Idle hands: assorted projects

So I've got the blaster feeding a little better, but still not quite there. When it does work it's nice.

0eKYjtK.jpg

This should be the last time I have to drive across town to get steel since the cheap option in town will be opening a much closer location next month.

TyQ1WrI.jpg

First panel made with the bead roller and shrinker is mostly ready. Another light pass on the shrinker should have the arch right.

LqX1pMi.jpg

Sev7kPm.jpg

ez8TW5y.jpg

The break for this piece was mostly done on the roller with just a light pass with a hammer in the vise to finish and then 3ish passes on the shrinker to get it to follow the curve of the firewall. I'll bee replacing the entire flange on the firewall and will likely save the final edge finishing until the cowl goes back on.

• Like 2
  • Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First panel is burned in and the other two cut out. 

tFgpEt5.jpg

dSnJBFN.jpg

Tested out a new toy by cutting the two new blanks. This is likely the cheapest electric shear on Amazon.

Ly0ldJe.jpg

I'm running this at its maximum capacity and it worked as it should. Only slight tweaking of the starting corners, otherwise clean cuts. So much nicer than using the grinder.

xxNieve.jpg

• Like 1

Saga continues and I must say I'm fairly impressed with the HF shrinker.

JzQLHBE.jpg

These are the remaining two flange sections for the firewall. The one is ready for final trimming, the other one I started shrinking and then I broke the small wood screw I have been using as the pivot for the foot pedal on the shrinker. I don't have any lag screws in stock so I'll deal with that tomorrow. In the meantime I've clamped the finished part in to check fit and mark for trimming.

I8azuYD.jpg

UG076ni.jpg

xJhMtwc.jpg

• Like 1

Finished burning in the flange and welded up a few small original holes that will no longer be needed.

0f1LilI.jpg

LXgtXVN.jpg

Threw the top section of the cowl back on to check the fit with what is left of it's flange and everything checked out.  Probably get back to trying to get the nooks and crannies blasted before moving on to the lower cowl section since once that's in I won't have this kind of access anymore.

• Like 1

Didn't get quite as much done as I had hoped, but figured before busting out the blaster again I'd spend some time filling holes I won't be needing anymore.

Z4uGcuF.jpg

Blower motor, heater hose and a couple other misc holes are filled in. Still have a few more to go.  I also made a panel not pictured for where the a pillar meets the cowl panels.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The invisible nature of this part is kinda bitter sweet for me. On the one hand this is some of the best fabrication I've done, on the other hand I don't have to go crazy trying to make things perfect.

LPXXg9R.jpg

These little peck marks from the pointy end of the teardrop are an example of things I don't have to worry about.

N3rHRGz.jpg

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

Upper cowl stripped of paint and as much rust as I can get to with the wheels on the grinder and flanges have been roughly removed. Upper cowl should be much easier since I just have to make simple flanges and block offs for the vents.

IgSGMG3.jpg

Peak at things to come next week. It's about time to get the bike ready for spring.

hqZ0EnX.jpg

Still waiting on the new exhaust to show up.

Edited by UnderControl
  • Like 1

Carb rebuild day for the bike. Started strong just draining the bowls.

iWrj0wL.jpg

Stripped down and a basic carb cleaner wire brush clean up. The carb bodies really weren't too bad, they had been cleaned a little before I bought it, but the emulsion tubes were full of shit.

vzYVPRS.jpg

ibald2L.jpg

Other than setting the idle mixture screws they're ready to go back on the bike.

UROPq4e.jpg

• Like 1

Maintenance/inspection day for the new beater.  I think these have been in for a minute.

ut9ciD1.jpg

This somehow didn't turn into a nightmare. Some how the threads in the pan were unscathed.

FcN2qWd.jpg

I guess I'll mention that this isn't a project car, strictly a maintenance mobile...I say this mostly for my own benefit as I'm trying to convince myself not to put an intake and carb on it.

• Haha 2
16 hours ago, UnderControl said:

I guess I'll mention that this isn't a project car, strictly a maintenance mobile...I say this mostly for my own benefit 

Starting to wonder if subconsciously this is why I keep buying projects that don't run...

Much easier to talk yourself into a bunch of crazy shit if it arrives in pieces on a tow truck...

• Like 2