• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks J

Lost my email I started this account with so now I'm back and runnin!

D23808DB-1263-4CB9-AA1A-B9F4F3C417DC_zps

Here is my newly finished wheel order

It's a 20"x10" with a 6" back space

• Like 5

Ya I hear ya, but keep in mind that the frame rail is of boxed in design, which makes it way stronger, plus now that the leaf springs are gone all engine torque is now in front of the notch, thanks to the new 4 link, huh?

Yes, but all the load from the suspension is now behind the weakest part of the frame. This will act as a lever and the "hinge" will be at the notch, the thinnest part of the structure. You will likely see fatigue failures (cracks) there over time. 

At the least you should reinforce the notch, the best thing would be to move the coil overs in front of the notch. Up to you though. :)

• Like 1

DFAD5CA4-90CE-405B-A6C5-993565F81F90_zps

Getting ready for rear glass cut, gonna do a flush mount glu down with trim rubber rather than the factory rubber, to do this the glass has to be larger on all sides.

So after using factory glass as a pattern, I cut it into 1/4's,

Allowing to stretch it to size and fine tune the shape with a Popsicle stick for end gap. So this is showing the finished pattern for my glass guy to cut to match the grey one piece side glass.

• Like 3

Love your enthusiasm J!

Can't hang the front till I get some balljoint suspension bits back from blu hands! But we have a dead line of April fools day. Oh shoot he's gonna mess with me now!!

• Like 3

Look how sick the direction mike blu hands genious is headed in with my 13" front rotor set up!

3EDF4276-060C-4CA4-BF08-6AB19472938A_zps

1A474CE3-B717-4C81-BF7A-790C2B68778B_zps

Soooooo, where are we on these? I want to see those front on.  :frantics:

Are the Wilwood kits for the factory drum rear?

• Like 1

Love your enthusiasm J!

Can't hang the front till I get some balljoint suspension bits back from blu hands! But we have a dead line of April fools day. Oh shoot he's gonna mess with me now!!

......did I say this year?   :)

• Like 2

Nearly everything I do is in vid these days so I rarely upload pics to my photobucket anymore.  Seems all the vids related to the ball joint mod are still waiting to be edited.  I put out updates quite often, but they're on Instagram....which I typically share to my facebook, as well.  Anyway....I just put up a good pic of the CAD art for the UCA. :)

2016%20Flat%20UCA%20Asm2.jpg

• Like 5

Blu Hands!

That is absolutely Gorgeous!!

Can't believe I'll be one of the first ones to run this set up, and also with 5 lug!!

I'm starting a count down right now. To the 1st! Just like my kids do at Christmas!

• Like 2

It won't look exactly like that, but pretty close.

Figured out how to bore the hole for the cup on the LCA pivot today.....worked great on the test piece.  I'll do the 4 real arms tomorrow.  I got the plates prepped for the UCA arms....hopefully, start milling on those tomorrow too.  90% of the work is complete on the tierod connectors. 

• Like 1

In process pics.....

The tierod connectors from the HB setup are very close.....but the thread engagement is already at the min.....so I need another inch of engagement to feel comfortable.  They're going to be really beefy, but it's material I already have on hand.  The hex shaped one is stock, the round part is the raw blank, waiting to be machined and tapped with both left and right M16x1.5 taps.  The other 4 pieces are the cups for the LCA pivot.

20160322_110626.jpg

These are the tension control rod mounts that will attach to the HB LCA on the underside, near the ball joint.  The HB TC rod simply bolts to the LCA.....but this setup needs to use the stock kingpin TC rod for a couple of reasons.  The frosted one is the test piece made several years ago.  The other 4 pieces are the new ones that were milled out and then bent.  I still need to make the attachment plates.

20160324_103441.jpg

I used the cnc mill to machine the pivot hole out to the size needed for the "cup".  The cup narrows the arm so that the 521 sun bolt can be used.....which will clear the steering linkage.

20160326_152648.jpg
  • Like 1

28370FDF-A026-404F-8908-848FCE8EFD3F_zps

Here's a 3/4 angle so far it seems pretty good as per sending unit and fuely pump which was all extra.

But now have15.5 gallons should work good with the atomic MSD fuel injection.

• Like 1

Hurry the hell up Klotz!  :poke:

:lol:

Things would go a lot faster if I had someone to massage my balls while I'm working!!!!  :)  

Seriously......I haven't been this busy in years!!  I think I've been in the shop everyday for the last 3-4 weeks.  I came home friday morning at 7:50am....was in the shop working at 8am.....did not leave the shop until 2:30pm.....not even to take a piss!  Haven't felt this kind of pain in years!  I'm so taking a break after this has shipped!!  :)   The work hasn't been entirely on these parts....had to work on the mill in preparation for these parts.....got the Powermatic bandsaw working.....to make these parts.....brought in the second sandblast cabinet(nearly done with it's mods) for these parts.........so busy!!  

• Like 3

Mike (Mr. Bluehands):

Your work on "proper" A-arms for a balljoint conversion is fascinating.

Bory, I recently sold a 400-hp SBF TR-6. Reading this build makes me want to take a ride in your truck. I bet this is a well-balanced driver when it is done. You seem to have thought carefully about your modifications and I am anxious to see the final version. I bet that a/c will work sweet, too.

The TR had a Jack Roush SBF with dual fours, WC custom geared T5 and four bar 3.25 Currie rear. It used a frontrunner setup too, with Compact Mini a/c. I wish it had been built with efi, but with a fresh tight mill and .63 OD it still got 20 mpg averaging 85 for 2,700 mile trip back to Calif from Florida.

This will be a very nice truck. Just don't add up your parts invoices ... lol! You don't really want to know.

Are you going to take it to JCCS? 

• Like 2

Thanks O3,

Ya this build leaves no room for error cus there's no room to start with. So your right on how much time is being spent on design, and layout. I have to do a remote condenser that I just got, it was gonna put it under the rear, and the fuel tank in the back of the bed, and I decided to reverse that order, so radiator and condenser will be drawing fresh air from two different locations.sounds like your 6 was a blast to own!!

Prolly not gonna have the Darstang ready for that run.

• Like 1

F94801E3-CE67-44F5-990A-50ED6884C1A0_zps

The straps worked out pretty well, I mounted the pivot bolt on the channel I made for the new bed location. So it will be mounted to the bed and the frame

• Like 2

I don't want to keep posting my stuff in Bory's thread and essentially, double posting the same stuff........so maybe I'll just throw a link in when I put new stuff up in my thread.  The "Mend" project is what the ball joints were originally being designed for.  I'll probably post the brake stuff here when I get to it in a day or two.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/8175-mklotz70-project-mend/page-41?do=findComment&comment=1367522

• Like 1