Idle hands: assorted projects

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got a few days until the replacement fork c clip shows up so taking a little extra time cleaning stuff up. Instead of just replacing the seal on the caliper I gave it a proper clean and paint.

7ePmvi0.jpg

Getting started on my bike rice with a mini chop and and dechroming of the front fender. Rear will be getting the same treatment and both will finished in satin black.

ipIyjSO.jpg

• Like 2

Back on the ground and together.

NGUKYTA.jpg

EA7ErCe.jpg

QRmS0lZ.jpg

Just need to put oil in it, hook the fuel lines up and bleed the front brake and probably remove one of the baffles from the muffler. Rear fender is chopped to be flush with the bottom of the plate. Weather looks pretty meh for the next few days so likely wont get to ride until next week, but looking forward seeing how it runs and sounds.

Edited by UnderControl
  • Like 3

I've gotten the bike out for a couple quick test rides. Runs pretty well, but definitely gonna need to do a proper sync on the carbs. New exhaust is louder than expected with both baffles, it has a deeper tone and kinda sounds like like a scooby. Neighbor was pressure washing when I got bad so no terrible cell phone audio of the new pipes. Plugs look just about right compared to the lean look of last season's.

hEqlfgf.jpg

dY2vkN1.jpg

Pics for no real reason.

• Like 2

I've opted to start on the side flanges before doing anymore with that large front one. This largely due to it being considerably easier to pop a fender on to check for fit than the hood.

Iyyi9R3.jpg

First side started.

DnTWsZj.jpg

I didn't really feel like pulling the bead roller out of the big vice, and don't really have a good spot to permanently mount the old small vice, so I got a bit creative.

9U7tYBg.jpg

Added bonus that I didn't have to keep walking back and forth to the bench to grind a little more off.

• Like 3

So, I patted myself on the back a bit early, turns out due to some mistakes the upper cowl is pretty fucked. While I contemplate my life choices I opted to turn my attention to another project I've been thinking about for a while.

dlzzPlw.jpg

I've been wanting a belt sander for a while and since I keep not buying the reasonably priced used belt/disc sanders when they pop up locally I decided to see if I can come up with a decent solution out of some salvaged parts and scrap.

• Like 1

A little less doom and gloom about the cowl today. Researched some shrinking techniques and tried it out a bit and have the cowl mostly fitting again. It does mean that there will be a lot more body work than I was hoping for, but should be salvageable.

Otherwise spent the rest of the night giving the dremel a hot supper boring this large nut out to accept this bearing for the drive pulley for the sander.

MI9aI9O.jpg

• Like 1

Motor mount and tensioner setup are in.

VNoEhoG.jpg

plWyrSn.jpg

Gonna have to figure out something for the drive pulley in my test the belt was just slipping. I was hoping since the washing machine's pulley was smooth this would work, but not so.

GHwfwt8.jpg

I tried this piece of rubber with a couple laps of elecchickens tape, and it worked for a moment before ripping the tape off.

Belt sander, now with 100% more belt.

pzLeY5I.jpg

Tensioner is super simple and I definitely didn't weld the upper angle to the wrong side at first.

F11HH8F.jpg

Tracking adjustment took a little more figuring.

jyFYW6z.jpg

t7LTyCW.jpg

Still gonna need a table, a platten, and some way of actually securing the rotaty bit, not to mention getting the electrical to something nicer/safer than the bench test setup I've been using. I did give it a little test spin and it actually worked.

• Like 3