Let's try this again; flatcat's 521

It will remove less heat but from a larger volume of water   

Precisely the issue. Then the water re-enters the engine at a slightly higher than normal temperature. Even if it's just a few degrees, it's a vicious cycle that gets worse and worse and worse until it overheats. 

I am no thermal engineer. I've just seen L-series engines that slowly overheat with no thermostat then work fine once a thermostat is installed. 

Why it does this is simply academic anyway. It was designed to work with one, so it definitely needs one installed.  :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Replies 911
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll be back out under the hood when it cools down just a little bit more. 

Tonight's tasks:

install alt, belt, rad, shroud. 

remove thermostat housing and install new t-stat and gasket. 

fill with coolant. run. 

wire up 620 corner markers. 

test drive?

FUCK!!!

Got all that done. While dinking around with the alternator I noticed there was large chunks of exposed wires. 

SO I started replacing chunks of wire which ended up being almost the whole starting/charging circuit. 

Hooked the negative wire up when done. No smoke. Very cool. 

Went and grabbed the key. Got one strong crank from the starter...and nothing. 

Nothing. Fuck. I brought home no electrical testing tools. 

But what I did find really got me upset. 

This wiring harness has been cooked once before. Nothing but strands of black wires and white wires twisted to existing Datsun wires wrapped with electrical tape from inches right after the fuse box; all tucked neatly hidden behind the battery. Dammit!

Fuck! Fuck! Fuck!

• Like 1

Flatcar I do not have any 521 harnesses.  I used the 1980 720 harness in my 520 but this takes you to a matchbox distributor, IR alternator, and there is work to be done to tie in the 521 instrument cluster and turn signals.  you also have to reposition wires in the head light sockets and the wiper motor socket.  The fuel tank wires have to run to the drivers side as the tank is opposite side and then make connections for tail lights.

I get some of my wiring supplies from Vintage Connections.

http://www.vintageconnections.com/

I've heard the same thing but sounds wrong to me. The rad radiates heat. How fast the water is traveling has no effect on this. It will remove less heat but from a larger volume of water rather that lots of heat from a smaller volume of water. The amount of BTUs removed will be the same.   

If the coolant doesn't have enough time to cool in the radiator it will gradually get hotter and hotter with no way to cool down. The longer you drive the hotter it will get, it does take a while though. Been there, done that :lol: 

• Like 1

Every couple of years, a 620 gets dropped off and abandoned in my yard. Advantage: gato plano. 

521:

620:

Both measure about 4"x2" with a 3 1/2" spacing for the screws. 

Well would you look at that. 

You know... If those fit... Then these should fit too...   B)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-1200-B110-KB110-N-S-sunny-pair-side-marker-light-turn-signal-lamp-NEW-/360739045740?hash=item53fdb9016c&vxp=mtr

$(KGrHqRHJBoE-dcbeDZUBPwkNkSyZw~~60_57.J

• Like 1

Those are neat. I'd need to find the rear lights too though.

Right now those are not a concern of mine.

Denmark boy should have a harness to me shortly.

When I get that I will retape the harness and add a relay for the headlights, as per DanielC.

Parts from Kevin should be here soon too.

• Like 2

Man, I can't remember for the life of me...but I'm like 60% sure I had a front half NOS harness. Where the hell could it be? Hmmmm. I have no clue.

What's funny is I've needed 3 521 harnesses in the 6 years I've been Datsuning.

I would love to build original harnesses.

• Like 1

What's funny is I've needed 3 521 harnesses in the 6 years I've been Datsuning.

I would love to build original harnesses.

dont you have to own, over the said 6 years, a datsn to consider your self datsuning .... other wise your just laotsuing via smoke?

• Like 1