• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 11/17/2020 at 8:13 AM, datsunfreak said:

Giving any thought to ditching the leaf springs while you're in there? 😁

Yes, but not really in the cards at the moment. I'm taking cues from the vintage racer community to make this a reasonably well handling 60s pony car, but don't really have the budget to go whole ham on it at this point. Not to mention I've already decided I really don't want to do tubs, and I have intentions on turning the 05 into the proper race car I've been building it towards.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Not a huge amount of progress, but the passenger quarter extension and trunk corner are in. Deck lid went back on and taillight panel clamped in to make sure everything was lining up correctly.

topMesL.jpg

If I were to stick to the proper order of operations the lower quarters should go in next since part of the flange lives under the taillight panel. We'll see if I do that correctly or not.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Slow progress is slow, but trying to get it right the first time so lots of sitting around looking at panels and reference pictures while making lots of minor adjustments. Couple that with taking panels on and off and basically 3 days of work amounts to having lower quarters lightly tacked in and more final fitment testing.

Spent a lot of time sitting here.

PLFLvsb.jpg

LmOB8Ob.jpg

MAlMaUI.jpg

Lower valance on for more testing.

p3kCywr.jpg

Somehow I'm still finding things in the is car.

I5Rbx91.jpg

• Like 3

Rather than spend another week looking at it, I took the plunge and just burned em in.

HZd5ein.jpg

0axUjiJ.jpg

I spent some time after peeling back some paint and getting started on a little body work. Not going to crazy on the body work part since I still have to deal with the wheel arches and tub patches.

• Like 2

Mustang now featuring taillight panel.

4LhZrRL.jpg

And with that, all of the prefab panels I had are in so I started in on making some smaller patches. First of which is filling in a gap where I had to modify the back of the lower quarters for the lower fascia to fit.

PCWRTOZ.jpg

I will have reup on sheet metal before I'll be able to finish the tubs and rear arches, very nearly out of the 48x48 sheet I started this project with.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Been a while since I've posted any updates. I did get around to getting the inner tubs patched to the new trunk pans and stripped some paint and a lot of mud off the passenger side rear wheel arch. Unsurprisingly at this point I found more damage, but since ive planned to replace the arches anyway that isn't the end of the world. No pictures of the car because reasons. I have admittedly been actively avoiding working on it for a couple of weeks since my next spot involves digging lead out of the sail panels.

In the meantime I've been fumbling my way through learning, without instruction, autodesk. That led to my first all in house design/print consisting of a spool and holder. Coupled with some purchased bits and other people's designs I have a dry box for ABS.

5W6OfOg.jpg

Beyond that I also opted, with some suggestion, to pick up a raspberry pi to run the 3d printer. Naturally, that means printing some parts and going overkill on cooling.

l4DlcZ0.jpg

Sure is nice to be able to control and monitor the printer from the comfort of anywhere. Screen grab from my phone while printing the top half of the case and the fan adapter.

AKwBu2g.png

Edited by UnderControl
  • Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

It's still been cold as and I'm still feeling a bit lazy and neck deep in an old video game I never actually finished so I still haven't touched the car, but I'm going to say that this counts as working on it.

DBImYYb.jpg

MaaGR11.jpg

Some nice person out there took the time to design and iterate over  a good looking 6 gauge cluster setup (original was 5) and share the files free on the internet. Based on the size of the bezel I did have to cut down the model into 4 sections to fit my printer, these are a couple of test parts just to make sure everything fit nicely together after.  Final product should end up something like this.

njpS8FP.jpg

Also been tweaking my camera setup for octopi and pretty happy with it now, just have to play around time lapse settings depending on how long the print is.

https://i.imgur.com/n8x59HS.gifv

Edited by UnderControl
  • Like 4
On 2/16/2021 at 11:09 AM, datsunfreak said:

It's days like these I wish I had built a Mustang instead...  😄

That galaxie is dope though. Been eyeing a few as possible trade candidates for the merc when I'm ready to send it along. Granted it's a long list of possible candidates.

Edited by UnderControl
  • Like 1

You ain't kidding. Had to put a radiator in the merc, turns out nobody makes radiators for it. Lucky for me similar vintage tbird rads are close enough, inch or so narrower and the fan shroud clip mount are off, but nothing an angle grinder and some zip ties couldn't handle.

hYwjv3j.jpg

Edited by UnderControl
  • Like 2
On 2/20/2021 at 6:37 AM, UnderControl said:

You ain't kidding. Had to put a radiator in the merc, turns out nobody makes radiators for it. Lucky for me similar vintage tbird rads are close enough, inch or so narrower and the fan shroud clip mount are off, but nothing an angle grinder and some zip ties couldn't handle.

hYwjv3j.jpg

If the radiator frame is still good find a radiator shop and have it re cored

On 2/22/2021 at 11:32 PM, Ooph! said:

If the radiator frame is still good find a radiator shop and have it re cored

I considered this, but $200 difference between a close enough new rad and a re-cored original radiator for a beater just wasn't worth it.

15 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

I'm a big fan of external coolers for the trans.  😁

The mustang will get an external cooler, but the daily isn't getting that effort. Ultimately the mustang will also get a manual so any external cooler will go away anyway.

12 hours ago, ]2eDeYe said:

Ok, I am all caught up. Nice printer. 😄

Super loving having a printer and really considering buying/building another with a larger print area. 3d printers have gotten too cheap not to have at this point. Alledgedly, in my opinion.

Oh yeah, I did actually touch the 66 again. Stripped some lead out of the driver's side sail panel, just to find larger holes than expected.

Vb8F77R.jpg

So, yeah. Got a couple other projects that I think I'm just gonna go ahead and finish before dealing with more rust, because fuck rust, so, yeah nah.

Edited by UnderControl
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

They keep coming out with new models faster than I can keep up. I'm rocking the v2, the extra 80mm x/y of the max would be killer. Kinda been thinking of getting a base 3 to build an extender kit off for a 400x400x450, but part of me says if I want to go bigger I should do a core xy machine. It's a rabbit hole I'm working my way deeper down all the time.

Edited by UnderControl