1978 datsun 620 kingcab project -bags and v8 swap

Slammy

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I HAVE A QUESTION FOR SLAMMY, MY NAME IS JAMES AND THIS IS THE FIRST POST FROM ME. I HAVE AN 75 620 IM PLANING ON FLIPPING IT INTO A DRAG TRUCK, IM PLANNING ON GOING WITH A 383 STROKER AND FULL 2+3 SQUARE TUBE FRAME BEING NHRA CERTIFIED, MFS KIT WITH COILOVERS,NARROWED FORD 9' REAREND,4-LINK WITH A NARROWED( 24IN O/D TO O/D)COMP ENGINEERING REAR FRAME KIT, TUBBED,WITH 15/12 WHEELS IN THE REAR AND I WAS THINKING ABOUT TAKING THE TRUCK DOWN TO NORTH TEXAS ROD AND CUSTOMS INC,SO I WAS WANTING TO KNOW IF YOU HAVE HERD IF THEY DO GOOD WORK OR KNOW OF ANYONE THAT WOULD BE INTERESTED IN DOING THIS FOR ME. ILL POST MY PICS OF WHAT I HAVE IN THE NEXT COUPLE DAYS. THANKS!

Guest DatsuNoob

I HAVE A QUESTION FOR SLAMMY, MY NAME IS JAMES AND THIS IS THE FIRST POST FROM ME. I HAVE AN 75 620 IM PLANING ON FLIPPING IT INTO A DRAG TRUCK, IM PLANNING ON GOING WITH A 383 STROKER AND FULL 2+3 SQUARE TUBE FRAME BEING NHRA CERTIFIED, MFS KIT WITH COILOVERS,NARROWED FORD 9' REAREND,4-LINK WITH A NARROWED( 24IN O/D TO O/D)COMP ENGINEERING REAR FRAME KIT, TUBBED,WITH 15/12 WHEELS IN THE REAR AND I WAS THINKING ABOUT TAKING THE TRUCK DOWN TO NORTH TEXAS ROD AND CUSTOMS INC,SO I WAS WANTING TO KNOW IF YOU HAVE HERD IF THEY DO GOOD WORK OR KNOW OF ANYONE THAT WOULD BE INTERESTED IN DOING THIS FOR ME. ILL POST MY PICS OF WHAT I HAVE IN THE NEXT COUPLE DAYS. THANKS!

dont-know-what-were-yelling-about.jpg

cant say ive ever heard of them man, but im not much into the racing scene. Sorry!

Well im looking at converting this steering box to be able to use a ujointed shaft. Anyone have any opinions on using a sealed bearing instead of the factory bearing with an added seal?

I am going to have an adapter machined that bolts to the factory box that will either allow the factory bearing race to be pressed in on one side and some sort of oil seal on the other side or i might just make it where it only holds a sealed bearing but i dont know how well that would seal even with a press fit.

Opinions?

Well im looking at converting this steering box to be able to use a ujointed shaft. Anyone have any opinions on using a sealed bearing instead of the factory bearing with an added seal?

I am going to have an adapter machined that bolts to the factory box that will either allow the factory bearing race to be pressed in on one side and some sort of oil seal on the other side or i might just make it where it only holds a sealed bearing but i dont know how well that would seal even with a press fit.

Opinions?

Hi

I am not a 100% on what your end goal is , are you just trying to get more angle or go around the engine ? or just get away from rubber dounuts, you might be better off swapping to a 720 power steering box , they use u-joints at the box end , I will send you some pics , but not until later tonight, ( they are not on this computer and I don't have time right this minute )

More later Fast720

Hi

I am not a 100% on what your end goal is , are you just trying to get more angle or go around the engine ? or just get away from rubber dounuts, you might be better off swapping to a 720 power steering box , they use u-joints at the box end , I will send you some pics , but not until later tonight, ( they are not on this computer and I don't have time right this minute )

More later Fast720

Damnit i didnt think of 720s having the right box. I know a power steering box wont work cause its too big but a manual box would. I called a buddy thats building a 720 and he has a manual box on his, gonna go look at it. That would be a cheap easy solution!

UPDATE: Well went and looked at my buddies 720. The box on those trucks drops on the outside of the frame instead of the inside. Id have to replace all the 620 steering with the 720 parts and build a new box mount. Im gonna just keep going with converting the factory 620 box. I think it looks better aswell. I wanna say i thought about this before and looked into it and came to the same conclusion months ago but i forgot. Oh well.

Before i get started on the drivers header i needed to know where the steering was going to actually be at so i jumped on that.

Factory these trucks have a one piece column/shaft that goes straight to the box like in the first pic. What i needed to do was convert it to where i could use ujoints in on a removable shaft like you would any other project. After some designing and machine work i got a aluminium adapter for the factory box that holds a sealed bearing. Next is to cut and weld the splined shaft onto the stock shaft once the parts get in. Then ill be laying out the rest of the steering.

Stay tunered!

l_6b70db1f33644e60ac9b8b9c50041d90.jpg

l_1a9904a37bf3461a80a4b6fc65f271ee.jpg

l_9d89d836703c4731a7c548ca2c2e06f1.jpg

I would like to see how it comes out. I seen a guy install a Chevy v6 in his 620... I reallllllly did not like what he did to his column shaft to get that extra clearance... He had like 3 to 4 u joints and it just look rather sloppy for something rather important.

• 1 month later...

What motor is in your truck? do you have a steering problem?

I rebuilt the stock l20b... But you know the torsion bars and all this shit is pissing me off... I am planing for something big in the future. Just collecting parts for when I do...

For the price to rebuild the l20b I could of had a nice v8 american....

I rebuilt the stock l20b... But you know the torsion bars and all this shit is pissing me off... I am planing for something big in the future. Just collecting parts for when I do...

For the price to rebuild the l20b I could of had a nice v8 american....

Well let me know if ya need anything. I got all my blueprints saved