Is this Datsun 510 actually worth the asking price?

Yes we have done that here in Datsunville more than once. Built a decent or even really nice 510 that someone has just driven for a minute and sold because the market was good

I understand if they weren't looking to sell but get approached with an offer to good to pass up but hate it when you go the extra mile to help someone so they can enjoy the car only to see it get flipped.

To the Keeper's credit it is still another 510 back on the road either way.

• Like 1
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the ad off the realm from Oct 2013,

icon_post_quote.gif
Year: 1973

Make and Model: Datsun 510

Exterior Color: Tan/Brown

Interior Color: Brown/Black

Auto or Manual?: Manual (Dogleg 5-speed)

Odometer Reading: 124,xxx

Location of Vehicle: Ventura, CA

Asking Price: $4,000 obo

Pictures:Pics Here

Extras: Brake hoses

Description: I've owned this car since December of 2008 and have been using it as a daily driver since August 2010. It has run perfectly for me, and I wouldn't hesitate to take this car across the state, or the country if I had to. Now, without carpeting it would be a little loud, but mechanically it would make it. I have run it through its paces in autocross events and the canyons/highways in and around Ventura County. The engine is strong for an L16 and the suspension makes for nice, predictable handling at the limit. I just renewed the registration today ($80), so you'll just have to pay for the transfer till next October. Please see below for all of the details, overall the car needs body & interior to be a clean daily driver but feels like it will run forever in its current state. Please shoot me a PM or email if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Adam

Engine-

-Stock L16

-Regular oil changes

-Seeping oil from near the head gasket, but only enough to make the area look wet, no visible drips on the block

-Does not smoke and starts quickly

Drivetrain

- Dogleg 5-speed transmission installed in August 2010 w/ new clutch and proper GL4 fluid

- One of the starter bolt holes is stripped out, so the starter is being held in place with 1 bolt and a quick release mechanism (vise-grip)

- Stock R160 diff

Suspension

- BZ3015 inserts with 175 lb springs on the front

- Modified control arms, I cut the stock bushing off of the arms and welded in a 3/4 threaded insert to use with a 3/4 rod end and Futofab spacers

- Experimental Engineering T/C bushing kit and Idler Arm bushing kit

- Front Swaybar bushings replaced in March 2013

- KYB GR2 Camaro rear shocks

- Split in half 16" x 400lb x 3" ID spring for the rear with plywood spacers on each side

Brakes

- Porterfield R4-S pads and stock size rotors

- Master Cylinder replaced in August 2010

- Stock rear drum setup

Electrical

- Added ignition power relay for Autometer tachometer and stereo

- Headlight relays added, schematic will be provided

nterior

- Subaru WRX front seats

- No rear seats

- Pioneer head unit with 2 speakers installed behind rear seat area, 2 front speakers will be included for you to install

- No carpeting, it was falling apart and I pulled it to avoid soaking the floor pans with leaks from the old front and rear window rubber

Body

- Has new trunk and doors seals with the inner front window seals replaced in 2010, all other rubber needs to be replaced

- The bumpers aren't mangled, they just need a quick polish to shine

- The hood and truck have spot rusting that I think is consistent with the age of the vehicle

- The hood wasn't latched properly one morning and flew up at 25-30 MPH, so the hood is a little tweaked

- The roof needs to be fixed/replaced, I will include a spare roof

- The right rear quarter panel/wheel area was damaged by the previous owner many years ago and the repaired area isn't holding up well

Contact Information

E-Mail: importracer411 theatsymbol hotmail dot com

Sweet man! Thanks a lot :thumbup:. I'll get in contact with the guy who previously had it and ask some more details about the car that I'm sure the current owner won't say. It feels as if everyone knows every datsun that has ever been sold. Feels like a close community haha.

Then why you own 910s?  :rofl:

Ah ha!  But it's NOT a 910!  For it to be a 910, it would have to be 9 inches shorter in the nose and have a 4 cylinder.  Nissan chose to continue the 81-84 810s as Maximas, but they are 810s, not 910s.  Contrary to popular belief.  ;)

Ah ha!  But it's NOT a 910!  For it to be a 910, it would have to be 9 inches shorter in the nose and have a 4 cylinder.  Nissan chose to continue the 81-84 810s as Maximas, but they are 810s, not 910s.  Contrary to popular belief.   ;)

There was also an in house problem!  The 910 designation just might have infringed on the USA Porsche  911 etc. series designations.  So the "safe" out was "Maxima" as the 900 series sales and advertising designation.

That was my car until October 2013, I wrote that long for sale ad.  And incase anyone had any doubts, the car is not worth $8k, it was barely worth the $3k that I got for it.  It seems that the current owner and the guy I sold it to originally are trying to work the market.

Adam

• Like 10

That was my car until October 2013, I wrote that long for sale ad.  And incase anyone had any doubts, the car is not worth $8k, it was barely worth the $3k that I got for it.  It seems that the current owner and the guy I sold it to originally are trying to work the market.

Adam

Finally this is back on track.

Adam

Hey Adam, it's me Jesse. How much rust was there when you sold the car? Was it fully functional as a daily driver when you sold it? Haha yeah this thread was heading out of track. It's so tempting to buy a 510! But it's best to not rush it and end up getting ripped off.

Ah ha!  But it's NOT a 910!  For it to be a 910, it would have to be 9 inches shorter in the nose and have a 4 cylinder.  Nissan chose to continue the 81-84 810s as Maximas, but they are 810s, not 910s.  Contrary to popular belief.   ;)

Pic of the chassis code and I'll never say it again.   B)

• Like 1

Hey Adam, it's me Jesse. How much rust was there when you sold the car? Was it fully functional as a daily driver when you sold it? Haha yeah this thread was heading out of track. It's so tempting to buy a 510! But it's best to not rush it and end up getting ripped off.

Hey Jesse, the roof was a total wreck, hence the spare roof has been following this car around.  The passenger rear quarter panel, just in front of the tire, needs a big patch panel, the seam around the trunk/truck floor was starting to get a bunch of bubbles and the were was spot rusting on floors (10% coverage).  Aside from the rust, the car was a greatly daily for me for the 3 years that I drove it.  The suspension mods made it quite fun to drive and many people on the Realm will be able to vouch for its agility from our many canyon runs.  

If you can get the car for $3-4k and are able and willing to do the rust repair, then I would say go for it.  At this point though, the seller has some lofty goals so you'd have to wait him out. Still want the pictures?

Adam

I was interested in the car before and just wanted to know a little more about it since the previous owner commented and was able to help out what was up with the car when he sold it. Thanks amwalker! This also helped me out in what to look for when buying a Datsun!

• Like 1