Idle hands: assorted projects

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I've been fighting rust repair fatigue this week so mostly been playing with the printer. Also found out today that the grill opening on the merc doesn't actually fit the proper grill, so some body work will be required before I can swap it out.

I do have supports in place, but haven't bothered taking pics.

Also pretty sure I'm going to rebuild the 500cfm 2300 Holley that was on the mustang and put it on the merc.

Edited by UnderControl

I must say rebuilding this holley was a dream compared to the bike carbs.

zUnKVw9.jpg

9zauBwR.jpg

Spent an hour after rebuilding trying to figure out the electric choke conversion, only to flip the instructions over to see a special set of instructions for my model of carb that requires an extra part. There definitely wasn't a large bold notice on the front page of the instructions about those special instructions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ordered the new fast idle lever last night, but for kicks I decided to see about putting the choke together with the old one and it seems to line up perfectly with the high idle cam so, yeah. The new one should be here before I go to swap the carbs and I'll have to pull the choke off anyway to get the vacuum advance hose on, and I'll probably just swap the new one to have a new shiny one.

fC03grL.jpg

• Like 1

Well, when I decided I was going to give this thing the best resto I could I hadn't found out all the rust and various other damage. I haven't decided if I'm regretting that decision yet, but I'm pot committed. So far I'm still stopping shy of choosing to do full quarters, they are dirt cheap, but the large leaded seams feels like something I don't want any part of.

For today though, the rusty quarter extension and trunk corner are out.

hhbmANY.jpg

Extension is cleaned up and the flange is mostly replaced.

Ju4YOUy.jpg

Edited by UnderControl
  • Like 2

Testing out a new toy. Picked up a hazard fraught bench top blast cabinet and I must say it performs better than expected out of the box. Looks like they have mitigated a lot of the complaints from earlier models. Mods will of course be in order, but for now it does the job, and I think I'll just use the gun and siphon tube from the cabinet for the rest of any blasting I do on the car. Anyway, initial results as follows.

MowXXUf.jpg

Only bothered doing some spot cleaning where I couldn't previously get the wire wheel on the quarter extension but cleaned the whole trunk corner.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Been being pretty lazy this week, so didn't get a whole lot done, but got the quarter extension ready for a test feel and some tweaks to the flange. Fitting in there pretty well.

FEEuHTn.jpg

Also been playing with the blast cabinet on some small parts. Got a bumper bracket and one of the shackle bushing mounts cleaned up and painted.

V5yFw2X.jpg

• Like 2

Spent most of the evening working on the datsun, but had some time to kill before calling it a night. I spent a little time adding a quick connect to the blast cabinet so I didn't have to run the air hose through the whole in the back of the cabinet. Then had to test the mods.

WqnHo57.jpg

The now cleanish one was actually worse to start.

cNlz5l3.jpg

• Like 2

Getting on with some test feels of the quarter extension, trunk corner and new taillight panel. It all seems to be fitting reasonably well, there will be a little trimming in areas I left long and a couple small patches for spots I cut out of the quarter.

Hvm1kgv.jpg

Nk8k2iQ.jpg

Before I get too happy about welding all this in I want to take advantage of the open space to get the rear frame rail legs all situated. I had previously pulled the driver's side shackle mount and now I've pulled and cleaned the same side's tow hook and mount. There were several hidden spot welds which made getting this bastard a treat to get out.

ztaN9jr.jpg

• Like 2

Not really that bad when you know where to look for the spot welds. Still worked up a sweat while also being able to see my breath.

BBOSLMP.jpg

Of course in order to get to the spot welds on the outside of the frame rail I had to cut the lower quarter out, which was gonna have to happen anyway. I did find a fair amount of mud while clearing a spot to make my cut line so did some investigative paint removal and didn't find nearly as much as expected.

28cbrgQ.jpg

Couple low spots, but nothing terrible. 

• Like 2

After getting the inner tubs the rest of the way trimmed up and prepping the frame rail flanges it was time for some more test feels.

bjCg7YH.jpg

This did require removing most of the bracing I had put in, but nothing shifted so woot.

One draw back to these cheap, nonconcourse panels is that they are designed to fit 64-68. While they are close the 67-68s are slightly longer in the lower quaters meaning some trimming is required.

MK7idXQ.jpg

I was able to keep the rear most section of the driver's side lower quarter intact as a reference since I was previously aware of this issue.

• Like 2