1978 datsun 620 kingcab project -bags and v8 swap

Slammy

Just thought id share a project im doing for a customer. Ive always liked the lines on 70s datsun stuff and me being more into trucks ive always had a eye for the 620 kingcabs. Well i got a call from a guy about doing some work on one and here we are. Ive had prior experience with Datsuns though.

My old friend had a 72 datsun 1200 that ive never seen anywhere else and its not a 510, everyone said it was but it clearly said DATSUN 1200 on it so i dunno what that was about. We dropped a rotary motor in and used to race people with the "lil shitbox". They got a suprize by the lil datsun thats for sure!

As for this truck, it had already been backhalved and 4 linked by someone else. Apparently someone else did the front bags and did a horrible job. So i have started redoing the front bag setup and he dropped off a 350 chevy that i get to stuff in there somehow, should be intresting! Anyways heres some pics!

l_3b70fa3a3b10403daa6180b98235eb39.jpg

l_fd2b2f7f90c740a2a3e4512b1b1e8a0c.jpg

l_5b97377a0c304574af7d728a283ba125.jpg

l_d0faf9c3245b4678926aef7d01fd1730.jpg

l_a40e5b955f3246f48fcd95d75c930b67.jpg

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha, the trailer thing is just a joke that my dad and I have. Its because the quality of some of the MIG stuff you see is crap. Your stuff is really nice, and I appreciate somebody with the skill to do things right like you obviously have.

Ha, the trailer thing is just a joke that my dad and I have. Its because the quality of some of the MIG stuff you see is crap. Your stuff is really nice, and I appreciate somebody with the skill to do things right like you obviously have.

haha i hear ya man. Should have seen the shit i cut off this thing. Some guys go get a lil 110v cracker box welder and expect to get a decent weld on anything other than sheetmetal are crazy. I know because i did it! I was young and dumb and then i learned the ways of the 220v Miller MIG....:w00t:

Nice fab skills for sure. Any pix of the backhalf work? Oh & BTW...Datsun's rule ! :cool:

I can take some tomorrow. Its nothing special, just some 2x4 tubing stepped up and ran straight back. Doesnt even have bed mounts so the bed has never been put back on. I was looking at the work back there today alittle and saw some problems. but its a hell of alot better than the front was thats for sure!

I don't see the frame bending that easy just due to the fact that traction and pickups don't mix :D If the customer is that hard on rigs I can't see it being a bad idea. We all know those kinda guys, when the build a rig to be driven they mean DRIVEN!!

Well ive always known nissan trucks to have some of the weakest frames ive ever worked on. They really arent strong at all compared to other trucks. I was mostly concerned about the torque just twisting the frame. Im really leaning toward using a front and mid motor plate to square up the front half the of the frame. under the cab i am going to cut out the old torsion bar crossmember has it hangs down but im going to have to put something beefy back in for strength i think. As for traction, its got quite a bit of weight back there due to all that steel used in the backhalf plus it is 4 linked. I figure the rear end is gonna say no to the v8 if it ever gets any kind of traction. He was talking about putting a 9" ford in it the other day so who knows.

I dunno guys! I love the truck im just not too crazy about this motor deal he wants to do. I wish he would have kept the 2001 frontier motor and 5 speed that was in it and we could have just redid the swap and cleaned it up but its his truck so we will do what he wants.