4 doors in WA project 510 Ka24e Turbo

jeph

haha especially some lime green painted over dirt and oil while it was raining out lol is what it looks like.

random question about the ka swap.

instead of cutting the crossmember and flipping it cant you just unbolt the whole crossmember and flip it and bolt it back on? and flip the bolts for the control arms?

I did that. Used a hole saw to chop out the sleeves for the LCA bolts and flipped and rewelded them in so the taper works out. Problem is that the framerails on the 510 are slightly tapered so the mounting holes of the front xmember were slotted slightly to work out. It works just fine. Easier than making 2 nice straight cuts so the middle part of the xmember can be flipped nicely IMO. 

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

well the body shop has been soo busy lately i guess they said they are swamped in the summer so i gotta wait a few more weeks to drop my 510 off so in the meantime i got some new wheels for it from my friends shop for cost so couldn't pass it up. the tires i had at home were too small but i got a idea of how their going to fit.

they are 15x8 0offset ill have pics up when i get home.

well the body shop has been soo busy lately i guess they said they are swamped in the summer so i gotta wait a few more weeks to drop my 510 off so in the meantime i got some new wheels for it from my friends shop for cost so couldn't pass it up. the tires i had at home were too small but i got a idea of how their going to fit.

they are 15x8 0offset ill have pics up when i get home.

Hurry the fuck up man!!!

• Like 2

Well i finally got a date today from the body shop and im dropping it off sept 4th! cant wait, cant believe its gunna cost 1000$ for only body work but i guess epoxy primer is expensive and the welding and bringing the whole car to bare metal, but im no bodyman so ill just take their word lol.

A pic of it waiting for sept 4th to come!

20140801_215855_zps231d9727.jpg

heres the new wheels i got, im not liking the thin tires too much so going to buy new ones after body work.

20140815_193724_zps88968c58.jpg

20140815_193812_zps8d784ed3.jpg

yes tires are way to skinny i only mounted one to see how the rims fit on the car, and yes the bead is seated lol, these tires are 165/45r15 but im pretty sure i can stuff a 195/50 in there without rubbing i will find out after i get it back from body work.

what im gunna do ahead of time is roll the fenders as much as i can then have them do body work to clean it up.

This was a 15x7 0offset with 205/50 meats and it only rubbed if i had 2 people in the back seat.

20140419_130147_zps0032a1f9.jpg

but the car is now 2 inches higher and my new rims are same offset but 1 inch wider so i should be able to fit a 195/50

• 2 weeks later...

not a huge update but this past week has been crazy.. got rear ended the other day in my lexus (cars fine took it like a champ and diddnt damage the japanese tail lights or wing) anyway was sitting at a light and a nissan sentra hit me going 35.. i had a neck injury tore some muscles but im healing up great.

anyway because of the high miles on my car they totaled it out and gave me a check for blue book value even though i got more then bluebook in suspension and wheels and tires but anyway now i got money for goodies for the 510!

picked up some normal sized tires today 195/50 compared to the 165/45 crap lol

20140829_200234_zpsf3d709b7.jpg

datsun is getting dropped off on the 4th and i should have it back before the 12th then the swap starts! im ordering the turbo stuff and whole gasket set and timing chain, water pump ect for the ka.

• Like 2

little update got some parts for my ka swap off craigslist for deals today!

brand new garrett 42/48 turbo should work great on the ka on 7lbs or so, i got it for 60$!!! price was so good cant believe people were low balling him.

20140830_183918_zpseb856893.jpg

i also found all this and a brand new intercooler for 60$!!! after i sent the guy a email it was the same guy i got the turbo from lol! i guess he was cleaning out his shop and just wanted to get rid of everything.

20140831_111601_zps54050334.jpg

only thing left for the kit is manifold and from all the turbo civics ive had i only really trust cast iron manifolds for lasting a long time and the strength, i found a ka24e cast iron manifold on ebay for only 153 shipped so ordering that next week along with arp headstuds and cometic headgasket.

• Like 1

well turns out they dont make aftermarket headgaskets for ka24e's and only make them for dual cam ka's so a oem nissan one will have to do, pulled the motor apart tonight to clean up the block and get the head ready for resurface, hot tank, pressure check tomarrow.

20140905_200427_zps8202cd4c.jpg

20140905_200451_zps8e36541d.jpg

20140905_193940_zps59386c0f.jpg

20140905_211140_zpsb9533afb.jpg

What are you doing for engine management?

i was thinking of buying Nistune but i dont have any 240 friends in WA thats used it before so im still not sure, this is my first turbo car running MAF so im still not sure how these work lol.

im used to turbo hondas which use map sensor and wont even run without a full tune, compared to these engines that pretty much tune their self lol.

Well the KA if not tuned perfectly will scatter pretty quick. The KA24E has higher compression which makes it even more sensitive.

I ran the Nistune on my sr20 like 10yrs ago and loved it. Problem is it hasn't changed much. After talking with John Kerr at Nismotronics I decide on his system for my KA24DET. One HUGE difference is Nismotronics can run MAP. With Nistune you'll need to run the 300zx MAF which is a finicky bitch. Nismotronics also has expanded maps which is great plus he's constantly developing to add functionality.

Josh-

• Like 1

Well the KA if not tuned perfectly will scatter pretty quick. The KA24E has higher compression which makes it even more sensitive.

I ran the Nistune on my sr20 like 10yrs ago and loved it. Problem is it hasn't changed much. After talking with John Kerr at Nismotronics I decide on his system for my KA24DET. One HUGE difference is Nismotronics can run MAP. With Nistune you'll need to run the 300zx MAF which is a finicky bitch. Nismotronics also has expanded maps which is great plus he's constantly developing to add functionality.

Josh-

do they support single cam ka's? another reason i was leaning towards nistune is they have a setup for ka24e ecu's and its fairly cheap, and i work at a electronics company so installing the board would be easy for me to do and it would be like 480 for the whole setup.

i also only plan on 7-9lbs of boost as i feel that will be plenty of power in a 510.