Rare 720 dash option?

Lockleaf

I was at the junk yard yesterday and found this molded factory fitted "pod" under the the left side of the dash board. Fitted in to it was a rear window defroster switch, with a wiring harness that clipped into the factory harness under the dash. Every 720 I've checked since then has the holes fit this pod to be mounted molded in the dash. I haven't checked for a loose wiring plug. Is this a rare option, less common, or pretty common and I just didn't know about it? I bought it regardless because I thought it was cool.

20150109_194833_zpsef523262.jpg20150107_113939_zps456afc62.jpg

20150109_194744_zpse9ffe883.jpg

20150109_194822_zpsae4da640.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as i know The rear window defroster was an option.  Not sure might have been in the early 720 years added under the dash as pictured my 86 has a place in the lower part of the dash for it and I think fog light switch.

I hope datzenmike might be able to fill in the blanks.

When you take these pictures you might include a picture of the drivers door jamb tag that shows date of manufacture.

I will try to get some interior pictures of my 86 this weekend.

My buddy just bought a 1980 with this as well. I wish mine had it. I personally have seen this only twice in my last year of being a Datsun guy. Both were 2wd 1980s with all the bells and whistles: 5 speeds, A/Cs, King Cabs, this rear defrost guy, and blue interiors. Isn't it Ironic, dont you think? Here's a photo I took of my friends.

imagejpg1_zps2aa8931d.jpg

As far as i know The rear window defroster was an option.  Not sure might have been in the early 720 years added under the dash as pictured my 86 has a place in the lower part of the dash for it and I think fog light switch.

I hope datzenmike might be able to fill in the blanks.

When you take these pictures you might include a picture of the drivers door jamb tag that shows date of manufacture.

I will try to get some interior pictures of my 86 this weekend.

20150107_113939_zps456afc62.jpg

It's an '80 to Oct '82 dash so it's an 'early'. The rear defogger is an option for you and in Canada I've never seen one without it.

• Like 1

Yeah it was an early 82 manufacture. The rear window was shattered out of it, but the defroster tag was still hanging there. Thanks for the info DM, that's good to know. If I want another, contact a Canadian.

• Like 1

My 80kc has defroster like above 'loaded' trucks(no tilt pw steering)......but in black. Even if u don't smell exhaust fumes....I'll wager a cold Pepsi 95% of the rear sliders out there  let noxious gasses in. Most rear sliders leak or WILL leak in the future. From where I sit......rear sliders BAD idea. Have one if any takers....FREE if u pick up!

My 80kc has defroster like above 'loaded' trucks(no tilt pw steering)......but in black. Even if u don't smell exhaust fumes....I'll wager a cold Pepsi 95% of the rear sliders out there  let noxious gasses in. Most rear sliders leak or WILL leak in the future. From where I sit......rear sliders BAD idea. Have one if any takers....FREE if u pick up!

If your truck is in the proper state of repair,I'll take that bet and you'll lose

maybe in dry climate like arizona they (rear sliders) don't leak but in the Willamette valley in Oregon it will eventually.

If your truck is in the proper state of repair,I'll take that bet and you'll lose

Did they actually make a slider @ nissan? all the ones ive seen are dealer/owner installed aftermarket. MAYBE an actual nissan slider would be satisfactory. Carbon monoxide is odorless don't forget!!

Rear slider from Nov '82 on as an option. I don't think it will fit the earlier trucks.

The cab would have to have negative pressure compared to the other side of the rear window. On a truck with a good exhaust system and the tailgate up I wouldn't worry about it one bit. I drive a station wagon 710 and the exhaust pipe is inches away from the tailgate, and I doubt the seal is that good.

You would have to leave your tailgate down, or have a hole in the exhaust between cab and box or a hole in the floor (even more likely)  and have a hell of a big hole to let in enough to have any effect. If sleeping in the truck in a snow bank engine running... maybe. If driving you would stop for aspirin for your headache.

People drive with the slider open all summer and there is no problems reported. YES CO is insidious.

• Like 1

There are 10s of thousands of people with dogs that leave the slider open so the dog can get it's head in the cab, if this fumes getting into the cab issue was a real problem, there would be commercials and warnings about driving with the slider open.

You will get more fumes/noxious gasses in the cab from having your door window down in traffic, than you could ever get in the cab with the slider open, although I would never drive around myself with the door window closed and the slider open.

• Like 1

You will get more fumes/noxious gasses in the cab from having those little blue air filters on your valve cover vent hoses.

Come on now, I did not say that, I choose my words carefully when I say what I say, and I did not say that, I don't edit others posts, and I expect the same courtesy from others.

When I quote,  I also quote everything, I don't edit quotes.

Sure, an engine with the hoses routed incorrectly can expel fumes into the engine compartment, and with all the holes in the firewall of these old trucks, one can get gasses, fumes, water, oil, and all sorts of unwanted odors into the cab, that is why before they started venting the valve cover into the airfliter, the vent hose exited below the frame rail.

I am not a big fan of edited quotes, please leave me out of them shenanigans.

• Like 1

Come on now wayno, you and I both know and understand this to be humorous as well as used by many at ratsun. Your post just above is untouched entire and complete. However if you feel slighted somehow by this innocent jest I apologize and will refrain from having fun with you in the future..

• Like 1

I've seen it in a few junk yard trucks around here. I'd rather have a rear slider than a rear defroster.

I also like the sliders, it sure feels good when it is hot out and you open the slider and door window and then have a lot of air rushing threw the cab.

I don't use my slider much. The cool breeze I get is also filled with exhaust fumes that make me slowly die and cough. Yeah I got some exhaust leaks back there...

Rear slider from Nov '82 on as an option. I don't think it will fit the earlier trucks.

The cab would have to have negative pressure compared to the other side of the rear window. On a truck with a good exhaust system and the tailgate up I wouldn't worry about it one bit. I drive a station wagon 710 and the exhaust pipe is inches away from the tailgate, and I doubt the seal is that good.

You would have to leave your tailgate down, or have a hole in the exhaust between cab and box or a hole in the floor (even more likely)  and have a hell of a big hole to let in enough to have any effect. If sleeping in the truck in a snow bank engine running... maybe. If driving you would stop for aspirin for your headache.

People drive with the slider open all summer and there is no problems reported. YES CO is insidious.

I have the fumes driving in town, especially sitting at a stop light, but I also have no tailpipe! It fell off right after the big barrel of a Midas muffler. But on the highway no fumes. I plan on replacing the entire exhaust in the spring from the catalytic convertor back, including a brand new high flow 2.25" convertor I got for $20 off a friend, and a turbo muffler, and route it all out the back, so fumes should no longer be an issue.  I have no idea if it were stock, a dealer option, aftermarket, or what. No water leaks either. I still love my sliding window and would much rather have it than a solid one, especially since I have no AC!

SSPX0004-6.jpg

I re-routed my exhaust system after installing headers and added a 40 series flowmaster. My tail pipe comes out right between my left taillight and my license plate('81) so it won't get crunched flat or torn off while wheeling... only mistake was having a bolt in test section made for the cat, should have just had the cat welded in line... it can leak into the cab even with the windows up and slider closed, when stopped... when the slider is open, I only have problems at a stop as well, not ever while in motion....

N while CO is odorless, exhaust fumes are not.... kinda silly thinking you won't smell it.

I quite like my slider too, saves my bacon in the hot desert summer days.

• Like 1