SWDP saves a 320...

Awesome work ... this is making me really wanting to make sure my 320 comes out right. Its just mine come all together so that makes mine a bit easier to put back together. In other words SWEET TRUCK :thumbsup:

Thanks 6l320datsun3. It's alot of work, But trying to do our best to do it right. Guy.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the settings Guy!!! I printed the pics and they'll go in the shop. I'l be doing something similar to Mend shortly :)

What are you guys grinding it down with?

Awesome work!! It's so inspiring to see something where nothing was!!! I'm sure I'm not the only one that appreciates all the pics. Gives a great idea of how to do it ourselves. Makes more guys believe that it's "do-able".....so maybe they won't scrap the next rig that has some rust. I scrapped a '68 wgn because I didn't have the tools at the time. Sure would like to have it now :)

Simply amazing Guy. It is sad to admit, but think I would have left her to be reclaimed by the weeds had I seen that much cancer. You are a hero.

I am voting for a member title change for guy. Can we add 'Datsun saint' to his profile pic! Or something related to Lazarus?

Simply amazing Guy. It is sad to admit, but think I would have left her to be reclaimed by the weeds had I seen that much cancer. You are a hero.

I am voting for a member title change for guy. Can we add 'Datsun saint' to his profile pic! Or something related to Lazarus?

I like (Datsun Saint) Thanks you guy's.

What are you guys grinding it down with?

Awesome work!! It's so inspiring to see something where nothing was!!! I'm sure I'm not the only one that appreciates all the pics. Gives a great idea of how to do it ourselves. Makes more guys believe that it's "do-able".....so maybe they won't scrap the next rig that has some rust. I scrapped a '68 wgn because I didn't have the tools at the time. Sure would like to have it now :)

Mike, This is what i'm using to grind down the welds with.

2 1/2" cut off wheel, 2" sanding disc, 60 grit and 120 grit, scrubing pad.

DSC04081.jpg

I use the edge of the 2 1/2" cut off wheel, in a back and forth motion, to carve all inside curves and other hard to reach places to shape and contour.

DSC04083.jpg

DSC04085.jpg

After that, I use the 2" 60 grit sanding disc to finish the shape. The 120 grit and the scrubing pad to smooth things out. thanks, Guy.

• 2 weeks later...

Man Guy. I don't know how you know what shape to even make some of that stuff it is so deterioriated. I am trying to sweet talk a fellow south of me out of Datsun '59 sedan. I haven't even seen it and he says it is rusty. Seeing you work makes me terrorified and inspired all at once.

Man Guy. I don't know how you know what shape to even make some of that stuff it is so deterioriated. I am trying to sweet talk a fellow south of me out of Datsun '59 sedan. I haven't even seen it and he says it is rusty. Seeing you work makes me terrorified and inspired all at once.

fisch, The drivers side had more metal there, So I had the idea of what it should look like, I think!. The rust areas are not large. I take upclose photos, So the rust areas do look large. The flat areas are easier to do, But the compound areas do take a little more thinking and work. I'm doing a little at a time so it will come out good. Not rushing at all. Wait until you see the work I have to do on the A-pillar around the window, Thats going to take alot of pieces. Thanks, GUY.

fisch, The drivers side had more metal there, So I had the idea of what it should look like, I think!. The rust areas are not large. I take upclose photos, So the rust areas do look large. The flat areas are easier to do, But the compound areas do take a little more thinking and work. I'm doing a little at a time so it will come out good. Not rushing at all. Wait until you see the work I have to do on the A-pillar around the window, Thats going to take alot of pieces. Thanks, GUY.

That A pillar is really gone.:eek: I can't wait to see your magic on that area. Super nice work so far.