• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• flatcat19

• VFR800

• KoHeartsGPA

• datzenmike

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like this stereo

If you have a stock style AM radio with mono output this write up is for you.

Although the sound of an l-series motor is music to my ears, the deafening drone of gear noise on the highway drove me to to come up with an audio solution for my car. Was not satisfied with crappy AM radio, but HATE the look of modern stereo deck in a classic car. Seriously, if you cut up the dash in your Datsun for a crappy walmart deck, shame on you. :no:

You can wire in an auxiliary port to play all you favorite Backstreet Boys' songs from you ipod with a simple 50cent RCA jack, some wire and a little know how. This aux in basically takes signal info from a device and sends it to your speaker, be it audio from a portable CD player, walkman, ipod ect. It sounds surprisingly good, especially if you upgrade your speaker.

Parts you will need:

-Working AM radio and speaker.

-Wire (~22gauage)

-A resistor (anywhere from 80-220 ohm)

-RCA Jack.

You can get this at radio-shack, or online: http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/SMJ-6/3.5MM-STEREO-MINI-PHONE-JACK-W/2-NC-SHUNTS/1.html

You will need a 2 normal closed shunts type RCA aka 2NC . This means that when nothing is plugged in, the normal radio signal can still flow through the RCA and to your speaker, but when plugged in, the switch is broken and the speaker gets its input from yer Ipod.

Tools:

-Soldering gear, including shrink wrap

-wire cutters, wire strippers, ect

-basic hand tools

You will need 2 wires, make them as long as they need be to reach from the radio to your desired mounting location.

Wire up the RCA jack like this:

CIWflLA.png

here is an actual picture:

TCRmgDn.jpg

The resistor is inline so you can play stereo information in one speaker. Basically blends the stereo signals from your ipod into a mono signal.

After your little RCA is all wired up, remove the radio from the car. Remove whatever necessary to get inside the radio, for me there was 2 screws holding on the backing plate. Once you do that look at the Volume control knob. Look at the guts just on the inside of where the volume knob side is. There are three sections to it working from face to rear. One is a switch for on off, the next back is a potentiometer for tone, the other is another pot for volume. There are 3 wires connected to the pots, oYou want to splice into the input side of the volume pot, aka the unaltered signal wire from the antenna. In my radio the input was red.

pic:

NOTICE! in the picture I did this step wrong. The blue wire i spliced into is the output of volume pot and the way it is wired in this pic gives no volume control with the volume knob. The red wire to the left is what you should splice into, and later I did go back and fix it, but did not get a pic. If in doubt hook up your radio to a 12v source, and read voltage with radio on at both ends of the pot. The wire with lower voltage, and which voltage drops when you turn the volume knob down is the one you splice into.

ibs2tll.jpg

All thats left to do now is route the wires, close the radio and run the jack to a location of your choosing. I put mine in the center of this dohickey.

cLVi0nl.jpg?1

Video of it working:

Notice in the video, it worked but no volume control because I wired it wrong. Later that night I fixed it however. Also, my antenna is broken so when I pull the plug you only hear static, but if wired up right you should get AM when you unplug your input cord.

and finally I gotta say, with any project like this YOUR MILAGE MAY VARY. seriously, read schematics, look up how electricity works, buy a multimeter and a soldering iron, but above all dont be afraid to just try it out. I bench tested mine, was pleased enough to install it, but pulled it out again to fix what I did wrong. dont be afraid to get a 12v battery and test it out before you put it back in, and if it doenst work, then experiment as to why. Hell, the RCAs and resistors are cheap enough, by a couple of them incase you f-up. This is a basic guild, and Im not an expert so dont expect me to be back here to troubleshoot your problems if it goes wrong. Good luck and thanks for reading! :frantics: B)

Nope

Game , Set ,, Match,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  bananahamuck

Grasping at straws,,,,,,,,,,,,  come on bro i know you could easily type more words than that.

Like i said

Game,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,set ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Match .

Hmmmm  You pronounce you haven't lost this battle of opinions and and yet you post a picture of probably THE most poor loser OF ALL TIME... to drive home your point.  Hmmmmm

Excitement Stutter ^^^

Game ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Set,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Match

again

:geek:

Oh shit, this is a battle of opinions? Well in that case you're the obvious winner hands down, because that's been your only opinion all along. Jesus, what was I thinking. I must be delusional to think I could compete with a Troll Master like you. TJ Sotomayor eat your heart out, cuz Nanner's in the house.

Game ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Set,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Match you big winner you.

big%20-winner.jpg

• Like 3

Well  chya ,,, did you see the thread title?? 

At least we agree on something ,, i am a winner,,, and you are teh loser ,,,,, thank you.

:) :)

But,,  could you please for your childrens sake,, learn to control your temper and the use of such vulgar language..... Remember only losers resort to 4 letter words

Oh shit, this is a battle of opinions? Well in that case you're the obvious winner hands down, because that's been your only opinion all along. Jesus, what was I thinking. I must be delusional to think I could compete with a Troll Master like you. TJ Sotomayor eat your heart out, cuz Nanner's in the house.

Game ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Set,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Match you big winner you.

big%20-winner.jpg

And before you say you don't have a "anger problem"  look how long you worked on that picture,,,, Heart beating out your chest,, furriously working away till it was juuuuuust right and the letters matched up perfectly ,,, just so i could :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: at it......

Knowing that you think of me as  young and beautiful ,, and being admired by everyone around me..

:wub: :wub:

Thank you for that ,,,,,,,,,,,,, but i already knew it in my heart.

• Like 1

Someone buy by metal art speeder .... I need to register my goon.. 100$ shipped and free adult sodas at the butter box at camby

I'm motoring down in FAT510s 720 truck loaded with alumium wheels for Tdaaj  in exchange for gas money,, and hell i'm only like 150 miles away..  i can't seem to sell anything on Craigslist any more..  Lotta e-mails and texting but no real buyers..

That whole driving a butterscotch colored 4door seems played out anyway.

:lol:

Well  chya ,,, did you see the thread title?? 

At least we agree on something ,, i am a winner,,, and you are teh loser ,,,,, thank you.

:) :)

But,,  could you please for your childrens sake,, learn to control your temper and the use of such vulgar language..... Remember only losers resort to 4 letter words

And before you say you don't have a "anger problem"  look how long you worked on that picture,,,, Heart beating out your chest,, furriously working away till it was juuuuuust right and the letters matched up perfectly ,,, just so i could :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: at it......

Knowing that you think of me as  young and beautiful ,, and being admired by everyone around me..

:wub: :wub:

Thank you for that ,,,,,,,,,,,,, but i already knew it in my heart.

And a graceful winner at that.

high_heels_dancing_fail.gif

You can let go of those straws now.

Been reading up alot on "mind, body reprogramming". This is paradimes deal for sure.

anyway one of the things your suppose to repeat is.......

" hello anus, it is now time to refresh, reboot, recalibrate "

no joke