hit 100?

tdaaj

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

100???!!!! Not in stock trim. I have hit 85 once. Regularly run her about 70ish. Pulled out to pass a semi and had some jackass get right on my ass. Piss me off!!!! When your cruising at around 4K rpm it doesn't take long to hit the 85 mark. Looking forward to having a 5 spd. Then I will say hell ya!

I haven't had a 620 too a 100 in many years. But I used to hit it way too often, one and only one time on a stretch of I5 south between terwilliger and tigard, nice section of gradual downhill, i had the needle pointed straight down ath the P in the MPH. Sure as hell would not drive that section of road that fast anymore.

My current 620 with the 3.7 rear gears is very happy to cruise at 80 mph down the freeway. It wouldnt even flinch at going much faster. Actually had the opportunity a couple weeks ago to try it out and thought to myself, no not today. About a half mile later when i would have been up to a good speed, I pass a state trooper on a motorcycle hiding in the center median.

Kind of felt lucky that afternoon.

Jason

• 4 weeks later...

I used to get my 720 to 120+.

The stock cam would hit a wall @ 4500 RPM's.

Just totally run out of breath.

I'd bet with a cam change I coulda seen at least 130MPH.

Might actually use more of the Holley 350CFM 2Bbl.

With a final O/D change in the trans, I'd bet 135.

Not regularly, mind you.

Maybe once every two months.

This was in a roadster,

no top/cab,

no rollbar,

no seatbelts.

Yes. I am crazy.

I also used to drive it all through Ohio winters, 10 degrees, no top, no heater.

Yes, people would stare.

Edited by agentalpha

i have hit 90 in the 620 the other day. had a load of tools in the back and no pass mirror. so i found a nice WIDE opening to merge over but had to pass a prius doing 70. god that scared the S outta me. i thought the 16 was gonna drop a load on me. i think that was around 4500 RPM or so in 4th.

i have hit 90 in the 620 the other day. had a load of tools in the back and no pass mirror. so i found a nice WIDE opening to merge over but had to pass a prius doing 70. god that scared the S outta me. i thought the 16 was gonna drop a load on me. i think that was around 4500 RPM or so in 4th.

As long as it doesn't overheat and has oil, an L16 will sit at 6,000 all day long. 5 huge main bearings, fully counter weighted crank...they love to rev.

yeah well.... in 4th i dont like doing over 4k. its just me. feels like its kinda wheezing out to me. but then i am used ot a car that will sit at 110 and 3500 rpm all day long and not even phase it. or maybe its that a 5spd is what i am used to. who knows.

In my previous 78 620, I'd race at 105 around the corners. Had the Nismo torsion bars and lowered quite a bit. It handled nice.

In the current 78 620 with one rusted out cab mount, I rarely go above 85. She has hit 100, but I'm babying here until I get around to restoring. Which may be a while with the other project cars I have to finish.