust the rear block angle and measure the angles?

• Like 1

The carrier bearing will knock out U-joints as fast as not having the driveshaft assembled properly - ALL u-joints cups at 90 degree increments, not one tooth off.  

The carrier bearing only supports the rubber isolator, but the yoke and flange in the end of the front driveshaft is splined and held on with a nut. This needs to be marked carefully so it goes back in exactly. The 521 has a slip shaft that you must be careful to keep the front and back U joints lined up.

Otherwise you can't assemble it wrong. All flanges are a rectangular bolt pattern so no way you can get the U joints 90 degrees to each other. You could have the front and rear drive shafts 180 to each other but the U joints are still in alignment.... but IF you were to notice a vibration just unbolt the front from the back just behind the carrier support and rotate 180 and bolt it back up.

• Like 1

The carrier bearing only supports the rubber isolator, but the yoke and flange in the end of the front driveshaft is splined and held on with a nut. This needs to be marked carefully so it goes back in exactly. The 521 has a slip shaft that you must be careful to keep the front and back U joints lined up.

Otherwise you can't assemble it wrong. All flanges are a rectangular bolt pattern so no way you can get the U joints 90 degrees to each other. You could have the front and rear drive shafts 180 to each other but the U joints are still in alignment.... but IF you were to notice a vibration just unbolt the front from the back just behind the carrier support and rotate 180 and bolt it back up.

Oh crap! I didn't mark the splines that go into my transmission... What do I do now?

• Like 1

Oh crap! I didn't mark the splines that go into my transmission... What do I do now?

You don't have to do anything. The splines into the transmission do not apply. Only if you disassembled the front driveshaft to replace the carrier bearing would you have to worry about any splines.

You don't have to do anything. The splines into the transmission do not apply. Only if you disassembled the front driveshaft to replace the carrier bearing would you have to worry about any splines.

There are splines at the carrier bearing you need to worry about.

Ok then I didn't see any splines when I took it apart but thanks!

• 3 weeks later...