New to the Site

I am writing to introduce myself.  I just bought a 1969 Datsun 510.  I've been a fan of the car since the early 1970's when I got a great slot car track for Christmas and it came with the BRE Racing 510s.  My son and I are big fans of vintage racing and the Datsuns we've seen have been among our favorites.  My car is sort of a racer resto (I'm told it was autocrossed).  It has a Rebello 1.6 with Mikuni sidedraft carbs, a Z car 5 speed and a Subaru diff.  It has a half roll cage and a fuel cell. The car is in great shape cosmetically and I'm torn about whether I want to race it or keep it as a street rod.  It would require a full cage, a better fuel cell, fire suppression and other mods to make it a "real" race car.  Either way I want to keep it street legal as I would just be looking to run in a handful of nearby events, the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix and Watkins Glen events principally.

I look forward to hearing your input and experience with these issues and to learning more about your cars.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks all. I'm in Johnstown, Pennsylvania (60 miles East of Pittsburgh). I'll shoot and post some pics later today.

My sense is that the car is too nice to race and setting it up to do so would make driving it on the street a real pain in the butt.

When I post the pics I'll identify some issues on which I could use your advice.

So if it's gonna be a street car I'd like to switch out the seats for something more comfortable and install 3-point belts. The Sparcos aren't compatible with my girth and the 4-point belts are a struggle.  Any good ideas for a substitute?

I'd like to drop the car a bit.  The suspension has some good Ermish components but could use new coil overs.  Recommendations? 

I like the Panasports but I'm partial to the Gray VTO LeMans wheels.  Futofab a good outfit to deal with?

The car has Wilwood front brakes and finned aluminum drums from a Z car on the rear.  I think I'm set there.

Looking forward to your collective thoughts.

So if it's gonna be a street car I'd like to switch out the seats for something more comfortable and install 3-point belts. The Sparcos aren't compatible with my girth and the 4-point belts are a struggle.  Any good ideas for a substitute?

I'd like to drop the car a bit.  The suspension has some good Ermish components but could use new coil overs.  Recommendations? 

I like the Panasports but I'm partial to the Gray VTO LeMans wheels.  Futofab a good outfit to deal with?

The car has Wilwood front brakes and finned aluminum drums from a Z car on the rear.  I think I'm set there.

Looking forward to your collective thoughts.

Ditch the seats and steering wheel, keep the panasports over getting vto's. As far as coilovers there's ground control, techno toy, troy ermish, or make your own. Takatta makes harnesses as well I know a lot of folks go with those.

1969Datsun510extpfront2_zps6f6e4284.jpg

1969Datsun510extdfront_zps1bb75dad.jpg

1969Datsun510intpseat_zpsc1173c23.jpg

1969Datsun510intddash1_zps17a28121.jpg

1969Datsun510engd1_zps2e862995.jpg

1969Datsun510trunkd_zps32c3aa57.jpg

Beautiful car.  It'd be fun to take it to a track day, but I'd be too scared to actually race it.  It's just too purdy.

In your photobucket, click the "share links", then click the "IMG" code.  It'll copy automatically.  Then post here for embedded pictures. 

• Like 3

Nice car, be sure to drive it as much as possible(daily). These old cars behave better when they are exercised regularly.  Should not be to hard to sell the seats and find something more period correct. You mentioned that it has T.E. front coilovers and that you want it lower. Is it possible that you could thread them down further to get the ride height that you are looking for?

Panasports are nice wheels, but it is your car and should have the wheels You want.

You know what they say about opinions...

Welcome to the jungle.

• Like 1

Drive it everyday? Hell NO. some girl on her I- phone is going to listen to, All about that bass, then BAM your rear end is smashed.

I think everything looks GREAT

I like the Panaspoorts but previos owner could have gotton wider rims. They almost look like 6 inch Panapasorts.

If you know your wheels I think some CCW classics would loook good.

also lower the front a bit more to get the Rake look. either cut a spring or if coil over buy a shorter one standard are 8 but coem in shorter sizes

LOWER the front call it good. your done you have a nice car keep it that way

Thanks for all the input.  She's been stowed away for the winter at this point, no salt or cinders if I can help it.  I really like the panasports and my desire to change the wheels probably has more to do with me wanting to put my mark on the car.  You've convinced me to stick with them.  I'm gonna research seats.  I think a set of low buckets would look best. For the future I assume I should direct most of my attention to the 510/1600 board. I love seeing what car nuts do to their cars.  

Thanks for all the input.  She's been stowed away for the winter at this point, no salt or cinders if I can help it.  I really like the panasports and my desire to change the wheels probably has more to do with me wanting to put my mark on the car.  You've convinced me to stick with them.  I'm gonna research seats.  I think a set of low buckets would look best. For the future I assume I should direct most of my attention to the 510/1600 board. I love seeing what car nuts do to their cars.  

Try some subaru wrx seats those are comfy, I was actually trying to score a set off my buddies ride after it had an engine fire but he already had a buyr for the car

Nice dime! I was wondering what happened to this one. Haven't seen it for a while.

I have Z32 300ZX seats. Comfortable, have some lumbar support, and sit pretty low to the ground if you're tall.. Driver seat has full power adjustment, passenger is manual. It'll require cutting out the factory seat brackets (if not cut already) and making some mounts. They have their own brackets. Mine are bolted in with some angle iron bent to around 45 degrees. You could probably find a pair from a parts car and get them reupholstered.

Driver seat backing is pushed out a little more because there's a blanket stuffed in there.

E1EDE4F4-C9FA-4B35-99D1-2F8E94552008_zps

AA69CE53-E223-4B79-A520-DE362F7378E2_zps

Looks like stock struts?

I thinks so.  When I took the car to a race shop in Pittsburgh for a going over and tune, the fella there was surprised by the mix of good suspension parts and the screwed up attempt at coil-overs in the front.  That's why I figure it would be worth my while to change them out.  

My only other real beef with the car is how sloppy the steering is, a lot of play in the wheel, not as direct and "go-kartish" as I expected and would like.  Any answers there? New linkage? Steering block plate?