INSMNCS: John Cain

The Art Of Japanese Tooth Brushing

As a side note, another factor that contributed to the maintenance of teeth in Japan was the tradition of “ohaguro,” or the blackening of teeth.

Tonkin_woman_zpshbz6suou.jpg

While this tradition was done primary for reasons of fashion and status, it also indirectly protected one’s teeth by forming a protective barrier around them. Usually this was done with a dark-brown concoction made of ferric acetate, made by dissolving iron filings in vinegar. When the solution was combined with vegetable tannins it would turn black and become non-water soluble

• Like 1
  • Replies 19.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• flatcat19

• VFR800

• KoHeartsGPA

• datzenmike

Top Posters In This Topic

She's not Japanese but SE Asian. The blackening of the teeth is from chewing Betel nuts which dyes them a deep red color almost black. In addition there is French writing on the picture. Probably from French Indochina.

Bruce Jenner, eh?  Yikes.  All too real these days.  Did I rant on the fact that the LGBTA is now adding Q to their list.  For "Questioning."  Shit of this type makes me want to make an alliance for SBQLBGT.  That would be Straight people questioning the Lesbian, Gay, Transgender as to whether or not they're really that way!   :D

(I kid, I have no problem with any person of any persuasion, but the addition of "Questioning" to the LBGT acronym is just fucking stupid.)

And did I further mention I got my car back from the bodyshop today.  Not happy.  Even my untrained bodyman eye can see the wave in the top edge of the fender.  Which means I'll most likely be yanking the fender (even though I just paid $475 to fix it while I provided the paint) and giving it to my bodyman to make it actually straight, then repaint again and hope the butt-match isn't that noticeable.  Pretty fresh paint, so it should be fine.

Yes, I know, I should make the body shop redo it, but as I told my bodyman, if they did a crap job once, what's to say they'll do a better job the second time?  I'd rather have someone I know who will obsess over it.  Should have just done that in the first place.

And did I further mention I got my car back from the bodyshop today.  Not happy.  Even my untrained bodyman eye can see the wave in the top edge of the fender.  Which means I'll most likely be yanking the fender (even though I just paid $475 to fix it while I provided the paint) and giving it to my bodyman to make it actually straight, then repaint again and hope the butt-match isn't that noticeable.  Pretty fresh paint, so it should be fine.

Yes, I know, I should make the body shop redo it, but as I told my bodyman, if they did a crap job once, what's to say they'll do a better job the second time?  I'd rather have someone I know who will obsess over it.  Should have just done that in the first place.

Why must we learn this so many times...

Because we never actually learn it.

This is why we don't have nice things.....