Ant-dat

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

you get the new upgrade bushing for the trailing arms?

I have a vibration isse with my 510 since i had it going up hill under load it vibrates and I just cant figure it out. Its the traikling arms bushing or maybe the Mustache bar bushings.

ANYBODY?????????????have a idea????

Make sure those brake lines are good!!!!!

Edited by banzai510(hainz)

Z car 'snowflakes'? One of my favorite rims, the 720 truck has an identical alloy rim but 6 bolt. Seen these rims on 510s but don't remember there being a problem. How large a tire are you using? You might voice your concerns over at ... http://www.the510realm.com/  ... someone

Will the car be lowered much? The rears tend toward negative camber when lowered, wider rubber clears the fender arches but car looks terrible and probably handles worse. The rear cross member can be slotted to raise the mounting points on the control arms. How large a tire are you using?

14 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

you get the new upgrade bushing for the trailing arms?

I have a vibration isse with my 510 since i had it going up hill under load it vibrates and I just cant figure it out. Its the traikling arms bushing or maybe the Mustache bar bushings.

ANYBODY?????????????have a idea????

Under load? likely one of the U joints.

15 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

Make sure those brake lines are good!!!!!

The voice of experience.

Replaced all the bushes and have camber and toe adjustment.

Tyres are 185/60, Once i get the new king springs (30mm lowered and uprated)  fitted i suspect it may just be adjustment needing done or hope 🙂 lol

I have yet to find new flexi pipes but my local place is closed due to COVID-19. 

I still need to finish making the metal pipes but i have a little concern on the rear cylinder. I can see it slides so does the metal pipe slide with it?

Tried swapping wheels round incase it's a weak tyre?

Edited by Ant-dat

^^ on the wheels, they have a low offset, like a +10mm, With your camber and toe adjusted to the proper settings, they will rub.  Those would generally “fit” when the car is lowered without adjusting camber, by the nature of the stock suspension.  Although I never tried a 175/60/14 tire or 185/55 tire in the back, to see if it rubs with a proper alignment.  If the offset was closer to a +15mm, they maybe could fit. Maybe... there are others on here who have tried more combos than myself.

7 hours ago, rusty12ver said:

^^ on the wheels, they have a low offset, like a +10mm, With your camber and toe adjusted to the proper settings, they will rub.  Those would generally “fit” when the car is lowered without adjusting camber, by the nature of the stock suspension.  Although I never tried a 175/60/14 tire or 185/55 tire in the back, to see if it rubs with a proper alignment.  If the offset was closer to a +15mm, they maybe could fit. Maybe... there are others on here who have tried more combos than myself.

Thanks, I thought this maybe the case. It's not catching by much at the moment so i maybe able to trim back the lip to gain clearance. but best wait till i have teh springs and fitted to see as it may site a bit higher and reduce the issue even more.

5 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

Be honest that is a nice color car

always love that 510 color

think  a 15 inch rim would look better

Rota OS Mesh is a cheap nice looking wheel,cheap

ne honest the stock hubcaps look good also

the 1969 ones then you don’t have to worry about figment.

I was going to change the colour to datsun orange but decided to keep original.

I was going to go daft with modifying(sr20, coil overs etc)  but as UK registered 510's are very rare in the UK (probably a handful left) I'm trying to keep the car original with period modification or close too. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/15/2020 at 12:33 PM, Ant-dat said:

Replaced all the bushes and have camber and toe adjustment.

Tyres are 185/60, Once i get the new king springs (30mm lowered and uprated)  fitted i suspect it may just be adjustment needing done or hope 🙂 lol

I have yet to find new flexi pipes but my local place is closed due to COVID-19. 

I still need to finish making the metal pipes but i have a little concern on the rear cylinder. I can see it slides so does the metal pipe slide with it?

Tried swapping wheels round incase it's a weak tyre?

Here are 195/60-14 tires on my '72 wagon with no rubbing. Have 2" lowering blocks on the back too. The track width might be different on a wagon - not sure of the specs.

48993659302_491cabce71_o.jpg

49688445421_666bc2c345_o.jpg

• 2 months later...

Wagon looks differnt, Looks little narrower.

Have it sorted though. Got a set of king springs from Australia. It's sitting a little higher but should be fine 🙂

somehow i managed to missplace one of the bearings from the steering box and cant get a replacement anywhere (yet) 😞

Edited by Ant-dat
On 6/9/2020 at 11:20 PM, rosso said:

Here are 195/60-14 tires on my '72 wagon with no rubbing. Have 2" lowering blocks on the back too. The track width might be different on a wagon - not sure of the specs.

48993659302_491cabce71_o.jpg

49688445421_666bc2c345_o.jpg

The wagon track is 5mm or 0.197" (about 3/16") wider than the sedan, (1/2 that per side) but you also have zx? rims which may affect this. Always liked those rims.

Yes, they are ZX wheels (6-spoke, painted bronze) and are cast with  6-JJX14-10 so I am presuming that is a positive 10mm offset.

With my 195/60- tires there is plenty of room at the rear (even with 205/50 racing slicks they cleared at the rear.)

I do have 280ZX struts on the front, which apparently move the wheel in compared to the 510 struts. But my clearance is also fine and the "poke" looks just about perfect for my taste. Any more positive wheel offset would cause rubbing on the strut.

IMG_0160.thumb.JPG.eaeb3c04ab6010373ef382959bb493bc.JPG

7 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The wagon track is 5mm or 0.197" (about 3/16") wider than the sedan, (1/2 that per side) but you also have zx? rims which may affect this. Always liked those rims.

Thanks Mike, I like the wheels too, And I got them at Powereland last year for $100.

• Like 1