Project Datstang

Bory

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

957D8CAC-55F8-403C-AD79-FFDA7C7156DF_zps

Here it's kinda hard to see how close the steering box is to the remote oil filter fitting. The oil filter would stick out towards the box by at least 5". So the filter will be mounted on the fender well and the return line will run to the oil cooler at the bed.

957D8CAC-55F8-403C-AD79-FFDA7C7156DF_zps

Here it's kinda hard to see how close the steering box is to the remote oil filter fitting. The oil filter would stick out towards the box by at least 5". So the filter will be mounted on the fender well and the return line will run to the oil cooler at the bed.

by the time you get done your middle name will be "tight fit" beleive me i know

1F4D8F84-85F1-4A40-9DD0-277598CCC519_zps

So heres what the new engine bay looks like, I hope I don't have to lift the cab off again you can only imagine how many times I did that 872B3EBF-1D42-43F3-A3E3-F0A2E0096D01_zps

Notice how close the bolt is off the pulley tensioner, it's actually partly under the core support

• Like 1

8979643A-FF8F-4BA1-B90E-1233B5EDDC85_zps

This view is from above looking at the steering shaft, that is the u-joint at the firewall80D96AA9-C56A-431A-B8FA-7D4C0C29A71B_zps

This is thru the fender well, and you can also see the second u-joint off the steering box. I'm using 1-2" copper pipe to mock up the length of shaft.

• Like 1

Now as you know the factory shaft is a solid pipe that runs all the way up to the wheel, then it has the inner shaft that the wheel actually turns. I cut the outer pipe 2" from the flange that bolts or to the box. And I cut the steering shaft (inner) 3/4" longer than the outer. The u-joint will mount to the inner shaft from there. One other thing I have to keep in mind is I need to make a seal that fits over the outer tube and seals against the shaft to keep the gear oil in. Ok so stay with me, the inner shaft locates at two points at the steering box and with a plastic bushing way at the top just behind the wheel. After I cut and welded a flange on the outer shaft to mount to the firewall, I had to figure out a way to keep the slop out of the shaft at the base of the outer tube at the firewall. So this is what I came up with. A9F95B22-BB9A-4708-A84D-70F71DD86AA6_zps

Middle and right is scrap left over from the two shafts cus I shortened it a bit cus I'm 6'-1". On the left is the bushing that I cut out of some real hard plastic used for bushing on aircraft. Notice that it's off center to help cheat it down some. 7C7F75A0-BD30-4B90-A2E8-9EFF92FB3267_zps

So when mounted like so it will look like this. These are just to show you guys. The actual one has a flange that will screw to the firewall

91BDAEE5-3369-421B-AE5B-5FF48AD45CE7_zps

• 2 weeks later...