havin yet another problem

so i was tryin to get the tranny put in today, but for some reason i cant get the bastard all the way in... i dont know if its because shit isnt lining up or what, im pretty sure i aligned the clutch correctly, it looks dead on.. i had the engine lowered down as far as it would go but i could only get the input shaft into the clutch splines it wouldnt go into the pilot bushing i raised the engine back up an bolted it into the motor mounts and now i cant even get the input shaft to go into the clutch splines.. im kinda stuck i dont know what the hell to do i spent most the day wreslting the bastard but i jus cant get it.. is there any tricks?? is it cause my new pilot bushing?? or did i fuck up when putting the clutch in?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you used the clutch alignment tool then that's ok. Did you protect the pilot bushing with a piece of wood when pounding it in? Must have or the tool wouldn't have fit in.

I support the tranny with an assortment of 2X4s and have a hydraulic jack under the back of the oil pat to fine tilt the motor to get them sort of level.

This spring I lifted my 200sx tranny with my arms and knees and strong armed it up into position. As soon as the spline hit the pressure plate it slid forward with a bang against the motor! I wasn't even trying to get that far, I only wanted to rest the weight on the PP, but it slipped. Never since putting my first clutch in my '64 Dodge in '68 have I ever had one fall together, ever. I was so surprised I had to stop an take a break.

Check that the release bearing is still clipped to the clutch arm and is as far back as you can move it without it popping off.

i used a screw driver with a soft plastic handel an beat the tip with a hammer, pilot bushing went in pretty easy.. not super easy but pretty easy.. i had to take the clutch fork an tb off to get the tranny past the torsion bar (stupid header) so then i had to put it back on an it went on fine an everything was in place i will recheck but pretty sure its fine.. when first havin problems i backed the tranny out and stuck the alignment tool back in there i couldnt get it in very far but i did notice it was goin into the pilot bushing, when i put the clutch on an all that it was pretty tough to get the alignment tool out, is that normal? anyways when i looked at it it looks like its centered perfectly, i think that the engine an tranny arent lining up properly, when i did the trannys on the zx, (cause i did it twice, once with the maxima trans an then another T5) anyways both trannys i put in that zx as soon as the input shaft was in the clutch splines they slide right in no problem, like i said i think its the engine tranny alignment, prolly cause i'd lowered the engine, i have little pices of wood.. not much :(

put some grease on the end of the shaft. did you make sure you putt the pilot bushing in straight ?

ok i'll pick up some grease, i was thinkin about that too.. and ya the pilot bushing is straight.. its properly seated as far in as it goes, same spot as the old one that i took out

If you have removed the tranny with the motor in place the motor may be leaning foreward. Jack up the front of the motor and get it to tilt backwards a bit then try it. Are you muscling it in or trying to glide it in on a jack and blocks? You really gotta get under it. Ramps rock.

If you have removed the tranny with the motor in place the motor may be leaning foreward. Jack up the front of the motor and get it to tilt backwards a bit then try it. Are you muscling it in or trying to glide it in on a jack and blocks? You really gotta get under it. Ramps rock.

i think that maybe the issue right now i will try jackin the front of the engine up an put a lil grease on the tip of the input shaft i dont have ramps but i have jack stands :( we're basicly muscling it into place i have little jacks to use when i can but i dont really need it

I had this same problem when I still had my L series, I scarred the end of the pilot bushing a little trying to put the tranny together and that little bit of edge was stopping me from getting the 2 together. That bushing has to be tits and clean for everything to slide together right. And true, the angle of the motor and tranny has to be perfect! It's a bitch putting that mutha back in while under the truck and by yourself! The last time I had to do it, it only took about an hour to put it in and have it running again.

Good luck!:D

No grease on the shaft, bad idea that. The bronze pilot bushing is made from a special blend of bronze called oil-lite, specifically designed for a rotating shaft. You can ruin the bushing by adding grease to the mix, it could even sieze to your input shaft. Your clutch kit instructions probably state this somewhere.

If it was a roller bearing...grease away.

Make sure theres no burrs or scratches on the bushing. Take your time and make sure you motor and tranny are directly in line.

Like Mike said, if it goes right together the first time, your one lucky sob. ;)

fuck man, i took the PP an clutch off cause i still couldnt get the bastard in, an ya now my fucking clutch alignment tool wont even go in the pilot bushing now... WHAT THE FUCK! so what i gotta get a new pilot bushing? do they even sell those seperate its going to be a fucking major pain in the ass to do that again..... i sure wish i had some help man cause obviously i dont know what the fuck im doing

i think im going to borrow a engine hoist an take the engine out an redo the pilot bushing its like 4$ an then i will put the tranny and engine in together.. i was hoping to get this done before winter but ya i guess not eh i wish yall lived closer, most the people around here are too busy to help :(

Lynch, I really think that you need to see how that pilot bushing cleans up, If it doesnt look good then get a new one. Use a socket with a very slightly smaller O.D. to install it.

I really think that you are opening a big can of worms if you pull the motor also.

Jason

Hey man...hang in there!:) I had a heck of a time with my 5speed swap since the exhaust was all in the way. I had to sawzall the exhaust and use a bunch of wood cribbing to get the motor moved forward 3 inches...which meant that I had to pull the radiator, the mounts, the fan ect. I SHOULD have just pulled the motor a;ll the way out and done a little detailing while I was at it. I had my wife help hold the motor on the jack, while I positioned the transmission. I am very thankful for her help...I can see why you are frustrated!:( It seems like you have some Ratsun Brothers steppin ' up to the plate and willing to help:cool:

NOW....just keep the beer for AFTER the motor is back in!:lol:

Peace to you!

when i put the clutch on an all that it was pretty tough to get the alignment tool out, is that normal?

NO, IT'S NOT! It should slide in and out very easily. If you had ANY trouble getting the alignment tool OUT, then your going to have a hard time getting the tranny back in. Think about it, the alignment tool is so tight that it has to be perfect to take it out. How well do you think your tranny has to be aligned to get back in????:rolleyes:

Put the tool back in and loosen the bolts that hold you clutch in, with the tool in, roll it in a circle to find were your clutch would be centered. Snug up the bolt a little and do it again. Keep this going until are sure it is centered. Your tool should now be able to slide freely.