Decrease the value of your Datsun with these simple steps...

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What does everyone got against painting the engine compartment black like an old musclecar? I think it looks good, puts all your focus onto the engine. I was actually going to do that to mine soon, if only just temporarily. Gloss black hides flaws well. Plus it looks a lot better than the peeling paint and rust I have going on now!

• Like 2

Oh no, I can't do that! I've seen it done though! I have seen somebody attack the ENTIRE engine compartment with black rattle cans too, engine included. I have seen everything painted silver, red, or yellow as well. Why I will never know?

And I am going to add something speaking of engine compartments...

Put colored wire loom on every hose, wire, vacuum line, battery cables, and anything else it will fit on, especially red so it looks like you ran over a 100lb box of Twizzlers!

Paint lots of random stuff loud colors under the hood

Paint lots of stuff loud colors in the interior too

Lots of Rainbow finished  metal for that fake titanium look

Lots of fake (or real) carbon fiber

Stick on port holes and vents

Big, colorful plastic dual bladed wipers, extra points if chrome!

Put these Japanese driver stickers on it, not knowing or caring what they mean because JDM yo!

IMG_1239.jpg

• Like 1
Put these Japanese driver stickers on it, not knowing or caring what they mean because JDM yo!

IMG_1239.jpg

Just curious... does this still apply if you know what it means, and put them on accordingly? such as a driver that has only gotten his License getting with no extra training the beginner license decal, and people with more training gets a different one? just curiosity. cause i have a buddy that has gone through a more than a few racing training courses and other driving aid courses that has a "Experienced Driver" Magnet on his RX-7.

The intent I got from this thread was for us to have some satirical fun listing all the things we've seen and done ourselves to the quickly diminishing & dying herd of remaining Datsuns. Things we've done that lessens, cripples, or amputates these vehicles future possibilities for in our lifetime owners, or for future owners. Things many of us have done in caffeinated haste or drunken stupor, only to regret Down the road like a bad tatoo.

We all love and understand the need for down & dirty all-American ingenuity, especially on a budget,, and we all fight to the death for each other's freedom to build and create the biggest, fastest, loudest, & Gaudyiest machine on the planet! I didn't get this thread was meant for us all to attack and defend each other's styles and intents. Although it wasn't stated out right, it appears the general intent is about educating ourselves about construction, and from each other, and about conservation, so we have vehicles and parts to play with in the future, vs killing off all the buffalo in our own excitement...if you catch my drift.

As the Internet & ratsun WTB ads show, Dat vehicles & parts are in demand and are increasingly harder and harder to find. This drives vehicle and parts availability down quicky, and prices up even faster. Yet the vehicles I typically see in the junk yards are not nice orig ones that simly died, loaded with orig straight body parts, trim, & interior goody parts to provide ours Dats lush & alive. These are the hacked, the butchered, and the radically altered that these Dat owners couldn't resell because thie market for these is so much smaller. Most new project Dat fans just don't have the unlimited time, money, or shop space to invest in reincarnating vehicles from a frame-up that have gone so far down the alteration rabbit hole. So these vehicle survive just lanother 30-60 days before being scrapped. Another one gone forever. Every time we buy a donor and can't make it run again when we salvage what we want from it... Many get completely parted out, but most get scrapped. Another off to the American scrapper, then overseas to the Japanese Auschwitch metal furnaces to make Yugos or something. Man down! Let's not Make Dats like the buffalo.

Insomniatic ramble complete. My apologies.

• Like 4

The best one is drilling holes in the fucking fenders to install shitty aftermarket $20 fender mirrors- lmao

If you're going to hack your car or truck to do this, at least have the decency to buy the real ones.

I'm happy to say I've committed none of these sins, but I was dumb enough to buy a few datsuns that had some of these things done to them. Lol

Just curious... does this still apply if you know what it means, and put them on accordingly? such as a driver that has only gotten his License getting with no extra training the beginner license decal, and people with more training gets a different one? just curiosity. cause i have a buddy that has gone through a more than a few racing training courses and other driving aid courses that has a "Experienced Driver" Magnet on his RX-7.

That is the "ricer" problem with them. The green and yellow shield means inexperienced driver, as in just got my  license. The other one is elderly driver.

Here is a video of a Japanese guy talking about them.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1523120381300719&set=o.763197070372887&type=2&theater

• Like 1

That makes no sense. I do own a house, which is why I WANT lower property taxes.

Naturally. Everybody want to pay less property tax. This is nothing new and a given.... However your property is assessed on sales of similar properties in the surrounding area and yours are set accordingly. You have no say in this or we would all be paying zero. You can complain and have it re assessed but double edge here... it might actually go up. 

• Like 1

OK.... I find coil overs are over hyped over priced bling. In some cases a brand name coil over might add some monetary value to a vehicle, but not what you paid for them, but lowering the ride by coil overs or split collars are intrinsically the same value.  The $300+ saved could be used for something more worthwhile.

For example you have a 510 with a solid gold oil pan and want $20K for the car. The buyer concludes the car is really only worth $7K and he's paying too much for just another oil pan.  

If you're just going for looks I would agree. 

I think there are two ways you can look at it though, people who want to put on equipment that could hold up to track abuse (usually done prematurely as many of these projects never make it to significant track time) and people who want to increase the value of their car. I'm guilty of doing lots of things to my car (camber plates, traction bars, overly aggressive shocks and springs, and a 10:1 compression motor being choked by a pair of SUs) because I want it to go fast on the autocross/track and "be streetable", that don't really lend the car to being a completely thought out piece. 

My project is still titled as an "autocross" car, but I've only seen two autocrosses this whole year. Still dreaming of those track days though. 

• Like 2