Idle hands: assorted projects

Platten and table done.

nENopBM.jpg

g3SeQQo.jpg

Tested and works, but gonna have to figure out something for the drive pulley as it is pretty easy with a bit of pressure to just get the drive belt slipping.

In other news I've admitted to myself that the time cost involved with fixing the cowl is more than the monetary cost of just buying a replacement. So, while I wait for that to show I'm off on another side quest for dryer air.

ObSr2gF.jpg

KAknBui.jpg

Gotta get replacements for one wrong fitting and one cracked fitting and then it'll be ready for final assembly.

• Like 1
  • Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Leak tested, mounted and put to use.

pM8thuR.jpg

Tested it out by cooling some welds, no water in the little separator or out of the blow gun and the air coming out of the gun seemed a good bit cooler.

New cowl came in and I wasted no time cutting it up.

Bscp4n9.jpg

Opted to go with a single blank to shave the vents rather than the six from last time.  Looking good so far.

eWIlAJo.jpg

• Like 2

Two questions, if you have time. I'm not being cute, I really do not know, what is the purpose for that copper tube rack you built on the wall by the air compressor?
 Also, if you cover the cowl vents where do you get air for the defrost?

On 6/2/2020 at 8:59 PM, frankendat said:

Two questions, if you have time. I'm not being cute, I really do not know, what is the purpose for that copper tube rack you built on the wall by the air compressor?
 Also, if you cover the cowl vents where do you get air for the defrost?

Basically acts like a radiator cooling the air, water ends up condensing in the tubes and drops down into those drip legs.

Air will just be recirculated, I'll be going with a smaller under dash unit for heat/defrost so it wouldn't mount up to the fresh air inlet anyway.

10 hours ago, ]2eDeYe said:

Love the belt sander, I hacked up a handheld unit to build a clamp in the vice belt sander. 

The rollers on mine are also from a handheld sander that the motor crapped out on. So far $0 invested in it, and the only things I know I'll have to buy are a power port and a three position switch.

No picture, because it doesn't really look any different, but the vent patch is fully welded in now.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, UnderControl said:

Basically acts like a radiator cooling the air, water ends up condensing in the tubes and drops down into those drip legs

Thank you for the reply. What is the purpose for the cool air?

1 hour ago, UnderControl said:

What he said. In my case it's mostly for blasting, blasters work better when you don't have water clumping up the media. Toward the end of this project I'll also be trying my hand at priming and maybe even paint that doesn't come out of a rattle can.

Thanks for the info, I have done a fair amount of blasting (still do on occasion). There's a water catch on the compressor, but it isn't even 1/100 the size of your massive structure. Sometimes, I have had clumping, but wrote it off to rusted parts or parts I didn't get 100% clean. BUT, I live in the desert.  I spent a few summers in Indiana and was amazed at the "damp"  of it. Is the humidity what inspires such lengths to combat? Or are you taking the standard steps for quality/professional blasting, instead of the everyday standard blasting that I am familiar?

It was about 100% humidity here last night and got a good bit of water out of the drip tube that in my experience would have just caused my media to clump and clog the feed hole.  Just trying to give me cheap pressure pot the best chance at working.  This dryer is for sure huge, but a whole lot cheaper than a good off the shelf dryer.

Speaking of sand blasting, underside of the dash and the kick panel pockets are as blasted as they're gonna get.

hjqdyVl.jpg

YInR9dl.jpg

Turns out I'm out of rust converter so I'll need to pick some up so I can get it all sealed up. After that I'm gonna finish up my firewall deletes and the the cowl will finally go back on for good.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Haven't really done much on the mustang in the last couple of weeks. Partly because hot and partly because work in on other things.

Went to help a buddy get a start on freshening up his FD a bit. Starting with pulling the turbo manifold to get decked and regasketed.

mWl7d4M.jpg

SaKKO6e.jpg

Amazingly all of the bolts that needed to come off broke free with no drama. The 2 of 4 wastegate bolts that were actually present on the other hand took some doing.

Then I took 3 days to replace intake gaskets and oil pressure switch on the merc because I vastly underestimated how heavy the intake is and required acquiring another tool to have any hope of doing it alone.

lxeG61R.jpg

Turns out having a bunch of room in the engine bay is great for doing things like spark plugs, but trying to pull and place a 100 lbs intake combo from 3' away sucks bad.

• Like 1

Many holes later and still with a couple dozen to go.

JUVsSM7.jpg

Then today the first of two resto pieces showed up for the merc.

mDRuEY7.jpg

Much to the dismay of many I know the "jeepers creepers" chicken wire grille is going away, but first this one is getting some cleanup.  There was a fair bit of oxidation on the plating, but nothing some Scotchbrite and simple green couldn't take care of.

5bJCc1h.jpg

The recessed areas will also be getting a couple coats of satin black but, naturally I ran out again.

• Like 1

All the holes are drilled and dressed. Just need to weld up some holes from being a little over zealous removing the old spot welds, then I'll almost be ready to get to welding these bits on.

8ohjAIM.jpg

Got the black on the merc grille. Now just got to wait a couple days for it to cure then I'll sand down the fronts. 

ZtVZIea.jpg

• Like 1
On 7/12/2020 at 1:45 AM, UnderControl said:

More work on other people's random things. Not exactly sure what it is, but it's kinda old and very Russian.

TZu3QeU.jpg

It also has a lot of natural weight reduction.

ho6gsAm.jpg

6dmrb6x.jpg

NGrQxEv.jpg

And that's where we got rained out.

This is a Lada Samara https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lada_Samara

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Aibast said:

Thank you sir. I could have just asked my buddy again, but this somehow was easier. This being one of 3 Ladas he has and one of 4 Russian vehicles. The other is a super cool 50s Limo. Didn't get a picture of the Limo, but did snag one of the sweet hood emblem.

xAwuO8Y.jpg

As I recall that belongs to this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAZ-12_ZIM 

• Like 1

well, as a child of soviet era ( born in 1982 ) I remember most of these things driving around. If your buddy needs stuff for them, they sell parts for these cars real cheap in here. Don''t know about shipping prices.