SWDP saves a 320...

That A pillar is really gone.:eek: I can't wait to see your magic on that area. Super nice work so far.

Thank you datrod, I'm saving the pillar for last, So I can get some practice in first. Guy.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you get another windshied gasket for that thing? If so from what I've seen so far I don't think you'll have a problem fixing that pillar.

I have a Z car that's in need of some sheet metal work. hint/hint :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Awesome work Guy! I know so little about this level of repair. Are you making cardboard cutouts as templates for these puzzle pieces?

Keep up the good work!

Sweet!! Thanks!!

Thanks Mike, I put up alot of photos and not much typing. I know with your mind, you can read my photos very well. For me, looking at photos, gives me a whole lot of imformation which is very helpful. Guy.

I've kinda started doing the same thing with some of my pic threads. I don't spend as much time typing. I figure the guys that are like minded, will see what they need or ask. A lot of it is simply seeing that it's possible.

Keep up the great work!!

Awesome work Guy! I know so little about this level of repair. Are you making cardboard cutouts as templates for these puzzle pieces?

Keep up the good work!

No cardboard cutouts or templates, If i removed the whole rusted area at once, I would be lost. So i remove a little section at a time, just a few square inches. I shape a small piece to fit in that area and tack it in. I cut a piece 1/4" bigger then that area, put it in place and draw a line on it and make the first bend there. Put it back in place to test fit it, After i make it fit that section, I draw another line on it for the second bend and bend it there, And test fit it again and so on. If you make a piece the same size as your opening and then bend and shape it, It will be smaller then the opening and not fit right. Thats why i make it 1/4" bigger on all sides. Once i get it to fit right, Then i trim off the outside edges to fit the area right and tack it in. Hope this give you a idea how i do it. Thanks, Guy.

• 3 weeks later...

Guy,

Have you tried Norton flap discs? They are awesome for weld grinding/sanding, and you can get them from 24 to 180 grits. They're both super fast and gentle, it just depends on how you apply pressure. Of course they won't get into tight spaces, but for anything on a flat panel or corner they're great.

LOL!! I can't help but chuckle everytime I see you piece more of this together!!!! I think about how many dato's have been scrapped because they were complete basket cases.......and they had less rust then this one!!!

As usual....Awesome work Guy!!! Thanks for all the pics!!!!! You keep posting pics....I'll keep thanking you for them!!! :) You are proving that guys don't have to have access to replacement panels to save a rig!! So sweet!!! :)

Guy,

Have you tried Norton flap discs? They are awesome for weld grinding/sanding, and you can get them from 24 to 180 grits. They're both super fast and gentle, it just depends on how you apply pressure. Of course they won't get into tight spaces, but for anything on a flat panel or corner they're great.

Matt, Have not used flap discs. Most of the areas I've done so far I think are to small. But i'm learning all the time. I would like to try them. Thanks, Guy.

LOL!! I can't help but chuckle everytime I see you piece more of this together!!!! I think about how many dato's have been scrapped because they were complete basket cases.......and they had less rust then this one!!!

As usual....Awesome work Guy!!! Thanks for all the pics!!!!! You keep posting pics....I'll keep thanking you for them!!! :) You are proving that guys don't have to have access to replacement panels to save a rig!! So sweet!!! :)

Mike, I've put in my mind that I need to do this truck. I hope it lasts another 45 years. To be honest with you, I have never done this type of work on a truck before. I know how to use tools, and I have a good eye. I work on the truck 3 days a month, So I have alot of time to think about the steps first. I want to thank you and everybody else for the positive comments. It motivates me and keeps me focused on doing a good job. Guy.

You're more than welcome! Thanks for giving up hope that the problem areas of our rigs are fixable!!

You'd probably love the flap discs, but your grinding is really smooth already. I will say that the HF ones for $3-4 aren't worth it. The $6-7 ones last a lot longer! I had a hard time coughing up that much for the discs, but there are certain times when they are just what's needed.

• 2 months later...