Crazy idea...but is it possible?

Yeah, don't let guys razzing you bother you, when I get to know you a little better, I will too, it's just how we communicate.

About the pump though, your issue is low pressure pumps vs high pressure. In example, I have one of those big stihl backpack leaf blowers, it blows out 712 cfm of air, but no real pressure to speak of, as in, if

I put my hand over the end of it, I can stop any air from leaving it and it will not gain pressure because I blocked it. Now, 700 plus cfm is is enough to run a pretty darn healthy v8 to a pretty high rpm, but....if I were to plum the leaf blower to it, very little if any power would be gained. It might make a very slight increase, like a ram air induction on some cars, but in reality, you're going to get about the same effect if you just took off the air cleaner. In other words, the air coming from the leaf blower is still at the 14.7 pounds (roughly) that I mentioned earlier, to get some real power, or even a noticeable increase, you really need a pump that will go higher than the 14.7 pounds around it when it's given restriction. Not only does it have to give air to your engine, it also has to give that air with pressure to force feed the engine more than 14.7.

And engine is nothing more than an air pump itself. The more air you can cram in it, the more power it makes. The cram part is what you will be lacking with a low pressure pump. Sort of like you can get your girl to stand in front of the engine and flap a cookie sheet, more air will be around the engine, but none of it will be under pressure, unless you piss her off enough, then maybe.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A little research/knowledge would tell you that this is better addressed as a thought experiment, like on a forum, and not jumped into as mechanical one. At least not until the thought experiment has addressed a few problems first. Criticism is a good thing. It prevents us trying to visit the moon by walking there. Excellent ideas come from criticism so don't get hurt.... they are trying to help, in a round about way.

I think more research on real world belt driven positive displacement SCs and some thought about scaling up such a tiny low volume / low pressure pump by increasing the speed 7-8 times... instead of asking if possible right off would have prevented 3 pages of hurt.

Im going to school for mine. I have a few already. 

If the rat in ratsun means what I think it means (rat rod) then Im doing the right thing by using something outside of the box. I grew up in a family of grease monkeys. They all owned rats. A quote from my grandfather

"if you buy a kit or some part that bolts straight on or it doesn't take much work to, you're doing it wrong."

Thnaks by the way smoke

and z-train… not a snowballs chance in hell

You can still bolt ups with custom stuff around it. Hell most Ramrods are bolt ups with quote un quote patina'ed witch back in the day just looked like shit period. But I get what your saying and hats off to you. Shit prove the haters wrong get it going and post some results.

Think you should do as suggested and just buy a cheap ass junkyard turbo.. if you don't wanna "turbo" and for some reason  you want a "ratrod" super charger ,, weld a frickin shaft onto it and put a damn pulley on it..

But just to clear up any misunderstandings,,  ratrodders do ,, hondatech guys argue if it will work. 

• Like 1

Thing it I don't want a computer on my car. If I did I would have switched to an sr20. To much to go wrong and I don't like them. So putting a turbo on is not an option for me. And since I do live in silicon valley all the junk yard turbos around here have torched bearings. I don't know what I'm going to do right now. I have a lot of rust and frame straightening to deal with.

Thing it I don't want a computer on my car. If I did I would have switched to an sr20. To much to go wrong and I don't like them. So putting a turbo on is not an option for me. And since I do live in silicon valley all the junk yard turbos around here have torched bearings. I don't know what I'm going to do right now. I have a lot of rust and frame straightening to deal with.

Computer not needed with turbo.

Living in silicon valley does not torch turbo bearings.

Research on turbo concept and real world applications would have prevented 4 pages.

• Like 2

Do you mean that they ruin the turbochargers on purpose before they put them out in the wrecking yards for parts?

• Like 1

There is a 240z with a 4.3L Chevy V6 that has a 7.3L diesel Turbo on it and it made about 400HP of course they blew it up a couple of times haha but it still worked. Those turbos aren't that expensive.

As far as putting a belt on a turbo charger wouldn't that be hard on the bearings since a belt will put a sideways pressure on it.. And it wouldn't normally have that.

What I mean is that around here people blow their engines to hell. Most people that have turbos around here drag race on this one street Called Bailey. I can go drive that road and fine 10 turbos left on the side. The junkyard is filled with cars that lost control or blow up. The bearings on them have shards of Pistons in them.

I'm just saying I don't want my engine to lean out at the high end. Im thinking about a nos system. I have been keeping an eye out for a think a z22 ( correct me if I'm wrong) crank. Pluse turbos aren't always online. I want constant power that's why I lean more towards a sc

Well, that and a turbo spins a buzzillion rpms.

No, nothing I have a turbo on has any form of a computer and all have carbs, all are blow through, not draw through, all of it have many, many miles on them, street driven, very mild mannered until you don't want it to be, run as smooth as stock with triple (yes triple in some cases) the power. It's not difficult, it's just knowing what works and what will not.

Many, MANY folks think that turbos are for computer cars, but in reality, they have been in use since the late 1800s and actually got a patten in 1905. No need for anything fancy to go fast or have more power.

• Like 2
What I mean is that around here people blow their engines to hell. Most people that have turbos around here drag race on this one street Called Bailey. I can go drive that road and fine 10 turbos left on the side. The junkyard is filled with cars that lost control or blow up. The bearings on them have shards of Pistons in them.

I'm just saying I don't want my engine to lean out at the high end. Im thinking about a nos system. I have been keeping an eye out for a think a z22 ( correct me if I'm wrong) crank. Pluse turbos aren't always online. I want constant power that's why I lean more towards a sc[/quote

okay, im not going to force a turbo thing on you, but I must say, you have been so ill informed about them, how the work, what kind of power they put out and when, you don't lean out on top end if you know how to tune. Actually, the list of incorrectness about turbos in this is way out there man. If you want, I can help you be informed, but you have to shut the door on all that bullshit you just said.

• Like 6

So have I.I fisrt picked up a wrench in 1966 when I was 7.THere's an old saying that there is no substitute for cubic inches.Well,there is-It's called technology. My 3.1 Z car is faster than the 427 Cobra I had.Learn it now while you're young-it'll be easier.