Idle hands: assorted projects

Plug hole has been repaired.

joa5nlS.jpg

It wasn't a cheap kit, but it is a hell of a lot nicer than a heilicoil.

WsKDcCn.jpg

e6yWfNO.jpg

As much as I hope to never need to do this again, I hope I have an excuse to get more use of the spend.

Also got around to putting some paint on the barrels. I have decided to forego painting the head, if only because I can't be bothered to properly mask it off. 

WCl2ivD.jpg

Put the head through one last buzzy hot bath after the plug hole repair. Valves need the same treatment before the head foes back together.

• Like 2
  • Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kinda looking like an engine again, and really second guessing not having painted the head. With the crank case still being dirty and mostly silver anyway it would probably still look a bit funny.

pYfyk3N.jpg

Not that you can really tell but I did also sand down the edges of the fins on the cylinder section.

• Like 1

Not totally sold on it, and now that it's all bolted back together it would be pretty easy to plug up the holes and give it a spritz but we'll see where I land on that. In the meantime the head is actually bolted down, cam is installed and timed and crusty bolts reapplied to the valve cover.

g1dCZA4.jpg

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, UnderControl said:

If I had more space, or ever got around to doing a purge and organize so I have more space I may invest in bits for zinc plating.

Same. I usually just hit them with a wire wheel, stab them through a piece of cardboard, and paint them satin black. 

Didn't get as much.done as I was hoping tonight. While starting to set valve lash I noticed that the valves weren't opening when they should be. So valve cover came back off for me to find I had set the cam roughly 90 out. Seems I had picked a very different cutout on the cam when setting it the first time. Since the covers were coming off anyway, I've decided I'll put forth very little effort at finding replacement hardware this weekend.

New oil pan seal, oil pressure sender, oil and filter are in. I definitely didn't pour half a quart on the floor before remembering to put the drain plug back in.

xk7xHAi.jpg

Ran it up to temp and got the valves adjusted up. Couple more things to check before getting out for a test ride.

• Haha 2
  • 2 months later...

Been a while since I've done anything post worthy. Test ride ended with same miss I had before, so I let it sit while I did a combination of other things and nothing. Finally got around to testing things. Wiring and coils checked out fine which meant one of a couple of things so I eliminated both in one shot.

tgBW8gV.jpg

Bike is now back to running like a champ.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Back out to the farm this weekend and had some spare time to pick up where I left off getting the old farm truck going again. Ran a few new vacuum limes, fixed a couple of burnt wires and replaced all the plug wires since a couple had been converted to blue tooth. Diluted the decade old gas with some of the fresh stuff and topped it off with some fuel system cleaner then drove it out of the holes it had been digging.

oK2aBKA.jpg

Iov5LDh.jpg

For now she'll be staying on the farm, at least until I can shift something out of the current fleet.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Ok, I'm out of procrastination projects and since it's now right around the 3 year Mark since starting on it I figured it was time to get stuck back into the 66. Opted out of pulling the package tray all together, but had some areas around the rear flange I couldn't let go untouched.

JFYxRK3.jpeg

I have a couple other patches to do under the driver's side corner before I can do the final fit.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

Sorry if it's already been asked (doubly sorry if I already asked), but with all you've replaced on this end of the car, did you ever entertain the notion of a fastback conversion

Yeah, but nah. There has been a fair bit of project creep, but not near enough to properly consider that conversion. If I had to do full quarters and sail/roof panels, maybe. If I were going to wish I had done anything different so far it would be to go ahead and put in mini tubs.

Otherwise the fill panel is welded in, just needs finishing.

YZcQjDN.jpeg

• Like 4
On 11/18/2021 at 8:44 PM, UnderControl said:

If I were going to wish I had done anything different so far it would be to go ahead and put in mini tubs.

Yeah, it's funny how there's more room in the rear tubs of a Galaxie than a Mustang. Seems like the "performance car" would get more space back there...  😁