Project Datstang

Bory

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bory just wondering what made you do that idea with the exhaust in the bed?Also the bed the way you cut it and are spreading it over the fender wells,that does not put stress over to other parts of the bed,metal has some elastisity but stretching the middle would that not cause cracks else were.Not bashing by the way just learning i love the V-8 conversion stuff,i wish i just did that sometimes myself. 

• Like 1

@Bory: The only reason i didn't hit the like button on every one of your posts is because i would come off as a stalker.  Great build man.

Looking good,The ford was a good choice considering the distributor is in the front and you don't have to hack up the fire wall.Is it going to be stock or you putting some go fast goodies on the 5.0.

It was the only correct choice

• Like 2

Hippocratic oath followed by all doctors is... "do no harm". I would add to modifying Datsuns... "do no harm to the body" but that's me. This could have been done without cutting the tailgate and making the bed a hot house, quieter with tail pipes too. Now that would have been my "badassss". Very interesting build all the same.

• Like 2

Wow thanks guys don't know what to say. I think of these things and I make it work. My ideas come from tryin new stuff it's easy to copy what's out there, and there is no challenge in that. All cars I build I try to do stuff that is not out there. The stretching the bed works like this, if you separate it enough, from front to back, it creates enough movement to stretch it 7/8", and that's only at the fender,it reduces to nothing at the front and back. The s shaped frame rails that make up the strength under the bed were welded back in so there will not be continuous movement. You can't get 4" out of it, but 7/8" pretty easy to do successfully. I put the exhaust in the bed for two reasons. One, I need the air under the truck as cool as possible, cus that's the air intake. Two, I have never seen it done. So there you go.

• Like 3

Yeah the Ford 5.0 makes no sound when the cam is missing. It makes a glorious sound otherwise, much better than a Chevy. The sound changed totally when they switched to the H.O. firing order in the mid-80s.

Definitely!  I first noticed that when I had the 289 in my '65 FB, and my buddy had his '90 GT with the 5.0.  I was jealous of the sound difference.  But there was actually three sound changes.  First was the 289/302, then the firing order changed when they badged it a 5.0, but I don't remember if that was also in-conjunction with the introduction of EFI... And the Third was the H.O like you said.  For that they put in a 351/5.8L cam which changed the firing order again.   I learned that last one the hard way when I dropped a '95 5.0 H.O. in my Bronco.  At the time I was sure all 5.0L were the same firing order! :blush:   It took me a while to figure out why the engine just never had as much power as I thought it should.  One day I just happened to come across the difference in the book.   And no, I'm not on any Ford Forums...  I'm pretty celibate to this one! :D

Changed the firing order??? Do you mean to wasted spark? Because changing the spark order would also change the cam / valve timing too.

I'm not following what your question pertains to....

Ford changed the cams and firing order through the years.

My issue was that I had the spark plug wires going to the distributor in the wrong order.  I was under the impression that all 5.0L's had the same firing order, but the H.O. 5.0L ('94 and up for sure) uses a 5.8L cam which uses a different firing order.

I had one of the first 5.0 badged cars, and it had the old firing order. It wasn't until the H.O. in 1982 that they changed. For a while some 5.0 had the old firing order yet in the same year some had the new.

It changed from the classic burbly sound (like an old mustang) to the new muscle sound which was immortalized in the 1988 GT commercial.

• Like 1

JTC, the spot I picked for the holes was right on the bottom corners but without cutting into the flanges so it would not weaken the tail gate. And the holes themselves are not into the letters just the bezels are.

• Like 1