1978 datsun 620 kingcab project -bags and v8 swap

Slammy

YYEEeaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!! I hate Chinese crap! :mad:

Great job makin it 400 times better than it was man!:D Nice fab and weld work.

Lookin forward to seein more pics of this great project.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

after kinda skimming through your build thread...all i can say is..WOW!

extremely nice work, especially that tranny mount and those motor mounts. those look killer. i was wondering, are you gonna have to do a cowl hood or some sort of hood modification on this?

your work is extremely clean and looks well thought out and consistant.

Wow Slammy! I've missed so much on this thread, and I can't tell you how impressed I am!

Those welds are freakin amazing.

Thanks for documenting all this for us!

Should get this welded in tomorrow after i pick up material to make cab mounts. Im going to recess the bolts down into the floor like factory. Thinking about doing a smooth rearwall now aswell, have to hollar at greg about it but it wont be hard to do. This one piece is half the floor by itself, then i get to mess with the real pain in the ass, tranny tunnel!

l_60c0dd18c4b149a89275a260f6ed7ad0.jpg

l_8c62d5213c95418288debe1116b49a76.jpg

Ran into this thread from another. Glad I did! That is some sweet work there Slammy nice to see how you are capable of looking at somthing, thinking on it and then follow through. And you run that welder like Fisch does his art work! What kind of machines do you run? I have a Miller 250 wire feeder that runs great and on the boat that I work on a POW CON stick machine that sings if you know what I mean?

Again Great Work look forward to watching this come together:)

PEACE WRAT

Ran into this thread from another. Glad I did! That is some sweet work there Slammy nice to see how you are capable of looking at somthing, thinking on it and then follow through. And you run that welder like Fisch does his art work! What kind of machines do you run? I have a Miller 250 wire feeder that runs great and on the boat that I work on a POW CON stick machine that sings if you know what I mean?

Again Great Work look forward to watching this come together:)

PEACE WRAT

Thanks! I use a Miller 251 and i cant stick weld at all! Ive used one ONCE!

Rear part of the floor is welded in. Made some cab mounts that are welded to the rocker panel and the floor sheetmetal and the cab bolts are recessed into the floor like factory. Then after much trouble i was able to bend the tranny tunnel/floorboard in one piece, that was a pain in the ass but i think it stronger and looks better than a million pieces all welded together. Ill build some front cab mounts, trim it to fit better and weld it in and the floor will be done. Then i can get started on the firewall and rear wall.

l_408374a90055466592b2d942fdcbf66c.jpg

l_47ea0ccd665b4379adf5a484fba8fbdb.jpg

l_e2d6824ab29d45c39abbc52fae8c10c9.jpg

Sweet break work man. Getting that thing in one piece must have been a real PITA! :blink:

Don't really have much foot-well area left though do ya?

I guess your gonna have one less pedal so it's all goodie in the hoodie.:cool:

Look forward to your updates man..nice work everytime!

Nuff respect.:cool:

Sweet break work man. Getting that thing in one piece must have been a real PITA! :blink:

Don't really have much foot-well area left though do ya?

I guess your gonna have one less pedal so it's all goodie in the hoodie.:cool:

Look forward to your updates man..nice work everytime!

Nuff respect.:cool:

haha yea in the pics it looks monstrous, in person its not so bad. There is 14.5 inches from the rocker panel to the tranny tunnel at the very front. The width is spot on what i wanted, its is as wide as the frame is inside to inside. The v8 is VERY wide in that little frame. The height is alittle high, id say an inch maybe 1.5" over what it needs to fit but you gotta think about pulling the engine and trans out you need room since you have to dive the damn thing in at a crazy angle to clear the core support.

Heres some pics of the seat in relation to the tunnel. Its not that its so big, the damn truck is tiny! Tunnel is 6" wide at one end and 22" at the other.

l_b232d6f2a0b742e7bace107bdfe6566c.jpg

l_d9f82068c74547bc9e8ff765b29d5ef2.jpg

Edited by Slammy

Never did show how i did the cab mounts. These are the front ones and the rears are pretty similar. Im not 100% happy with them, i wish i could have came up with something thinner but i had a big gap there to fill between the sheetmetal floor board and the top of the rubber mount. I went ahead and recessed them into the floor since i had plenty of material there. I figure once i get all this sheetmetal work done i will take off the cab and flip it over and do some more reinforcing.

l_f15ef67b08a64a969497554de8dd4331.jpg

l_f2d6aeedeacd4deea50c2f9be3172066.jpg

l_2f8678a21a10488790dc6316a1890f70.jpg

Man I dig that tunnel man. Its so high up it would make a nice place to build in some cup holders... Man datsuns need cupholders!!!! NICE!!!!!

yea the tunnel is alittle taller than i wanted but it was a bitch making that all one piece. I am thinking about cutting it down alittle bit though.

There really isnt a need to make it all one piece is there? Personally, I would have tried to use most of the existing tunnels radiused sections and stitched in flat sections to make it a larger version of the factory one. Could have made for a tighter fit and more in cab room. Maybe save some cost in steel...

Very nice work on the floor step at the door. And those cab mounts are nuts!

Any thoughts on the floor board and some stiffening? I didnt notice any bead rolling or anything to help support the seats. (Assuming it even needs it)

There really isnt a need to make it all one piece is there? Personally, I would have tried to use most of the existing tunnels radiused sections and stitched in flat sections to make it a larger version of the factory one. Could have made for a tighter fit and more in cab room. Maybe save some cost in steel...

Very nice work on the floor step at the door. And those cab mounts are nuts!

Any thoughts on the floor board and some stiffening? I didnt notice any bead rolling or anything to help support the seats. (Assuming it even needs it)

Steel cost is a nonissue, its $45 for a 4x8 sheet. As for the the old floor, it was all hacked up. Someone already had cut the tunnel out and half assed it back in before i even touched it for some reason. The front floor boards were pitted from rust and the rear part of the floor had holes from where the other guy had tried plasma cutting the crossmembers out underneath. Then you had the driveshaft notch at the back of the cab they tried doing, it was a million peices of sheetmetal, stacked on top of each other and it was solid rust. Basically the entire factory floor was trash which is why i cut it out otherwise i would have kept it. The factory tranny tunnel was also WAY WAY too small so it had already been completely cut out when i was fitting the engine in and i had cut it piece by piece so trying to save it would have ended up with a franken-tunnel.

The tunnel i made hugs the tranny width wise great. it just came out alittle taller than i wanted because i screwed up when i was laying it out and its not much, maybe 1-2 inches too tall at the top.

The reason i wanted it one piece was because it was easier to keep everything level from side to side and required way less setup time and welding which means less seams. After i bent the piece, all i had to do was trim the sides to fit and it basically it slid right into place, doesnt get any easier or cleaner than that.

As for bracing, i looked at the factory floor and it didnt have any major bracing on the bottom. It does have bead rolls and it uses the seat mount as a main brace. I am using 16 gauge which is alot thicker so the bead rolling isnt a problem. I had looked at using 18 gauge and getting a bead roller but then i needed a brake aswell which was way out of my budget. I am going to brace it from the bottom after i get it strong enough to take the cab off plus when i do the seat mounts they will be like factory and act as bracing aswell.

The cab mounts are beefy, i didnt want to make them so beefy but i had to do something to maintain the 1" to floor to frame clearance. I thought of a couple different ideas, this one was relatively simple and allows me to recess the bolts like factory and it gave me room around the bolt to spot weld the floor to the mount which i liked.

I usually come up with a buncha different ideas but i have to consider what tools i have and what my skills are at. This is the first time ive ever done a floorboard and the first time ive ever used a brake at all.

WOW! And first time using a brake!!! I was a tin bender for almost 6 years, I'd say you've got the hang of it :D Looks awesome dude!

Building tranny tunnels sucks IMO, maybe it's because after spending that much time on something your focused on it, but I'm never 100% happy when the ones I have built are done. Most things are like that for me though. I like the 100% custom sheet metal adapting back to factory sheet metal sucks, I like the idea!