1978 datsun 620 kingcab project -bags and v8 swap

Slammy

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

edit: holy unequal length headers batman.

quick question? on the third cylinder back on both sides, y are they as twisty as lombard st?

Just using the materials i have. I ordered a box of random bends and just made it work. Its not like im gonna go order each bend at a time and stop for a week waiting on one bent piece of tube.

I probably should have ordered 4 boxes of those bends instead of just 2.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the sheetmetal work is being put on hold for a bit. Sorry guys, i was really wanting to get going on that. Ill let yall know when we get back on it. Truck is going back into hibernation!

Well you better post up your next project :) Hey if it's not datsun it can always go in the "non datsun" section. It's always fun seeing your work, I get excited every time this thread is updated!

• 10 months later...

Been working on the other project but i got back on the datun. I had bought a 48" 16 gauge finger brake to do the sheetmetal work on the datsun. Well i got like 3 48" bends out of it before it took a shit on me. Heres the results, did i mention i hate cheap chinese shit before? I know i didnt have to buy it but fuck it didnt last longer than 30 mins running at its supposed max capacity. Hopefully this fixed it but i fully expect it to break the upper part now...we shall see.

I hate buying cheap tools too, but sometimes there are no middle of the road options. When I bought my Chinese finger brake I had to grind all the fingers to the same length so there were no weird creases in the sheetmetal after bending.

BTW- nice work.

"Factory these trucks have a one piece column/shaft that goes straight to the box like in the first pic. What i needed to do was convert it to where i could use ujoints in on a removable shaft like you would any other project. After some designing and machine work i got a aluminium adapter for the factory box that holds a sealed bearing. Next is to cut and weld the splined shaft onto the stock shaft once the parts get in. Then ill be laying out the rest of the steering."

I used a 720 clip on my 320 project and the steering box and idler arm mount on the outside of the frame and the idler arms is way more compact too. The 720 box had a splined shaft coming out of it. I used the stock 720 column for parts and the 320 column for the interior portion. It is supported by a bolt flange where it goes through the firewall and terminates about three inches into the engine bay. Then a u-joint and rag joint finish it off.

I dont know who bought the truck but he told me it was an out of towner. I think he sold it on Craigslist to some dude. I loved this truck and thought we were getting somewhere with it but he just couldnt afford to finish it.

Anyways if anyone needs anything you can email me @ Slammylivingston@gmail.com

I still post pics of other projects under the "Non Datsun" section so check it out!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...