Idle hands: assorted projects

Not a huge amount of progress, but something is better than nothing. Pedals are out along with choke and steering shaft (now dubbed Vlad the impaler) cover. Got the master cylinder and a few miscellaneous items pulled from the engine bay. Otherwise just some more pondering. Considering it is supposed to be colder than death the next several days that is probably all until the weekend at least.

aBXHGGL.jpg

Edited by UnderControl
  • Like 2
  • Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Continuing the saga of taking things apart so I can start putting it back together, Vlad is gone along with everything else from under the dash.

xXrhcrf.jpg

xvMq4L4.jpg

FUFLGPd.jpg

shZD8No.jpg

This brings me to a point of contention with how these were built.  Both the dash and the cowl are welded in, in fact, they are welded together to make the lower lip of the windshield frame. In other words it is a pain in the ass to get in there to repair these fresh air towers and clean up all of the surface rust on the underside of the dash.

kuR5CcE.jpg

Also went ahead and pulled the front brake lines and distro block out. I have a lot of holes to fill in.

• Like 1

Pan dropped right into place and everything lined up remarkably well. 

nsbSGV2.jpg

Moment of truth.

rXSy1Pi.jpg

fqnxEg7.jpg

XczBIrV.jpg

The pan around the frame rail is so pitted that it is hard to tell where the spot welds are so I'll likely end up grinding it down to remove  it. Once the remainder is out I'll drop the pan back in to recheck my line.

In the process of  cleaning everything  out I came across what appears to be an old polling worker's button.

ipMztLy.jpg

• Like 1

Remainder of the old floor is off the frame rails, pan dropped back in and line verified. Then started test fitting the vert inner rocker.

VrrB0K3.jpg

UeXdUBO.jpg

I've got to cut about 13" off the back and do some tweaks to tie it into the rear torque box. Now the real question is if I want to do subframe connectors through the floor or under.

Edited by UnderControl
  • Like 1

I'm using Seymour PBE.  After playing around with the ground a bit it did get better, but by then I had brushed back most of the edges.  Otherwise no new pictures, but the floor pan and inner rocker are all stitched in.  I've got a couple of pin holes to go back and fill in and then I can move on to the passenger side.

OK, I'm going to rescind my previous about the weld thru primer.  I had a couple small flanges to weld in tonight and I prepped them in the same manor as before.  Using the now known good ground spot and they welded in just fine.  At worst this primer makes it more susceptible to poor grounding, but as long as you remember welding 101 and maintain a solid ground it is fine.

In other news I got the rough cut done on the passenger side.

UDvzHut.jpg 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Took a week off because cold and RE2 remake, but back at it. Got everything pretty well cleaned back to bare metal.

wrECMbP.jpg

Tomorrow I should be able to get the inner rocker cut down and get the final cut done on the old floor pan. Hoping to start getting it welded in by the weekend.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well after one week of laziness induced minimal progress, and another week of sinus infection induced zero progress I actually managed to get something done.

the first torque box is in. There was a fair bit more work to get the two pieces to fit properly compared to the floor pans.  Still need to box in the inner rocker.

Isw9j3f.jpg

Then today I came to the conclusion I may have a problem when this followed me home from lunch.

x0vXgVK.jpg

• Like 2