Eatlag's Question/Progress Thread

EatLag

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys basically my thermostat is stuck open so the temp gauge barely moves and it hasn't affected me much although it's hard to warm up In the mornings but my thereoy is the coolant never stops flowing so it will never have the chance to cool so say If I was about todo 4 hours highway travel would this cause any damage or inhibit its ability? If not do I need bother replacing it?

Pop the hoods and check the ID plates for gear ratios
82 (83???) could be 4.38s....whereas the 84 could be 4.11
Measure the trannies...short ...long?
Even if the trannies are of a different length, they can still be swapped.
Consoles the same length?

Long trannie uses the short propeller shaft.
Short trannie.................long propeller shaft.
pshaft3.jpg

Transfer cases could have a different companion flange....which again....can be swapped

Most parts interchange...well worth it to have a parts truck
Pics......

Sorry if you guys think im spamming the forums with pointless shit but...

1983 datsun 720, with a nissan z24 engine.., the dash has a tacho but i cannot locate an wires or plugs anywhere! for it, so i'm thinking of buying this in the next coming days

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/SAAS-Gauge-Black-Face-52mm-Tacho.aspx?pid=288330#Cross

what is involved in the process as i don't know anything about engines, or what even a coil is, (i'm not even kidding) but i like to learn through experience so if someone could give me a "how to" specific for this specific engine it would be greatly appreciated i understand stand, battery and ground connection but how do i "tap" into this coil or whatever?

If this is a round gauge, the tach just plugs into the dash cluster I believe. The guy to ask for this is http://community.ratsun.net/user/2344-sealik/

It would help if you had a project thread and all these posts could be kept together. Way easier for everyone to find.

This.

I'm looking at a round 720 tach. I would have to go ou in the garage to chech the gauge cluster. I can't remember if the wires are on the harness ior inside the cluster. I'll check later. One way or another the wires will be there somewhere.